When is Todd Jones coming back? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

When is Todd Jones coming back?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

When is Todd Jones coming back?

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:34 pm

I have Rodney, and am thinking of dropping him when Jones returns (my league doesn't count holds & we have no bench to stash players, we have to start everyone - it's a 5x5 standard cat league).
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Another Blown Save » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:36 pm

Rotoworld wrote:According to the Detroit News, Todd Jones (hamstring) will not return when he's eligible to come off the disabled list April 17.
The Tigers are expected to have him pitch in a simulated game next week before making a decision on what to do next.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby zoolander » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:29 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:
Rotoworld wrote:According to the Detroit News, Todd Jones (hamstring) will not return when he's eligible to come off the disabled list April 17.
The Tigers are expected to have him pitch in a simulated game next week before making a decision on what to do next.

Bummer, I need saves. But at least he's coming back way before some of my other (early) injured players.
"There has got to be more to life than being really, really, really, ridiculously good-looking." -- D. Zoolander (2001)
zoolander
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:13 pm

Sportsline is reporting he will throw simulated games Tuesday and Wednesday and is planning on returning to the team April 21st at Seattle
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby AKhomebrewer » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:25 pm

Just a heads-up not to ditch Rodney immediately upon Todd's return ... often closers will be 'eased' back into the ninth-inning job after returning from injuries.

You'll have to watch the situation and see how the Tigers use him. Worse case, he could prove ineffective and this could be a reverse deja vu (supplant the injured Mota one season/give way to Rodney the next).

It never helps an injured guy's cause when the 'replacement' excels.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 6)

Postby zoolander » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:31 pm

AKhomebrewer wrote:Just a heads-up not to ditch Rodney immediately upon Todd's return ... often closers will be 'eased' back into the ninth-inning job after returning from injuries.

You'll have to watch the situation and see how the Tigers use him. Worse case, he could prove ineffective and this could be a reverse deja vu (supplant the injured Mota one season/give way to Rodney the next).

It never helps an injured guy's cause when the 'replacement' excels.

Sounds like good advice.
"There has got to be more to life than being really, really, really, ridiculously good-looking." -- D. Zoolander (2001)
zoolander
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby moose32 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:05 pm

Rodney went 2 innings today, time to ship Jones out of Detroit
moose32
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:19 am

moose32 wrote:Rodney went 2 innings today, time to ship Jones out of Detroit

...and looked terrible. he almost blew the game in the 9th (granted the Tigers made him sit for 15 minutes while they made their comeback).

Also, Jones was activated today. Leyland said he'll probably pitch an inning or two in a non-save situation before reclaiming the closer role
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mcd285 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:29 am

Apr 20 Updating previous items, Janie McCauley, of the Associated Press, reports the Detroit Tigers activated CL Todd Jones (hamstring) from the 15-day disabled list after the team's game Thursday, April 20.

Apr 20 After pitching simulated games Tuesday and Wednesday in Oakland, Jones was activated from the disabled list on Thursday. The Tigers' closer, who is coming back from a hamstring injury, will be available when Detroit plays at Seattle this weekend.
Advice: Tigers manager Jim Leyland may not use Jones in the ninth inning immediately, giving him time to find his rhythm.
mcd285
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bAsKeTcAsE86 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:05 am

Personally, I think that there is a good chance that Rodney holds on to the job. I would definitely hold on to him even after Jones is activated. Jones will probably be given a chance to reclaim the role, but aging relief pitchers coming off of injuries during the season do not typically perform well, and I don't expect Jones (who I never thought was that dominating a pitcher to begin with) to be an exception to the rule. Rodney may have looked shaky in his last outing but look at his statistics so far. Granted it is a small sample-size, but I think he brings more to the table right now than Jones, and as a young, emerging pitcher, he has room for growth. Personally, if I were Leyland, I wouldn't mess with the closer position because "if it ain't broke, then why fix it?"
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe
bAsKeTcAsE86
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Injuries & Player Updates