Jonny Gomes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jonny Gomes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby warrick95 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:18 am

He could easily hit .250 in a year.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5440
Joined: 27 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The empty seat next to the Tampa Bay heckler

Postby nirjraina » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:50 am

I dont think he will hit for a great average or anything, but is .270 really that hard to imagine? Hes looking good so far this year and has 13BBs to go with 12Ks. That aside i think most of his value over Howard is tied up in steals. Hes not the fastest guy but the Rays do send him a lot. He will get thrown out a lot but Im confident of 10 steals as a bare minimum. All things being equal Id still take Howard given the opportunity but its a lot closer than most people think. Gomes has posted an .883 OPS with a .270 BA over 412 big league atbats now. Thats a pretty good sample size, he might not improve but he wont get worse either. Howard has posted a .909 OPS over 389 ABs. Adjust them for position and it gets interesting doesnt it?
nirjraina
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 88
Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NikkiSixx » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:23 am

cordscords wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:
cordscords wrote:Low average, around 30 dingers.

Plenty of players I'd rather have over him.


low average? I would say .270 at the absolute lowest, .300 is his ceiling.


.270 at the absolute lowest?

somebody needs to do some tweaking to their projections


Why? Would you like me to have the exact same projection as you on every player?

My projections are fine.


cords, wanna bet that Gomes hits at least .270 this year? thats one you will easily lose.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2587
(Past Year: 432)
Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 1st place!

Postby cordscords » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:19 am

NikkiSixx wrote:
cordscords wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:
cordscords wrote:Low average, around 30 dingers.

Plenty of players I'd rather have over him.


low average? I would say .270 at the absolute lowest, .300 is his ceiling.


.270 at the absolute lowest?

somebody needs to do some tweaking to their projections


Why? Would you like me to have the exact same projection as you on every player?

My projections are fine.


cords, wanna bet that Gomes hits at least .270 this year? thats one you will easily lose.


You have Gomes hitting .270, Dunn hitting .275, and Wilkerson hitting .280

It's rediculous dude. Next thing I know you are going to be swearing the Pena will hit .400
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4346
(Past Year: 23)
Joined: 23 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:21 pm

I'm expecting big things this year. I can see 30+ HRs and 100+ RBIs. Check here, here, here, here, and here for other Cafe projections. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11421
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Postby NikkiSixx » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:43 pm

cordscords wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:
cordscords wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:
cordscords wrote:Low average, around 30 dingers.

Plenty of players I'd rather have over him.


low average? I would say .270 at the absolute lowest, .300 is his ceiling.


.270 at the absolute lowest?

somebody needs to do some tweaking to their projections


Why? Would you like me to have the exact same projection as you on every player?

My projections are fine.


cords, wanna bet that Gomes hits at least .270 this year? thats one you will easily lose.


You have Gomes hitting .270, Dunn hitting .275, and Wilkerson hitting .280

It's rediculous dude. Next thing I know you are going to be swearing the Pena will hit .400


Johnny Gomes, not as bad of a hitter as you think he is.


Adam Dunn I have hitting about .260-.265 for his career, but I have told you for a while I think he will have a career year and therefore bat .275.


Brad Wilkerson, I figured he would hit .280 leading off in Texas playing in that ball park with that much lineup protection, he is off to a very slow start though, I hope he turns it around. I just really think that Wilkerson this year will end up like Burnitz going to Colorado in 2004, you would have called me crazy if I said Burnitz would hit .280 in '04 I bet.



I have Wily Mo Pena hitting .260.




So Im gonna assume you dont want to bet on the Gomes hitting .270 because you know you will probably lose that one?
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2587
(Past Year: 432)
Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 1st place!

Postby CeeLoGreen » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:35 pm

Boom goes the dynamite. Despite the Batting Average arguement, this kid has got some power. As a Yankee fan living in the Tampa Bay area, all the sports talk radio hosts are extremely high on this kid. Granted, they are biased here in Tampa, but they throw around the phrase "30/30" with this guy alot. I am a little too pesimistic when it comes to the steals aspect, but as far as HRs, this kid could hit 40 before his career is over.

He's on all my teams, he helped me pull out a last day victory in my big money roto league last year.

I hope he hits 35 HRs, 15-20 steals.

P.S. Since you guys are arguing on the over/under of Gomes' batting average, he will hit exactly .270, so your both wrong.
CeeLoGreen
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2534
Joined: 22 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Where Ever I'm At

Postby flowbee » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:35 pm

Gomes his the DH and hitting an explosive .310
Being as he hit .282 last year in 350 at bats...I dont see why he cant hit .280 again.
Yeah he's a free swinger, but a good free swinger ;-D It doesnt matter against lefties or righties

Now lets just see some stolen bases now
flowbee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1011
Joined: 13 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rentz » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:52 pm

.270 with 30hr's seems about right.
im just hoping he add's 10 sb's in there
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4810
Joined: 3 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Jury » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:21 pm

flowbee wrote:Gomes his the DH and hitting an explosive .310
Being as he hit .282 last year in 350 at bats...I dont see why he cant hit .280 again.
Yeah he's a free swinger, but a good free swinger ;-D It doesnt matter against lefties or righties

Now lets just see some stolen bases now


True, but probably the norm for most right handed batters. Since most people are right handed pitchers/batters, everyone gets used to righties, even if you bat right. The most dominance is seen in lefty-lefty matchups because lefty pitchers are not nearly as common, and the added deception of the ball trajectory coming in to a lefty. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3328
Joined: 17 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: colinowen47 and 8 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact