Clemens: Injuries to force early return? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Clemens: Injuries to force early return?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Matthias » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:02 pm

The injuries to any team is not going to shift Roger's timetable. He doesn't care. Everyone's story is he may sign in June/July to a contender and a fat, fat payday. But he's not the National Guard... he's got no obligation to come up now that the regulars are down. Anyone who drafted him... ya got a couple more months yet.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:03 pm

bleach168 wrote:As an insert every team that Clemens has ever played for here fan, I don't want him back. He asked for and received an 18 million dollar one-year deal last year which basically handcuffed us. Just one more player and we win that world series.

This year, he's trying to get all these teams into a bidding war. We've gone out of our way to bend over backwards for him and this is how he's treating us? I'm sick of it. Clemens says one thing and then does another. I don't want to see him in an insert every team that Clemens has ever played for here uniform.

edited for accuracy. :-D
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Jury » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:00 pm

Matthias wrote:The injuries to any team is not going to shift Roger's timetable. He doesn't care. Everyone's story is he may sign in June/July to a contender and a fat, fat payday. But he's not the National Guard... he's got no obligation to come up now that the regulars are down. Anyone who drafted him... ya got a couple more months yet.

Truth be told.

He's not going to be hasty to sign anywhere, but I do believe he will play this season for a good team ;-D
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bceagles04 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:17 pm

can someone tell me why he is trying to get teams in a bidding war?

Is it just to prove how much they want him?

As a Sox fan...I would be stoked to have him join us for a Series run...Shilling, Beckett, and Clemens would be unbeatable in the playoffs...god, I get excited just thinkin about it ;-D

Clemens would also join Schilling, Wake, and Wells as over 40 pitchers on our team. Which is ok for now...but we need to start thinking about hte future. Sorry that was random, but it'd be cool to have 4 40 plus SP's
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jealousblues » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:28 pm

Good luck with your team full of ringers and mercinaries^
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby bleach168 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:11 pm

Matthias wrote:
bleach168 wrote:As an insert every team that Clemens has ever played for here fan, I don't want him back. He asked for and received an 18 million dollar one-year deal last year which basically handcuffed us. Just one more player and we win that world series.

This year, he's trying to get all these teams into a bidding war. We've gone out of our way to bend over backwards for him and this is how he's treating us? I'm sick of it. Clemens says one thing and then does another. I don't want to see him in an insert every team that Clemens has ever played for here uniform.

edited for accuracy. :-D

lol
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby with_pleasure » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:18 pm

bceagles04 wrote:Clemens would also join Schilling, Wake, and Wells as over 40 pitchers on our team. Which is ok for now...but we need to start thinking about hte future. Sorry that was random, but it'd be cool to have 4 40 plus SP's

Wakefield turns 40 in August, and Schilling is 39 all season.
with_pleasure
College Coach
College Coach

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:00 pm

bceagles04 wrote:Clemens would also join Schilling, Wake, and Wells as over 40 pitchers on our team. Which is ok for now...but we need to start thinking about hte future. Sorry that was random, but it'd be cool to have 4 40 plus SP's

Not to threadjack, but Wells is gone after this year, Schill only has one more year on his contract and Clemens would not pitch after this if he comes back. Papelbon will not be a closer next year and Jon Lester is available as a starter next year. In FA, the Sox could go after Escobar, Zito, Lilly, Davis, or Schmidt for short money, if they wanted to.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bceagles04 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:42 pm

with_pleasure wrote:

Wakefield turns 40 in August, and Schilling is 39 all season.

Sorry...should have checked up on my stats...but in all reality...Wake will be 40...and Schilling is close enough for him to feel the efects of being "over the hill"

Anyway...Wells is bad...if we got Clemens he is here 4 months max...which leaves Beckett and Schill who would leave after the next year most likely.

The Sox really need some help from the young guns/FA's. If Papelbon can close this year, then move to starter I would be stoked. Jon Lester is supposed to be a huge talent and hopefully he can make the jump next year as well. I think this next season/offseason will be vital to the sox success over the next 5 years.
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Matthias » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:27 pm

Now here's the team that I think Roger belongs on:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/a ... d_clemens/

Rox make a playful pitch to land Clemens
April 25, 2006

There's a new team making a powerful bid in the Roger Clemens sweepstakes -- the independent (and independent-thinking) Brockton Rox.

The minor league team announced yesterday it is pulling out all the stops to get Clemens's name on a contract when its Can-Am League season begins May 25. For starters, said Rox president Jim Lucas, ''A future Hall of Famer deserves an Opening Day start, and of all the teams going after him, we are the only ones who can offer that."

That part of the Rox' offer can't happen after one of Clemens's agents said yesterday that the Rocket won't pitch in May.

But the team is offering other perks to Clemens, whom the Red Sox, Yankees, Astros, and Rangers would love to have pitch one more season.

Rox general manager Andy Crossley said Clemens only has to show up the days he's pitching, and the team will provide plane tickets (coach only) to get him back and forth from his Texas home. An intern will be assigned to carry his bags, he'd get a private parking space in the Brockton High School lot, and he'd be assigned a host family if needed.

Money? The Rox are offering the Rocket the maximum monthly salary of $3,000 on Opening Day (May will be pro-rated).

The only possible drawback to the promotion-loving Rox' offer? Clemens will be given his own locker with rocking chair. Will the 43-year-old consider that an enticement or a slight?
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers