Can anyonen explain why Shelton is batting 6th? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Can anyonen explain why Shelton is batting 6th?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Joe Mauer » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:40 pm

smith1051 wrote:Just went yard again

ugh.....man....I am kicking myself....totally....oh well.

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby High and Inside » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:44 pm

I believe he batted 6th on Opening day and Leyland has kept him there throughout. Why mess with a good thing, it's only probably cost him a handful of AB at most this year.
High and Inside
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Matthias » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:38 pm

kid a wrote:Everyone was right, straight from a Detroit newspaper this morning,:

"After Thames batted cleanup, Leyland was asked why he didn't move Chris Shelton from sixth to fourth in the order. Leyland said that Shelton was hitting so well that he didn't want to change things, adding: "I'm not the most superstitious guy in the world. But I would consider myself a blooming idiot if I moved him out of the sixth spot.""

like i figured. baseball players (and managers) are people who will sometimes go 6 weeks without wearing a new pair of underwear because that particular pair is "hot", for goodness sake.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TB13 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:28 pm

kid a wrote:Everyone was right, straight from a Detroit newspaper this morning,:

"After Thames batted cleanup, Leyland was asked why he didn't move Chris Shelton from sixth to fourth in the order. Leyland said that Shelton was hitting so well that he didn't want to change things, adding: "I'm not the most superstitious guy in the world. But I would consider myself a blooming idiot if I moved him out of the sixth spot.""

Personally, a blooming idiot is one who keeps his best hitter hitting in a not-so-favorable spot in the lineup. Oh, did I forget to mention that said hitter has 8 homers already?
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:44 am

RynMan wrote:Regardless of Shelton's hot start, my projections for him this season have only slightly improved. I would have said 30HR, .300 AVG was not a stretch. Now I'd say the chances of him reaching it is somewhat better.

about the numbers i'm expecting from this point, although 35 bombs could be a possibility

an article i read basically said that Leyland knows he's a young guy and doesnt want to put more pressure on him by moving him up, and if he doesnt perform wreck his confidence by moving him back down
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby dcb991 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:03 am

You guys should calm down it's a long season. Don't forget David Wright batted 6th most of last year and I think his number ended up pretty solid.
dcb991
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:19 am

I don't think pressure has anything to do with it at all. Leyland has the less experienced Granderson hitting leadoff, so he clearly isn't afraid to throw young players into the fire. Don't forget Chris Shelton batted 3rd the majority of his time up in the majors last year and put up a line of .306/.373/.537 for an OPS of .910 Him batting 6th is simply the manager's preference for now. Of course with a hole at #5 in the order right now, I don't see why they don't give it a shot and move him up right after Ordonez and give Ordonez some legit protection. Having an unreliable hitter at #5 IMO can be a rally-killer.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:04 pm

Awesome. Shelton still hitting 6th today and who is that DHing and hitting 5th ahead of him? None other than future hall of famer ALEXIS GOMEZ!!!!
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:35 pm

Figuring that slightly highjacking a thread is better than starting another one about Shelton, has he become for anyone else, "the player that you stop and stay on gamecaster to watch the at bat rather than switch back to the other window"? Most times, I flip to gamecaster, check the scores, stats, etc., and then flip back. But if I see that Shelton is up (for the last couple of days, anyways) I stay on it through the atbat.

Anyone else?
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers