Can anyonen explain why Shelton is batting 6th? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Can anyonen explain why Shelton is batting 6th?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby HunterValentyne » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:00 am

Chris Shelton is going to hit 45 homers, drive in 130 runs and hit about .320. that is not a stretch. anyone who slept and did not pick him up on the waiver wire as he was avaialable in most leagues there after waivers cleared is bitching because they were not wise enought to konw it. same as hafner last year, who by the way would have been the American League MVP were it not for a bean ball
HunterValentyne
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Laean » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:29 am

HunterValentyne wrote:Chris Shelton is going to hit 45 homers, drive in 130 runs and hit about .320. that is not a stretch. anyone who slept and did not pick him up on the waiver wire as he was avaialable in most leagues there after waivers cleared is bitching because they were not wise enought to konw it. same as hafner last year, who by the way would have been the American League MVP were it not for a bean ball

francis the mute? is that you?

so you're basically saying shelton is a 1st/2nd rounder next year? basically arod or pujols without the SBs?

arod 2005 - 124 48 130 21 .321
pujols 2005 - 129 41 117 16 .330

better than miguel cabrera?

cabrera 2005 - 106 33 116 1 .323

you say this after not even 1/12 the season has passed? do you think penny and glavine will be better than harden this year too? because right now they are. how about arroyo? you think he'll be better than carpenter and pedro this year? because once again, right now he is.

normally when people give their opinions, i respect them and don't respond to them in a negative way, no matter how wrong or ridiculous i think they are, but when you say others are "bitching" and basically disrespecting and demeaning other people's opinions just because it's not the same as yours, i think it's fair for other people to start giving their unrestrained thoughts back to you. and frankly, what you just posted here is one of the stupidest things i've ever read in the cafe.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RynMan » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:35 am

Regardless of Shelton's hot start, my projections for him this season have only slightly improved. I would have said 30HR, .300 AVG was not a stretch. Now I'd say the chances of him reaching it is somewhat better.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:49 am

He's hitting 6th out of stubborness. He's going good and Leyland doesn't seem to want to mess with him. On Saturday, due to rest to a few of the regulars, Thames and Inge hit cleanup and 5th respectively, while Shelton stayed at 6th. That shows how dead set Leyland is on leaving him 6th for the time being.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MotorCityKitties » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:57 am

thehat wrote:
thatohiosportsfan wrote:can someone tell me why shelton is doing good? hes not that good in the first, and he certainly shouldn't be having the hottest start in the majors...its kinda gross...

Suggestion...before offering an uninformed opinion on a player, get informed by checking out some numbers. Two things will immediately be accomplished. First, you'll get razzed by guys like me a whole lot less. Second, you'll become a far more proficient fantasy owner, guaranteed.

There's never been much question about Shelton's bat. Check his numbers as a pro. There was doubt about whether he could ever do much more than DH, as his defense was pretty shoddy, but he's improved in that area.

Agree with Ryn that he ought to be hitting cleanup, by the way. Leyland is apparently going with the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" theory, one to which I've never subscribed. Guess it's a good thing Shelton didn't get rolling while hitting in the #8 hole, where Leyland actually toyed with placing him during ST.

He's from Ohio, what do you expect? ;-)
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kid a » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:17 pm

Everyone was right, straight from a Detroit newspaper this morning,:

"After Thames batted cleanup, Leyland was asked why he didn't move Chris Shelton from sixth to fourth in the order. Leyland said that Shelton was hitting so well that he didn't want to change things, adding: "I'm not the most superstitious guy in the world. But I would consider myself a blooming idiot if I moved him out of the sixth spot.""
kid a
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Joe Mauer » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:34 pm

The season is what? just over 2 weeks old? The kids' doing well. Mentaly the 6th spot has less perceived "pressure" than the cleanup spot does. Just reality.

Give it time boys. I don't fault the manager from leaving him there for now. However, if he keeps this up and he is there come May....then there is a legit argument to move him.

Lets let him get his feet a little more wet first.

And I am pissed I didn't get him. Had $4 left to spend on a corner infielder and he went for $5. I wanted him, but I wish him the best.

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby bleach168 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:13 pm

I guess no one has noticed Shelton's 13 K's vs 1 BB.

:-?
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby smith1051 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:23 pm

Just went yard again
smith1051
College Coach
College Coach

Postby roninmedia » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:27 pm

Whoo. Love my starting first baseman.

Why bother walking Shelton when he really has no protection in the line-up? Pitchers can go after him. Plus he is young, so he may not be the most patient hitter around.
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers