Can anyonen explain why Shelton is batting 6th? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Can anyonen explain why Shelton is batting 6th?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Can anyonen explain why Shelton is batting 6th?

Postby TB13 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:47 pm

First it was D. Young ahead? Now Leyland is hitting Thames & Inge ahead of him? Am I missing something?
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:59 pm

my speculation is superstition. he's been doing well there, why change it.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TB13 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:24 pm

Matthias wrote:my speculation is superstition. he's been doing well there, why change it.

Becuase he is arguably the best hitter on the team and would be even better if batting either 3rd or 4th. And becauase he is miles better than those whom I have named. Probably, at this stage, better than either I-Rod or Ordonez.
I do not just say this as a Shelton owner, I say this as a baseball fan. The best hitter on your team should not be batting 6th.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Music2004Man » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:20 pm

TB13 wrote:
Matthias wrote:my speculation is superstition. he's been doing well there, why change it.

Becuase he is arguably the best hitter on the team and would be even better if batting either 3rd or 4th. And becauase he is miles better than those whom I have named. Probably, at this stage, better than either I-Rod or Ordonez.
I do not just say this as a Shelton owner, I say this as a baseball fan. The best hitter on your team should not be batting 6th.

Shelton has definitely been hot lately but Maggs is still the best hitter on that team. I could see moving him up to 5th in that lineup though. Leyland might be keeping him there because he doesn't want to inflict pressure on the guy when he's been doing so well.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby patty cheeks » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:44 pm

I really dunno.. he's been hot at the 6th spot so..
patty cheeks
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thatohiosportsfan » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:57 pm

can someone tell me why shelton is doing good? hes not that good in the first, and he certainly shouldn't be having the hottest start in the majors...its kinda gross...

For those of you who picked the Reds to be last in the central (including espn and si)...i hate all of you, and you are wrong...
thatohiosportsfan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby RynMan » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:35 pm

thatohiosportsfan wrote:can someone tell me why shelton is doing good? hes not that good in the first, and he certainly shouldn't be having the hottest start in the majors...its kinda gross...

He is the best hitter on that team. He was prior to the season starting - it shouldn't have taken a hot start for people to realize that.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Los_Dodgers » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:50 pm

i dont really know about that...and the way that lineup is producing sans today, i wouldnt be so quick to shift it around anyway. that team lacks pure power, so many guys get hits and leave shelton to drive them home. he is tied for the league lead in rbi's.
Los_Dodgers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thehat » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:44 pm

thatohiosportsfan wrote:can someone tell me why shelton is doing good? hes not that good in the first, and he certainly shouldn't be having the hottest start in the majors...its kinda gross...

Suggestion...before offering an uninformed opinion on a player, get informed by checking out some numbers. Two things will immediately be accomplished. First, you'll get razzed by guys like me a whole lot less. Second, you'll become a far more proficient fantasy owner, guaranteed.

There's never been much question about Shelton's bat. Check his numbers as a pro. There was doubt about whether he could ever do much more than DH, as his defense was pretty shoddy, but he's improved in that area.

Agree with Ryn that he ought to be hitting cleanup, by the way. Leyland is apparently going with the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" theory, one to which I've never subscribed. Guess it's a good thing Shelton didn't get rolling while hitting in the #8 hole, where Leyland actually toyed with placing him during ST.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Laean » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:25 am

because one hot streak doesn't make him the best hitter on the team. he won't hit .467 (as of 4/16) all season. i mean, it's so blatant that he's producing above his head right now that there might as well be a neon sign hovering over him.

not that i'm saying he's for certain not the best hitter on the team, but as of now it's still too early to give him that credit. if after 2 months or so and he's hitting around .300 with 35 homer pace, then i'd think him being promoted to the clean up spot (and demoting the others below him) justified.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers