Brandon Wood - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Brandon Wood

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brandon Wood

Postby nathan050904 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:19 am

Wood's only hitting about .260 right now he was batting alot higher is there any need for concern? Do you still see him as being a All-Star calibre player?
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mustangs989 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:42 am

Just like some of the top players in major leagues, minor leguers have slow starts. I wouldn't worry about what he's doing after 30 AB. With that said I think he might have been a little overrated at the beginning of the year but I'd still have him as a top 5 prospect.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Philliebuster » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:11 pm

Now .321 with 5 homers in 78 AB's, he does have 29 whiffs already, but who cares.

Realistically, what are the chances that he gets called up at some point this season being that Orlando is playing so well....probably not good.

Brandon is actually on the WW in my keeper cbs.sportsline league, problem is that we only keep 6 players each season, and i'm trying to think of a good time to grab him off the WW, what would you do in my scenario?
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Armadillo Fury » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:42 pm

31 K's in 20 games. That's a little alarming actually, even when you take into account the small sample size. Hopefully, he'll be able to significantly cut down on the whiffs.
Armadillo Fury
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby FantasyGURU802 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:40 pm

He'll be fine, he has outstanding power for a Short Stop.
[b]Member of the SGMKL[/b]
[b]THE FANTASY GURU[/b]
FantasyGURU802
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Galt » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:53 pm

As swell as his power is, if he's striking out 1.5 times a game in the minors, I can't see him being very useful in the majors any time soon.

Hell, even Adam Dunn's k rate was lower, and he was at least walking a lot.

Plus, by the time Wood makes it to the majors, he's not going to be a SS. Aybar will be SS already. Wood may get moved to 3B, but OF is more likely.

And as a massively strikeout prone .260-.280 hitter, I don't see him being incredibly valuable in fantasy leagues, even if he does hit 30-40 homers.
Galt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:13 am

[quote="Galt"]As swell as his power is, if he's striking out 1.5 times a game in the minors, I can't see him being very useful in the majors any time soon.

Hell, even Adam Dunn's k rate was lower, and he was at least walking a lot.

Plus, by the time Wood makes it to the majors, he's not going to be a SS. Aybar will be SS already. Wood may get moved to 3B, but OF is more likely.

And as a massively strikeout prone .260-.280 hitter, I don't see him being incredibly valuable in fantasy leagues, even if he does hit 30-40 homers.[/quote]

I think Aybar gets dealt. I think Wood plays SS. The Angels already have a ton of 3B guys Figgins (though he;s destined for the CF), Quinlin, McPherson (they haven't given up on him yet), & Alfonzo (he should be gone after this yr though).
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby nathan050904 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:15 am

"I think Aybar gets dealt. I think Wood plays SS. The Angels already have a ton of 3B guys Figgins (though he;s destined for the CF), Quinlin, McPherson (they haven't given up on him yet), & Alfonzo (he should be gone after this yr though)."

Completely agree with you. I think Aybar will be traded although, I've heard he may play OF. However, I think Wood sticks at SS and Im not overly concerned with his k rate. I am sure he'll work on that and with his talent he'll learn plate discipline he just turned 21. He has almost a OBP of .400 so I am not terribly concerned.
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Galt » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:40 pm

Wood cannot play major league SS. he's awful.

Aybar is a great fielding SS. Unless Aybar gets traded, there's no way Wood plays SS for the Angels.

The angels don't have too many 3B candidates. None of them are that good. mcPherson maybe but he's been struggling mightiliy the last two years, and Figgins also isn't a 3B. He's only playing 3B because the Angels have no one else to play the position, and he's a super-utility guy. He'll play whereever there's a need.
Galt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nathan050904 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:42 pm

He's not aweful he's pretty good actually. Aybar aint all that and I bet he is traded!
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball