Come see David Weathers and Rock Solid in the same sentence. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Come see David Weathers and Rock Solid in the same sentence.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ravenmad22 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:35 pm

Too bad they're dicking around with Ryan Wagner because he's definetly the best reliever in the organization.

Coffey doesn't K enough to be a closer. Weathers is like Jose Mesa. Barf.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thatohiosportsfan » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:07 pm

ravenmad22 wrote:Too bad they're dicking around with Ryan Wagner because he's definetly the best reliever in the organization.

Coffey doesn't K enough to be a closer. Weathers is like Jose Mesa. Barf.

Completely agree...and B, I got something for you....remember a guy named scott williamson? I know i do...he was a good closer for a year...flamethrower (95+)...and look at where his career has gone, to do the and the cubs pen...two places you don't want to end up in your career...

For those of you who picked the Reds to be last in the central (including espn and si)...i hate all of you, and you are wrong...
thatohiosportsfan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby PBRmeASAP » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:12 pm

Weathers had two great seasons with the Brewers a couple of years back. When he's on, he's very effective. Since he has little competition in Cincy I'd say he's in a much better situation than some of the other "lesser" closers out there.
PBRmeASAP
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 9)

Postby benjapage » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:59 pm

i agree that r.wagner needs to be in the bigs.

ohiosportsfan, are you equating throwing hard with ending up in the poop chute? you said coffey lacked "stuff." i elucidated the opposite.

coffey's not king K, but from what i've seen, i like him better in the closer role.

another important thing to consider, strictly from a reds' standpoint, is that all these young guys need to hit the fire sooner than later. these acquisitions of veterans en masse is overkill. a couple leaders would suffice...

it would be nice to have coffey or wagner closing while we actually have all these vets on the squad to counsel them.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby thatohiosportsfan » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:52 pm

benjapage wrote:i agree that r.wagner needs to be in the bigs.

ohiosportsfan, are you equating throwing hard with ending up in the poop chute? you said coffey lacked "stuff." i elucidated the opposite.

coffey's not king K, but from what i've seen, i like him better in the closer role.

another important thing to consider, strictly from a reds' standpoint, is that all these young guys need to hit the fire sooner than later. these acquisitions of veterans en masse is overkill. a couple leaders would suffice...

it would be nice to have coffey or wagner closing while we actually have all these vets on the squad to counsel them.

b

I agree, but trial by fire isn't working...look at how badly wagner failed last year...i personally want to see wagner in the closer role over coffey, but consistency is a problem...I personally just don't like what I see much from coffey (im not saying weathers is much better) just that while the reds are winning (while it lasts)...we go with who works best, and right now I think its weathers...
You can argue that we should put in coffey or wagner to build them into the closers role, but that would literally be forfeiting this season (but apparently, im the only one who thinks the season isn't forfeited off top anyway)

For those of you who picked the Reds to be last in the central (including espn and si)...i hate all of you, and you are wrong...
thatohiosportsfan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby benjapage » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:31 pm

you know i agree with you on the pre-forfeiture of the season...we needn't get into that. in fact, you're probably sniffing another of my agenda: scrap this season and get busy building.

every time i read a reds' bigwig say, "win now," i throw up in my mouth.

but i still think coffey's the man for the job. because of heat, and because of his bold approach and composure.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers