Come see David Weathers and Rock Solid in the same sentence. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Come see David Weathers and Rock Solid in the same sentence.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Come see David Weathers and Rock Solid in the same sentence.

Postby CeeLoGreen » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:26 am

He locked down another save tonight.

5 Ks in 4.1 IP with and ERA under 2.5 and a WHIP under 0.75.

I am not saying he is gonna saves 25 or 30 games, but there is an outside chance. There is no one to challenge him for the job with Cincy jerking around with Wagner's status.

I had the choice of Weathers, Rodney, Worrell and Miceli in my ultra-competitive, big money league and I went with Weathers.

T. Hoffman and D. Weathers stats from last year:

Hoffman: 57.2 IP, 1 Win, 43 Saves, 54 Ks, 2.97 ERA, 1.11 WHIP
Weathers: 77.2 IP, 7 Wins, 15 Saves, 61 Ks, 3.94 ERA, 1.29 WHIP

Again, I am not saying these two are even in the same ballpark, even when their respective teams are playing each other, but considering Weathers was used as a middle relief guy for some of the year, he put up decent numbers.

Seems like people are quick to disregard him perhaps more than any other player.

Any other thoughts out there???
CeeLoGreen
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:57 am

Weathers is awful but stranger things have happened. I don't think he'll keep the job but you just never know.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Ender » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:06 am

Weathers is fine, he was fine last year too. He's not going to be an amazing closer or anything but I think he'll keep the job all year.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby benjapage » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:45 am

this might be wishful thinking, but if coffey can keep up his pace, i think the club might insert him by the break. i'm seeing references all the time that reinforce the reds' desire to see the young guy step up to the role. he has the gas and the mentality--he just needs to prove consistency.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby willy-t » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:34 am

Everybody always says what garbage he is, but he's just like eddie guardado for me, experienced competitor, so-so stuff. I think he will probably save about 25 maybe in more than 1 stint (they may give it to somebody else who fails half way through season, or maybe injury) with ERA hovering around about 4. Well worth putting in a P slot.

Note, im not saying he's as valuable as EG, worse ballpark, probably lesser stuff and overall effectiveness, but it's a decent comparison I feel.
willy-t
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CeeLoGreen » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:40 pm

I stand corrected....

At least it was Pujols...coulda happened to anyone...

This could be the beginning of the end...
CeeLoGreen
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Come see David Weathers and Rock Solid in the same sentence.

Postby Matthias » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:50 pm

CeeLoGreen wrote:He locked down another save tonight.

5 Ks in 4.1 IP with and ERA under 2.5 and a WHIP under 0.75.

I am not saying he is gonna saves 25 or 30 games, but there is an outside chance. There is no one to challenge him for the job with Cincy jerking around with Wagner's status.

I had the choice of Weathers, Rodney, Worrell and Miceli in my ultra-competitive, big money league and I went with Weathers.

T. Hoffman and D. Weathers stats from last year:

Hoffman: 57.2 IP, 1 Win, 43 Saves, 54 Ks, 2.97 ERA, 1.11 WHIP
Weathers: 77.2 IP, 7 Wins, 15 Saves, 61 Ks, 3.94 ERA, 1.29 WHIP

Again, I am not saying these two are even in the same ballpark, even when their respective teams are playing each other, but considering Weathers was used as a middle relief guy for some of the year, he put up decent numbers.

Seems like people are quick to disregard him perhaps more than any other player.

Any other thoughts out there???

I came to see David Weathers and Rock Solid in the same sentence (and not my own). I want my $3 admission fee back.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thatohiosportsfan » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:56 pm

benjapage wrote:this might be wishful thinking, but if coffey can keep up his pace, i think the club might insert him by the break. i'm seeing references all the time that reinforce the reds' desire to see the young guy step up to the role. he has the gas and the mentality--he just needs to prove consistency.

b

....no...weathers will keep the job over coffey, if you've watched, or heard coffey pitch, you'd know he's a little too overhyped to be our closer (everyone picked him to be our closer, or closer to be)...he doesn't have great stuff, and is inconsisent (reminiscent of reds bullpen)...but weathers can get it done once in a while, I trust weathers much more than coffey, and unless weathers completely explodes, he'll keep the job...
Oh and for those of you who came to see it...DAVID WEATHERS IS A ROCK SOLID CINCINNATI CLOSER WHO IS THE BEST EVER...

For those of you who picked the Reds to be last in the central (including espn and si)...i hate all of you, and you are wrong...
thatohiosportsfan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Matthias » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:33 pm

thatohiosportsfan wrote:Oh and for those of you who came to see it...DAVID WEATHERS IS A ROCK SOLID CINCINNATI CLOSER WHO IS THE BEST EVER...

thanks, man. ;-D

here's my $3 back.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby benjapage » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:12 pm

thatohiosportsfan wrote:....no...weathers will keep the job over coffey, if you've watched, or heard coffey pitch, you'd know he's a little too overhyped to be our closer (everyone picked him to be our closer, or closer to be)...he doesn't have great stuff, and is inconsisent (reminiscent of reds bullpen)...but weathers can get it done once in a while, I trust weathers much more than coffey, and unless weathers completely explodes, he'll keep the job...
Oh and for those of you who came to see it...DAVID WEATHERS IS A ROCK SOLID CINCINNATI CLOSER WHO IS THE BEST EVER...

the man can throw 96 mph. weathers tops out at 89. that's enough of the "stuff" discussion, because it's only a fraction of the picture.

i've watched him pitch. i've not heard "overhype," but i think he's a promising young pitcher who doesn't lose his composure when things (cincinnati's defense, more specifically) go wrong. he's not as crafty as weathers, but he'll get there.

weathers will keep the job until forrest gum--er, jerry narron is told to pull the plug on him. based on what i've seen, however, i think coffey is the most natural fit. i think krivsky will see this, too.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers