Chad Cordero ... should owners be worried? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chad Cordero ... should owners be worried?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:34 pm

Team performance has very little relationship to closer value. Even lousy teams win 60-70 games, and that's plenty of opportunities for a good closer to get 35-40 save opportunities.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5516
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Postby Music2004Man » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:32 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:Team performance has very little relationship to closer value. Even lousy teams win 60-70 games, and that's plenty of opportunities for a good closer to get 35-40 save opportunities.


I completely agree with Agnes here. The thing is that when they win they probably aren't going to score a ton of runs which means the score will be close and Cordero will get a lot of save opps. I still say he's good for atleast 35- 40 saves this year.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1092
Joined: 22 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby patty cheeks » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:08 pm

im not worried about Cordero at all..
patty cheeks
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 326
Joined: 4 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:30 pm

BritSox wrote:There might have been the slighest worry if Ayala was healthy, but Cordero is really far and away the best RP in that pen.


I wouldn't be worried about him losing his job... I'd just be worried about having a giant ERA and lots of blown saves clogging up your RP spot.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1057
Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:42 pm

tinfoilxtouch wrote:
BritSox wrote:There might have been the slighest worry if Ayala was healthy, but Cordero is really far and away the best RP in that pen.


I wouldn't be worried about him losing his job... I'd just be worried about having a giant ERA and lots of blown saves clogging up your RP spot.


He's been getting sporadic work and has yet to pitch at home (in an extreme pitchers park).

There's nothing to worry about.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 5058
(Past Year: 16)
Joined: 22 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tukka » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:08 pm

One of the players in my league dropped Cordero to pick up Liriano.

Hopefully, his loss is my gain. :)

Did Liriano's stock move up while I wasn't looking, or is more likely that the other manager just lost faith in Cordero? His team is pretty heavy on relief already.
Tukka Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 174
Joined: 11 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Music2004Man » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:18 pm

Tukka wrote:One of the players in my league dropped Cordero to pick up Liriano.

Hopefully, his loss is my gain. :)

Did Liriano's stock move up while I wasn't looking, or is more likely that the other manager just lost faith in Cordero? His team is pretty heavy on relief already.


I would say Liriano's stock has moved up slightly because he's been lights out for the Twins bullpen. The problem is that he's the only lefty in the pen. The other guy in your league is hoping that liriano gets a starting job soon. I say nice pick up on your part because Cordero should be solid for you.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1092
Joined: 22 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:51 am

Struggled once again last night, but got the save (two walks and it took a nice play by the WASH 2B to end the game).

By all metrics, he had better peripherals than he should have last year, meaning he likely won't repeat the ERA/WHIP from last year. And WASH will not win 80 games, meaning 47 saves won't happen either.

Now, as WASH has no one else who looks closer-worthy, he does have the job, and he will get 30-35 opportunities. But I don't think a repeat of last year is likely and he falls into the midle tier of closers IMO.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2095
Joined: 7 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Oct. 24
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact