What's your story? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's your story?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby warrick95 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:16 am

Batting-
Power numbers (HR, RBI) are usually at the top of the league. R are usually there, too, but I've started slow this year there. AVG usually starts off slow over the season till around the All-Star break, when it begins to rise into the upper third or so. I usually do fairly well in SB.

Pitching-
Ratios are usually the best in the league. Ks are decent, but not over the top. Always lead saves. Seem to be horrible at wins each year, but I'm surprisingly winning wins handily this year so far in my main league. I have 12. Next best has 7. I am right around the innings limit, may even be a little under.

-I do not carry a large hitting bench at all. The most I would ever carry are two and it's usually one at the most.
-I am very aggressive on the waiver wire with closers. I pick up closers that pop up very often. I also pick up many relievers in anticipation of them becoming closers. I did that with Papelbon so far this year. It looks like my one big "hold" this year is Orvella. Last year, it didn't pay off until the end of the year with Mike Gonzalez, so perhaps I'll have bad luck again.
-Since I get many closers, I end up packaging them to get upgrades very often. The 2 for 1 or 3 for 2 trades are ones I use most often.
-I always have Dodger pitchers. Always. I usually have Odalis (didn't after his huge 3.00/0.99 year). I have Odalis and Penny this year as my big targets.
-My drafts seem to be average or below average. I capitalize mainly with closers off the waiver wire and pitching. The OFs I choose never seem to work out that well. Vernon Wells last year. So I guess Berkman and Lee will begin sucking soon.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaQ » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:16 am

warrick95 wrote:Batting-
Power numbers (HR, RBI) are usually at the top of the league. R are usually there, too, but I've started slow this year there. AVG usually starts off slow over the season till around the All-Star break, when it begins to rise into the upper third or so. I usually do fairly well in SB.

Pitching-
Ratios are usually the best in the league. Ks are decent, but not over the top. Always lead saves. Seem to be horrible at wins each year, but I'm surprisingly winning wins handily this year so far in my main league. I have 12. Next best has 7. I am right around the innings limit, may even be a little under.

-I do not carry a large hitting bench at all. The most I would ever carry are two and it's usually one at the most.
-I am very aggressive on the waiver wire with closers. I pick up closers that pop up very often. I also pick up many relievers in anticipation of them becoming closers. I did that with Papelbon so far this year. It looks like my one big "hold" this year is Orvella. Last year, it didn't pay off until the end of the year with Mike Gonzalez, so perhaps I'll have bad luck again.
-Since I get many closers, I end up packaging them to get upgrades very often. The 2 for 1 or 3 for 2 trades are ones I use most often.
-I always have Dodger pitchers. Always. I usually have Odalis (didn't after his huge 3.00/0.99 year). I have Odalis and Penny this year as my big targets.
-My drafts seem to be average or below average. I capitalize mainly with closers off the waiver wire and pitching. The OFs I choose never seem to work out that well. Vernon Wells last year. So I guess Berkman and Lee will begin sucking soon.

Hmm.... in one of Warrick's leaguess, it may look more like this:
-Stock up on young talent and potential for the near future
-Collect many, many FF's, in as many ways as possible
- Rickie Weeks, Felix Hernandez, Delmon Young and Joe Mauer are among the players on the team that are not moving
-Count down the days till Free Agent bidding begins
:-b (just playin')

I'd give away my strategies too, but I need to keep my strategies of crushing teams like Warrick's, JT's, RyanK's and Daullaz's a secret. ;-D
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Re: What's your story?

Postby rainman23 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:24 am

cordscords wrote:I was thinking about what my teams statistics look like after the season, and what I do as a manager throughout the season.

Statistically:

Batting- I always have a good BA, picking up a good amount of steals, but find myself on the lower half of HR, RBI, and R

----

- I always wind up with a below average SS.

How do things seem to pan out for the rest of you?

Not sure if this was the point of this thread, but thought I'd make a couple comments here...

First, what you're doing here is the first step in getting a lot better. A fantasy baseball life unexamined is one that is doomed to mediocrity. I see guys in my league make the same mistakes year after year, and then they wonder why they can't get out of the second division.
    Second -- you probably know this, but your hitting priorities are a little out of whack. Unless your categories are really bizarre, you gotta start valuing the Konerkos of the world a little more.
    Third -- you can place too much importance on position scarcity. But it looks like you're going the other way. I think it's really important in planning your draft to know what the shallow positions are -- and then whether it matters or not. I decided the last couple years that, like it or not, shortstop was a place where you had to draft a good one early. There were about 5 good guys, and you wanted one of them. Catcher, on the other hand -- much weaker, but I didn't worry about it, because you were only playing at a disadvantage to maybe one team if you found one late.

My patterns -- I tend to get a lot of pitchers with great ratios on crappy teams. So I do ok in everything but Wins. I'm typically mediocre, at best, in Steals. I have zero luck at making trades, probably because I keep winning our league -- nobody ever wants to help me. And the reason I win is because of what you're doing -- thinking about what I did right, and what I did wrong. Good luck.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby roninmedia » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:38 am

This is my first year over from fantasy football, so I bring that mentality b/c I play points H2H.

1) Elite pitchers are not required to win as elite receivers are not required to win fantasy football. A platoon of #2 and #3 pitchers can get the job done.

2) Saves are quick for turnover. A save man can emerge throughout the year. As a hot kicker and TE can exist.

3) HRs are touchdowns. Pick players with a strong consideration on power.

Tied for the 2nd in HRs, 2nd in BA, 2nd in RBI, 1st in Runs. Last in Saves, 1st in WHIP, 2nd in Wins, 1st in ERA.
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Re: What's your story?

Postby cordscords » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:16 am

rainman23 wrote:
cordscords wrote:I was thinking about what my teams statistics look like after the season, and what I do as a manager throughout the season.

Statistically:

Batting- I always have a good BA, picking up a good amount of steals, but find myself on the lower half of HR, RBI, and R

----

- I always wind up with a below average SS.

How do things seem to pan out for the rest of you?

Not sure if this was the point of this thread, but thought I'd make a couple comments here...

First, what you're doing here is the first step in getting a lot better. A fantasy baseball life unexamined is one that is doomed to mediocrity. I see guys in my league make the same mistakes year after year, and then they wonder why they can't get out of the second division.
    Second -- you probably know this, but your hitting priorities are a little out of whack. Unless your categories are really bizarre, you gotta start valuing the Konerkos of the world a little more.
    Third -- you can place too much importance on position scarcity. But it looks like you're going the other way. I think it's really important in planning your draft to know what the shallow positions are -- and then whether it matters or not. I decided the last couple years that, like it or not, shortstop was a place where you had to draft a good one early. There were about 5 good guys, and you wanted one of them. Catcher, on the other hand -- much weaker, but I didn't worry about it, because you were only playing at a disadvantage to maybe one team if you found one late.
My patterns -- I tend to get a lot of pitchers with great ratios on crappy teams. So I do ok in everything but Wins. I'm typically mediocre, at best, in Steals. I have zero luck at making trades, probably because I keep winning our league -- nobody ever wants to help me. And the reason I win is because of what you're doing -- thinking about what I did right, and what I did wrong. Good luck.

And I definitley made some adjustments this year, and early on I'm leading the way in almost all the battings categories and I'm right in the middle of the pack in pitching. I'm winning a few of my leagues, and I'm not too far back in the others.

And my hitting priorities arent really out of whack, but I went about my strategy the wrong way. I had this weird starting pitchers rule, which I have modified this year. This allowed me to pick up an extra big stick or 2 giving me even more leverage on how I want to approach my offense.

And I don't put too much into position scarcity. I've got a good amount of leagues this year, and I'm trying something different out in each one. I've got Utley and Reyes in I think 2 leagues, premier players at thin positions. They are awesome to have, but at the end of the season it will be interesting looking at the results.

And this thread was just to kind of shed some light on yourself and learn more about others here at the Cafe.

And I really love the word "and".
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby mak1277 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:25 am

This is a great thread. I play NL-only, so my results may be slightly different from those in mixed leagues and shallower leagues.

- I do a good job of sticking to my draft plans. This involves loading up on hitting.

- I value position scarcity much more than the rest of my league (except for catcher). This could be a slight negative, and lead me to reach a little bit for certain players, but I think it suits me well. This year, I have Berkman, Kent, Rollins and Wright as my infield in a 9-team NL-only. In my line of thinking, that should not be possible.

- I end up doing well in the middle round picks, focusing on the combo speed/power guys

- Again, another double-edged sword here, but I usually end up with the "sleepers" that I want. Now that either means I'm doing a better job of research than the rest of my league, or I'm reaching. Too early to tell this year.

- I'm annually one of the bottom-feeders in saves, but so far I've never punted. Last year I drafted G. Mota and Looper. This year my only two relievers were M. Gonzo and Linebrink (although I've picked up Worrell). One of these years, this is going to bite me in the ass.

- I annually make the most transactions in my league, but I always end up starting guys that I drafted over 90% of the time. Many times, I pick guys up only as a defensive move to keep them away from other teams.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:14 pm

My main league is a mature (10+ years) AL only keeper league, with varying inflation (25-50%) due to cheap prospects.

As a result, there is no set strategy, though I have noticed trends, not only in my time but with others who have been in the league a long time.

One thing - no team has ever been in the money every year. In a good league with good owners, too much luck involved, so my strategies/trends are those in years where my keeper list going in is competitive.

1) Never punt a category. That said, I don't chase SB and tend to focus on several guys who can get 10-15 such that I tread water until about June when, invariably, a SB threat becomes available from a team who did chase them and is now dumping.

2) Focus on pitching as a whole such that w/o trades I am top 4 in all 5 cats before trades. Usually focus on decent skill (low BB) starters who aren't "names" but generally won't hurt you, with one or two upper tier pitchers, a couple of closers and no MR. I'd rather get the K from starters than a lower ERA and WHIP from MR. Only exceptions are high skill set-up guys if I think the closer for that team is vulnerable. Then, be prepared to trade for a closer/upper tier starter as needed in June/July.

3) Focus on HR and RBI in the draft while not ignoring average. I'd rather have the .260/15 HR guy vs. a .240/25HR guy. I can find the 10 HR later - much harder to get the average since elite hitters are rarely available in trade in our league.

4) Biggest key - in a 12 team AL only league, 23 players, it is almost impossible to get an AL starter at every roster spot (starter or LH version of platoon on offense or 1st-4th SP or closer on pitching), but you can come darn close. In a good year, I'll end up with 12 starting hitters (with 13 being a decent $1 C and 14 being a prospect I can trade later) and 6 -7 SP (usually two #2, two #3 and 2-3 #4) 2 closers, with the 7th SP being an afore-mentioned high skills set-up. By not having dead spots, I end up with few "stars" unless they're a prospect I have, but I get guys who contribute something in the counting stats (be it 10-15 SB, 15+ HR, 60+ R and/or 60+ RBI), which keeps me in the upper third in all the counting categories when the inevitable injuries take down those who have more dead spots and the lack of depth in a deep league prevents them from having decent reserves. And if one of my guys gets hurt, the loss isn't as great. So definitelty a spread-the-risk offensive strategy.

5) Focus on trade assets. In this league, they are top prospects. I find I can get more in trade for a top prospect than some 4th OF will give me if I need to replace someone who gets hurt.

6) While I won't focus on it, positional flexibility is always something I seem to have - again useful for injury situations.

So, I guess, my M.O. is to not ignore a category, avoid SP who will hurt you, ignore MR and draft prospects as trade assets.

While not perfect, I've won my league more times than anyone else and finish in the money a little over half the time.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers