For those thinking of dropping Bonds for next week, read me - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

For those thinking of dropping Bonds for next week, read me

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:56 am

We are in week 2 (yet to finish). There are 24 weeks of baseball left. Bonds will come around. There is no reason to bench him or drop him at this point.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:35 pm

I think it's funny when Bonds starts out hitting .167 with no homers, everyone thinks there is no doubt he'll come around. If we were talking about any other 42-year old on the planet, everyone would be saying he's washed up. Nobody in the sport ever improved after the age of 35 in the way Bonds did. Now maybe it was steroids, or maybe it was a freak thing... but one way or the other, do we expect him to hit .350 and 40HR until he's 75? He's going to come back to earth sometime...
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DGroundhog » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:13 am

He's a great addition for next week.

He might be off to a slow start and have limited playing time, but as long as your league doesn't count perjuring oneself before Congress then I don't know why they would drop him so early.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:04 am

Bonds could end up with numbers similar to Trot Nixon's this year...
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby oukurt » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:32 am

The Human Asterisk MINUS the juice = Warning Track Power

Too bad money can buy your way out of anything. Would be nice to see this cheating and lying SOB spend some time in the pokey.

Please God, do not let this guy ever pass Hank. Some things are sacred.
oukurt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:24 am

tinfoilxtouch wrote:I think it's funny when Bonds starts out hitting .167 with no homers, everyone thinks there is no doubt he'll come around. If we were talking about any other 42-year old on the planet, everyone would be saying he's washed up. Nobody in the sport ever improved after the age of 35 in the way Bonds did. Now maybe it was steroids, or maybe it was a freak thing... but one way or the other, do we expect him to hit .350 and 40HR until he's 75? He's going to come back to earth sometime...

Could not have said it better. No everyday player, NO ONE, has played effectively into their mid-40s, yet most seem to think that a player who missed 148 games with knee injuries, and whose knee is still bothering him, will bounce right back to OPS of 1.200+ three months shy of his 42nd birthday.

Now, I would not advocate dropping him. And unless you have a decent option on your bench, I wouldn't bench him. But he's not, IMHO, the automatic play/no questions asked status he used to be in.

Going into COL and ARI are reasons to keep him active. But if it were SD and LA, I wouldn't be as sure until he's showed he's got his timing and/or leg strength back.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers