The writers of Southpark are my freaking heros! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The writers of Southpark are my freaking heros!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby knapplc » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:36 am

If the writers of South Park had any cajones they would have walked off the job in protest for being censored. Instead they eat the horse hockey placed in front of them but "stick it to the man" by mocking them on their own network.

Great, guys! Way to show how strongly you stick to your principles! Keep that paycheck coming in and don't piss them off TOO much, because despite the tough talk, it's all about the money. Don't worry - the lovers of fine comedy will keep coming back for more, confident that you're "fighting for your freedoms."
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:39 pm

[quote="knapplc"]If the writers of South Park had any cajones they would have walked off the job in protest for being censored.[quote]

what would that have done. "alright well you guys censored us so we quit. we showed you!" makes no sense.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:32 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
knapplc wrote:If the writers of South Park had any cajones they would have walked off the job in protest for being censored.

what would that have done. "alright well you guys censored us so we quit. we showed you!" makes no sense.

That's what a protest is Miner. As much as I hate the show now, it still makes the program money. It's called a strike, which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. That 'cajones'.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

Postby knapplc » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:30 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
knapplc wrote:If the writers of South Park had any cajones they would have walked off the job in protest for being censored.

Exactly. Pack up their show and go elsewhere. If they're making a good product there'll be buyers for it on another network, whether it's South Park or some other creation. Instead they caved and kept getting their paycheck.

Some heroes.

This show is a cancer on our culture. It does nothing constructive. It celebrates offensiveness and prides itself on its shock value; it considers the outrage it evokes a badge of honor. It purports to celebrate First Amendment freedoms by cleverly lampooning common social mores, but what it's really doing is selling vulgarity to an audience too ill-educated and so lacking in discernment that they can't see what it is they're being sold.

South Park is the Dogs Playing Poker of the fine art world which television can be. Unfortunately, those who watch it are convinced they're viewing a Picasso.

I guess you can put enough spices on a bowl of MOD EDIT and someone, somewhere will tell you it tastes good.

I support the right to Free Speech, and I would fight to protect South Park's right to exist. I would at the same time hope that we as a culture would be above such things.

If these are your heroes, you have a lot of learning to do about what a true hero is or the character, quality and comportment a hero should exhibit.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:38 am

knapplc wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:

Exactly. Pack up their show and go elsewhere. If they're making a good product there'll be buyers for it on another network, whether it's South Park or some other creation. Instead they caved and kept getting their paycheck.

Some heroes.

This show is a cancer on our culture. It does nothing constructive. It celebrates offensiveness and prides itself on its shock value; it considers the outrage it evokes a badge of honor. It purports to celebrate First Amendment freedoms by cleverly lampooning common social mores, but what it's really doing is selling vulgarity to an audience too ill-educated and so lacking in discernment that they can't see what it is they're being sold.

South Park is the Dogs Playing Poker of the fine art world which television can be. Unfortunately, those who watch it are convinced they're viewing a Picasso.

I guess you can put enough spices on a bowl of sh!t and someone, somewhere will tell you it tastes good.

I support the right to Free Speech, and I would fight to protect South Park's right to exist. I would at the same time hope that we as a culture would be above such things.

If these are your heroes, you have a lot of learning to do about what a true hero is or the character, quality and comportment a hero should exhibit.

I don't know about you guys, but I just watch it because it's funny. :-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:41 am

knapplc wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:

Some heroes.

I guess you can put enough spices on a bowl of ____ and someone, somewhere will tell you it tastes good.

Are you classifying Americans as a whole with the first bolded part, or just those who watch South Park? I've caught the show a handful of times, and find parts funny, however I don't appreciate being grouped into the "too ill-educated and lacking in discernment..." if you meant the former, as opposed to the latter. Either way, you're coming off as very self-righteous, and in a roundabout way, criticizing the South Park creators for envoking (or exploiting) the 1st Amend. It sounds like you're saying it's good to have, but only where you feel necessary. Maybe I'm mis-reading, or reading too much into it, though.

As for the 2nd bolded sentence, even masking profanity is frowned upon by the mods here, and I believe they issue yellow cards for violating those rules, as cleverly as they're masked. I've ______'d it in my quote, so you can edit it in your post, hopefully without any penalty. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:19 am

KPucks wrote:I thought the parity of Family Guy's writing was pretty funny. I love Family Guy, but the random jokes made by the manatees were actually jokes I could imagine being in Family Guy.

that was awesome

i for one love the show and their humor, although i can see it's not for everyone. sure it's offensive for the sake of being offensive sometimes, but other times they make some really good points

Orgazmo rules too ;-D
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk