Is it time to bench Barry Bonds? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is it time to bench Barry Bonds?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby YardBirds » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:47 am

He insists on playing outfield... one bad step and its all over... he swings the lumber great though. lt just showed me how gimpy he is.

He's not avoiding injury... he is a walking injury.
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1091
Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dooz » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:53 am

nuggets wrote:
dooz wrote:
nuggets wrote:No. I do not think the ongoing saga will effect Bonds anymore than it has until and if substantial evidence proving he knowingly used substances which were illegal at the time of use.


i think this is irrelevant. it doesnt matter if there is proof or substantial evidence, the fact is, he is playing quite poorly. Does this have something to do with him using steriods or not using them now? Possibly but no body can know that. Does it have to do with the media pressure and an aging body and knee? Almost undoubtedly.


I disagree. If something solid comes out against Bonds I believe it will effect his play, whether by suspension, stress , both or something else. Currently I do not believe the media pressure is "almost undoubtedly" causing his current play.

If you bench Bonds you likely will regret it.


I said that a combination of media pressures and his knee are most likely the cause. Do you think he looks healthy out there? Do you think that this is just another season for him?

Also, you just showed me a reason to bench bonds, he doesnt hit well in april. Its not like if he is benched once he can never start again. IF you have somebody who is swinging a hot stick and is at least a decent hitter, you should definitely start him over bonds, i would.
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1522
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 4 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Above the Crowds, Above the Clouds

Postby bdrotoronto » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:55 am

Iconoclastic wrote:He absolutely smashed 3 balls today. Could have easily been 3 homeruns. I wouldn't bench him unless you had Vlad, Sheffield, Abreu, and Carlos Lee or something.

Yeah, when I saw the highlights today I thought all three of those balls were gone, based on the way they looked.

If they haul Bonds away to jail then I think you would be justified in benching him, but until that time Bonds seems pretty oblivous to all the attention around him, and you should keep him in your fantasy lineup.
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1708
Joined: 10 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ramble2 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:28 am

Listening to the game on the radio the other day, the announcers pointed out that in 2001 Bonds started the season hitting 3 for 19. He had a pretty good year that year, when all was said and done.

The worry is if Bonds is swinging at crappy pitches, indicating loss of batting eye or bat speed. Give it until the end of April before you start worrying too much.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 2951
(Past Year: 66)
Joined: 27 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Salt Lake City

Postby nuggets » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:48 am

dooz wrote:I said that a combination of media pressures and his knee are most likely the cause. Do you think he looks healthy out there? Do you think that this is just another season for him?

Also, you just showed me a reason to bench bonds, he doesnt hit well in april. Its not like if he is benched once he can never start again. IF you have somebody who is swinging a hot stick and is at least a decent hitter, you should definitely start him over bonds, i would.


I think he can hit.

There is plenty reason to start Bonds based on spits as well. The point is at time, which is sooner rather than later, Bonds will produce fantasy stats worthy of the pick most took him at or better.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3342
Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:01 am

I think it is a fair question and not so easily answered.

Facts - a 41 y.o. OF (and turns 42 in 3 months) who missed virtually all of the previous season b/c of a knee injury that appears to still be bothering him (which affects the strength of his legs and his hitting base).

"Possible" facts - "looks" heavier (i.e. more weight and therefore more stress on knee), will likely play in only 120 games or so (played in 6 of 8 so far) and I'm not going to even get into debate of whether he was/is/will be using PED.

Based on the first paragraph, people would have written this player off in ST. The only reason people are talking is because it is Barry Bonds. Now people see the 2 long fly balls and the line drive as evidence he's about to break out. I see the two long fly balls as balls that would've been HR two years ago. And the line drive simply shows he is still a major league hitter and hasn't turned into a weak-hitting pitcher.

So, to me, it is a question of expectations. He is not invinvicble. He will succumb to age at some point, be it this year or 5 years from now, and will no longer be a viable fantasy option. And, despite it all, he is still a good (possibly great) player even with a bum knee.

So, if you're expecting the .350/.750 SLG from 2001-2004, I think you're in for a rude awakening. I think .280/.550 is at the top end, which is still very good. But when that is playing 75% of the time, if I had a .270/.500 on the bench playing 95% of the time, then yes I'd consider benching Bonds. Remember, the 7 BB show that teams are still pitching around him such that RBI opportunities will be limited (and his RBI yesterday was his first), making him at best a 2 category player (can't see him with 70+ RBI based on PT and BB).

So, depending on your team, who's on your bench, etc., yes I'd consider benching him. But I'd wait at least two more weeks before doing so. 16 AB screams "small sample size" and if you were optimistic enough to have him on your team 10 days ago, there's no reason to pull the plug now (unless you had a good option on the bench). But I would be ready to pull the plug in the event little changes in the next two weeks as Bonds is not someone I'd give a long leash to this season for all the reasons above.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2095
Joined: 7 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Iconoclastic » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:30 pm

Iconoclastic wrote:He absolutely smashed 3 balls today. Could have easily been 3 homeruns. I wouldn't bench him unless you had Vlad, Sheffield, Abreu, and Carlos Lee or something.


Alright I've changed my mind and am doing a 180. I just benched Bonds for Jay Gibbons. At least Gibbons gets more than 2 ABs a game to do something with and he's producing. Unless you're in a league that counts walks, Bonds shouldn't be starting anymore. No AVG, no runs, no RBIs, no HRs, no SBs. WTF!
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 795
Joined: 5 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LouisC9999 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:40 pm

I benched him for a recently-picked-up Craig Wilson today ;-D ;-D ;-D
LouisC9999
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1410
Joined: 29 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Jury » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:48 pm

LouisC9999 wrote:I benched him for a recently-picked-up Craig Wilson today ;-D ;-D ;-D


I'm benching Bonds for a recently picked up Johnny Gomes ;-D

They're saying Bonds is limping, not brutally but noticeably, and he's having trouble putting weight/torque on his left knee, which is his power knee from the left side. He's getting pitched hard down and away, and hasn't been able to muster enough power to go down and smash the ball over the fence. He did hit a double down the third base line last game, so he may be adjusting.

In the mean time, Jonny Gomes is making he happy :-D
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3328
Joined: 17 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rentz » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:20 pm

ive been benching bonds since the start of the season, only spot starts when one of my main of'rs is off.

bonds just cant get a hit to save his life, and he's obviously not healthy.
im wondering if he will even finsh the season.

cant complain, i got bonds pretty low in the draft compared to where i thought he would go, with the intention of a trade. but im just wondering how long i can keep him in the wings.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4810
Joined: 3 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kaiser, Ray Zorback, Sticky Spice and 12 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Apr. 24
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at Cleveland
(12:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
(12:35 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(1:08 pm)
St. Louis at NY Mets
(1:10 pm)
Minnesota at Tampa Bay
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Arizona at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
San Diego at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Baltimore at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
NY Yankees at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Oakland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Philadelphia at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact