Is it time to bench Barry Bonds? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is it time to bench Barry Bonds?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is it time to bench Barry Bonds?

Postby mikus » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:49 am

Amidst new controversy, is it time to put this guy on our respective benches and "wait-and-see"? For some reason, I have trouble justifying putting Barry on the bench (I feel like as soon as I do, he's going to break out of it). But I have Shannon Stewart wasting away with his nice lines while Barry continues to struggle. So what do we do, fellow Barry owners???
Image
[size=10][b]Thanks to bojanglesmn for the sweet sig!!![/size][/b]
mikus
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 33
Joined: 20 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Baton Rouge

Postby nuggets » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:02 am

No. I do not think the ongoing saga will effect Bonds anymore than it has until and if substantial evidence proving he knowingly used substances which were illegal at the time of use.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3342
Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dooz » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:06 am

nuggets wrote:No. I do not think the ongoing saga will effect Bonds anymore than it has until and if substantial evidence proving he knowingly used substances which were illegal at the time of use.


i think this is irrelevant. it doesnt matter if there is proof or substantial evidence, the fact is, he is playing quite poorly. Does this have something to do with him using steriods or not using them now? Possibly but no body can know that. Does it have to do with the media pressure and an aging body and knee? Almost undoubtedly.

I might bench bonds til he does hit that first dinger but he has been hitting long fly balls so who knows, he might hit one tomorrow.
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1529
(Past Year: 9)
Joined: 4 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Above the Crowds, Above the Clouds

Postby mweir145 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:13 am

No, we're only a little bit more than a week into the season. If he doesn't get back to being himself by the end of April, that's when I'd probably send him to the bench. The fact is, Barry is a huge HR threat whenever he steps up to the plate, it's tough to replace that on a fantasy team. As for his recent struggles, he seemed to be hitting much better today with a couple of deep fly balls, and an RBI single. I think he'll be fine.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Postby YardBirds » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:15 am

He just doesn't look healthy... did anyone see him play today?

His first fly out he hit, and just stood there, when it was caught he just walked off, didn't even hesitate or trot it out.

His second fly out, he did the same thing, just hit, acted as if to start running, stopped, walked off.

His third was the same... he looks so uncomfortable running out of the batters box, he should have probably taken this season off to rest up and then have one last balls to the wall season.
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1091
Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Iconoclastic » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:15 am

He absolutely smashed 3 balls today. Could have easily been 3 homeruns. I wouldn't bench him unless you had Vlad, Sheffield, Abreu, and Carlos Lee or something.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 795
Joined: 5 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:20 am

Iconoclastic wrote:He absolutely smashed 3 balls today. Could have easily been 3 homeruns. I wouldn't bench him unless you had Vlad, Sheffield, Abreu, and Carlos Lee or something.


Exactly what I was thinking. Based on today, he's close. Real close. I wouldn't bench him now.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13710
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Building a metric. And being ignorable and stupid.

Postby nuggets » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:35 am

dooz wrote:
nuggets wrote:No. I do not think the ongoing saga will effect Bonds anymore than it has until and if substantial evidence proving he knowingly used substances which were illegal at the time of use.


i think this is irrelevant. it doesnt matter if there is proof or substantial evidence, the fact is, he is playing quite poorly. Does this have something to do with him using steriods or not using them now? Possibly but no body can know that. Does it have to do with the media pressure and an aging body and knee? Almost undoubtedly.


I disagree. If something solid comes out against Bonds I believe it will effect his play, whether by suspension, stress , both or something else. Currently I do not believe the media pressure is "almost undoubtedly" causing his current play.

It hasn't been long enough to say if Bonds is playing poorly or not. Remember 2004 when Bonds hit .362 with 45 HR? He hit .250 May in 48 AB, 29 BB. Bonds has only 16 AB, 3 hits, 7 BB, 1 HBP. That is an OBP of .458. Remember when Bonds hit .328 with 73 HR? He hit .240 in April of that season. If you bench Bonds you likely will regret it.
Last edited by nuggets on Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3342
Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:35 am

If I owned him, it would only be in a daily transactions league, and at that point, if he's in the starting lineup for the day, he would be active on my team. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby nuggets » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:38 am

YardBirds wrote:He just doesn't look healthy... did anyone see him play today?

His first fly out he hit, and just stood there, when it was caught he just walked off, didn't even hesitate or trot it out.

His second fly out, he did the same thing, just hit, acted as if to start running, stopped, walked off.

His third was the same... he looks so uncomfortable running out of the batters box, he should have probably taken this season off to rest up and then have one last balls to the wall season.

+
Iconoclastic wrote:He absolutely smashed 3 balls today. Could have easily been 3 homeruns. I wouldn't bench him unless you had Vlad, Sheffield, Abreu, and Carlos Lee or something.

=

Bonds thought he had potential HR shots.

Why would you want such a great hitter to risk running anywhere if he knows it's a HR or an out...or an error so he gets to first?
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3342
Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JCD, scarnicease and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cincinnati at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Boston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact