Bonds talking about Babe - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bonds talking about Babe

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:03 pm

Anonymous wrote:lets see bonds pitch

That would be highly amusing.

Kinda like that one game where Lou pulled Mesa (Back when both were M's) and had David Bell (? was it him ?) finish the game to spite him.
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:17 pm

Pokeyouindaeye wrote:

Kinda like that one game where Lou pulled Mesa (Back when both were M's) and had David Bell (? was it him ?) finish the game to spite him.

Bonds wouldn't pitch without his armor. :-D It would be quite amusing to see it though. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby tal1286 » Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:36 pm

i just want to say something about the steroids factor and health and everything. you talk about Bonds is better because he works hard and had babe worked hard he would have played better and that is the reason why bonds has better numbers in many categories and will have them in many more (HR for example).
HELLO!!! why is lance armstrong better? why are kobe MJ t-mac better? hell why is manny such a great hitter? Because THEY WORK!!!!!! I cannot describe how totally annoying and frustrating it is when people say "aww if i tried i'd be good" the fact is you aren't good because you aren't a fit for the game and aren't dedicated. this is gonna piss some people off but maybe Bonds is better because he WORKS and tries and puts himself in position to succeed which is the exact opposite of what the babe did. stop making excuses for him for why he didn't put up better numbers. he wasn't as mentally into the game!!! Its not like all the players were extraordinarily fat at that point in the game. if he had been better he would have been more dedicated and would have gotten in shape.

Disclaimer: I am not trying to rip Babe Ruth. I believe he was one of the best if not the best ever. I am just sick and tired of you people who hate bonds trying to find every single little way to discredit him for those who think he might be better than Ruth.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby blankman » Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:13 am

Pokeyouindaeye wrote:

Remember when Wade Boggs pitched for the Yankees in '97? I think he threw nothing but knucklers. It was pretty funny, when he made it through the inning. Here was his line: 1 ip 0 hits 1 bb 1 k
pretty funny that he actually struck someone out :-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby red » Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:43 am

Let me just throw this out there--
In the same interview Bonds said "you (white people, I assume), don't know our heroes. I didn't know this guy and that guy and everybody got mad at me-- but you don' t know my heroes--" and then he went on to explain some, and, I admit, I didn't know them (I'm white). So, when he said "I'm after Ruth's record", not Aaron's, and then went on to say everything that followed-- could it be that:
a) he was simply sticking up for what he felt was a largely overlooked part of baseball-- the negro leagues, black players in general, or
b) by reacting the way the people on this board have reacted "once he's gone after the Babe, I hate Bonds-- blah blah", that we are reacting to him bruising "our" (I hate that word, but fine, you know what I mean) hero; the way he feels "his" (again, hate, I digress) heros have been bruised by being neglected all these years.

The point is, I don't think this was something Barry did to "take on the Babe". I think he was trying to make a statement about prejudice in baseball, the negro leagues, and used the Babe as a referece. He has the right to do that. We can agree or disagree, but we should understand the original reference. It doesn't matter that he used Babe Ruth-- it matters that he's saying, I'm going to be better than the best white baseball player-- and then you're going to have to notice me, as a black man. The way you didn't notice all the other black men who proceeded me.

I really don't think this is about bruising the babe. If we're going to yak about it, we should yak about it in the tone it was presented.
Just my opinion on the thing-- I"m probably wrong-- but I read the whole intereview a few times and that's what I honestly thought was going on.
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:56 am

Hey Red .... Please post the whole interview here ... Thanks.. :-)
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby Arlo » Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:00 am

Lots of interesting points here. :-)

I definitely agree with timkell about spitballers or players who modified their bats in bygone days not being cheaters. Not only were the rules different in those days, but so was the perception of what was right and wrong. One additional point to keep in mind is that no matter whether Ruth modified his bat or not (and I'm still looking into that one), his bats were still far less effective than those used today. Bats may not have evolved quite as much as gloves, but the difference is still pretty significant.

eftda's also right about bounce home runs prior to 1931, but these weren't all that common. I don't know how many Ruth may have hit, but in his 60 hr season, all 60 went over the fence without bouncing. I also agree about being able to compare players from different eras (hey, we wouldn't be baseball fans if we didn't do that :-D ). We might not be able to find any etched-in-stone answers, but that doesn't mean we can't ask the question.

And as for Bonds' interview: Yes, it's good to see one of today's stars sticking up for the Negro Leagues and its players, who indeed don't receive the attention and the respect they deserve. But I do think it's strange, and a bit unfortunate, to use Ruth as a reference when the Babe himself was often the target of racist slurs...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby blankman » Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:14 am

Arlo wrote:And as for Bonds' interview: Yes, it's good to see one of today's stars sticking up for the Negro Leagues and its players, who indeed don't receive the attention and the respect they deserve. But I do think it's strange, and a bit unfortunate, to use Ruth as a reference when the Babe himself was often the target of racist slurs...

I'd have to agree. I think its nice for him to do things for the Negro Leagues, but I think he stepped too far with his comments.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Super GM » Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:14 am

wrveres wrote:Not entirely off subject but I found some fun at the Hall of Fame.
500 HR trivia
I got a 4 (ouch)

And how come there is no Rbi's for Ruth's first six years? Did they not keep Rbi stats then? anybody?

I got a 5 on that 500HR trivia! Not too good either....
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:39 am

Super GM wrote:I got a 5 on that 500HR trivia! Not too good either....

I got a 4 :-t
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers