Bonds talking about Babe - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bonds talking about Babe

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bonds talking about Babe

Postby Quaker » Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:03 pm

This quote was reported in ESPN today by Bonds when talking about home run milestones:

"And if it does happen, the only number I care about is Babe Ruth's. Because as a left-handed hitter, I wiped him out. That's it. And in the baseball world, Babe Ruth's everything, right? I got his slugging percentage and I'll take his home runs and that's it. Don't talk about him no more."

A lot of people don't like Bonds, but I've never had a problem with him until this quote. I hope it's taken out of context, because if it's not, Bonds seems to be showing disrespect for the history of the game.

Is anyone else a little peeved by his comment?
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BillyMafia » Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:11 pm

A little before that he talks about how he does not want to pass Willie Mays and Hank Aaron.
BillyMafia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LCBOY » Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:36 pm

Another Barry Bonds thread? I guess we can never have too many Barry Bonds threads...
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby timkell » Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:26 pm

Yeah, this is already being mis-interpreted.

I don't think he said it too clearly, but I read it that he's saying, as a left handed hitter, the only number he cares about is Ruth's. He's not gunning for Aaron's.

And when he says, "I wiped him out." I take that as him saying he'll be able to say that once he passes Ruth. I don't think he's saying he's done it already, but that will be his motivation once he passes Mays.

Here's the whole quote:
"Willie's number is always the one that I've strived for," Bonds said before Tuesday's All-Star Game.

"And if it does happen, the only number I care about is Babe Ruth's. Because as a left-handed hitter, I wiped him out. That's it. And in the baseball world, Babe Ruth's everything, right? I got his slugging percentage and I'll take his home runs and that's it. Don't talk about him no more."

So in my view, he's saying, for a long time, the only number he's cared about was Willie's. Once he beats Willie, he's got to shoot for something, and it's gonna be the Babe. And then he'll be able to say "I beat the Babe." He's basically saying, "That will be my next goal, and I'll be damn proud if I do it."

He could have been a little more modest about it, but then, he wouldn't be Bonds, would he? He did say "...Babe Ruth's everything, right?"
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Jivedude » Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:04 pm

Babe Ruth hit 714 HRs and 2213 RBIs in only 8399 at bats. Bonds has 643 HRs and 1715 RBIs in 8591 at bats so far. It looks to me like The Babe wipes the floor with Bonds.
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Brokentusks9 » Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:22 pm

^^^^ The stats say it all.

Hey Barry -- How many games did YOU win as a pitcher?

Wiped smiped, Bond's couldn't even be half the player Ruth was in his wildest fantasties.
Brokentusks9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby guest » Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:37 pm

timkell wrote:<snip>

I agree with that interpretation for the most part, but the only problem I have is that he said "I got his slugging percentage". The problem is that he doesn't -- Babe Ruth is still the career slugging percentage leader, and guys like Todd Helton and Manny Ramirez are still ahead of Bonds.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby guest » Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:39 pm

guest wrote:

I agree with that interpretation for the most part, but the only problem I have is that he said "I got his slugging percentage". The problem is that he doesn't -- Babe Ruth is still the career slugging percentage leader, and guys like Todd Helton and Manny Ramirez are still ahead of Bonds.

In case that wasn't clear, I know he has the single-season slugging percentage record, but Ruth's fame is a result of a long and distinguished career of brilliance, while Bonds has only been really great for three or four years.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Jivedude » Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:46 pm

guest wrote:
guest wrote:

In case that wasn't clear, I know he has the single-season slugging percentage record, but Ruth's fame is a result of a long and distinguished career of brilliance, while Bonds has only been really great for three or four years.

Bond's big years came only after expansion diluted the pitching and turned him from a star player into a superstar!
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Bonds Is A Joke

Postby Gang Green » Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:58 pm

The Babe hit more home runs in a season than some clubs did back in his day. They're from 2 different eras. You can't just compare them on their numbers alone. Also, Babe Ruth could have been a Hall Of Fame pitcher if he decided to. Ever see Barry put on the pitcher's glove? Lastly, Babe's liver should have been donated to the Smithsonian. He did his numbers not even in halfway decent shape. Mr. Creatine/Steroids Bonds has greatly increased his strength from all that garbage that wasn't even available to the Babe. I mean, look at a picture of Bonds from the early 90's. It's like going from Chris Rock to Mr. T. Bonds couldn't hold Babe's jockstrap if he tried.
I could be wrong in what I'm saying but I'll be dead before I realize it.
Gang Green
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers