Just in case you were still hanging onto Foulke... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Just in case you were still hanging onto Foulke...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Krunk City King$ » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:16 pm

TheRawDAWG wrote:The Boston back end isn't looking very strong. They may have no choice but to put Paps in the rotation if Foulke starts to show he can handle the job again.

Foulke is done. Suxorness, Surgeries, lost velocity this season and more Suxorness in non-save situations.
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby creepingdeath » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:20 pm

Krunk City King$ wrote:
TheRawDAWG wrote:The Boston back end isn't looking very strong. They may have no choice but to put Paps in the rotation if Foulke starts to show he can handle the job again.

Foulke is done. Suxorness, Surgeries, lost velocity this season and more Suxorness in non-save situations.

Yeah, I say stick a fork in him.
creepingdeath
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Another Blown Save » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:25 pm

Wells just went on the DL, and he was supposed to start on Monday.

They'll likely to start Papelbon, and if they do, Foulke should be the guy to close.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Krunk City King$ » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:40 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:Wells just went on the DL, and he was supposed to start on Monday.

They'll likely to start Papelbon, and if they do, Foulke should be the guy to close.

Where are you getting your information from, that Pap is going to replace him in the rotation?

Red Sox place left-hander David Wells on disabled list
Recall right-hander Jermaine Van Buren
04/15/2006 11:19 AM ET

Red Sox Headlines

• Red Sox place Wells on DL
• Boston's Papelbon embracing closing role ;-D

ADVERTISEMENT

print this page | e-mail this page
BOSTON -- The Boston Red Sox today placed lefthander David Wells on the 15-day disabled list (retroactive to April 13) with a right knee sprain and recalled righthander Jermaine Van Buren from Triple-A Pawtucket. Executive Vice President/General Manager Theo Epstein made the announcement.
Van Buren will wear number 46 and is available for this afternoon's game against the Seattle Mariners at Fenway Park. The 25-year-old made his major league debut with the Cubs last August 31 and went 0-2 with a 3.00 ERA (2 ER/6.0 IP) in six relief appearances, limiting opponents to a .118 batting average (2-for-17).

Wells began the season on the 15-day disabled list recovering from right knee surgery. Activated last Wednesday, he made the start that night against Toronto and allowed seven runs on 10 hits and one walk in 4.0 innings, striking out one in an 8-4 loss.

Claimed off waivers from the Cubs December 1, 2005, Van Buren has 47 saves and a 1.86 ERA (25 ER/121.0 IP) in 111 minor league relief appearances since making the move from starter to reliever in 2004. He was named the Cubs' 2005 Pitcher of the Year at Triple-A Iowa after posting a 1.98 ERA (12 ER/54.2 IP) and setting a franchise record with 25 saves.

In 2005, Van Buren ranked second in the Pacific Coast League in saves and limited opponents to a .181 batting average, including a .158 mark by righthanders. The 6-foot-1, 220-pounder posted a 2-3 record in 52 Triple-A relief appearances. Van Buren had 65 strikeouts in 54.2 innings, an average of 10.7 strikeouts per nine innings.

In two relief appearances with Pawtucket this season, Van Buren tossed 4.0 scoreless innings, walked none, struck out six and limited opponents to a .214 batting average (3-for-14).

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/pres ... p&c_id=bos

Red Sox Put Wells on DL for Second Time
April 15, 2006, 10:35AM
© 2006 The Associated Press

BOSTON — The Boston Red Sox placed left-hander David Wells on the 15-day disabled list Saturday with a right knee injury and called up right-hander Jermaine Van Buren from Triple-A Pawtucket.

Wells had offseason surgery on the knee and struggled in his only start of the season, an 8-4 loss to Toronto last Wednesday, after beginning the season on the disabled list. He allowed seven runs on 10 hits _ three of them homers_ before being removed with no outs in the fifth inning.

After Friday night's game against Seattle, Wells received a shot of the joint lubricant Synvisc in the knee. It normally is administered in a series of three injections one week apart.

The 42-year-old Wells was placed on the disabled list retroactive to Thursday and can be activated no earlier than April 28. Last season, his first with Boston, he was 15-7 with a 4.45 ERA.

The Red Sox obtained Van Buren in a trade with the Chicago Cubs last Dec. 1st. In his only major league experience, Van Buren was 0-2 with a 3.00 ERA in six innings for the Cubs last year.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/ ... 95862.html
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Another Blown Save » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:46 pm

Krunk City King$ wrote:
Another Blown Save wrote:Wells just went on the DL, and he was supposed to start on Monday.

Where are you getting your information from, that Pap is going to replace him in the rotation?

That was just my speculation as a Red Sox fan.
Plus, I don't see why they would want to start Alvarez or DiNardo, or whoever over Papelbon.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Matthias » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:50 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:
Krunk City King$ wrote:

Plus, I don't see why they would want to start Alvarez or DiNardo, or whoever over Papelbon.

I have to side with ABS here. I also read the articles you quoted and they don't say one way or the other what role the Sox project for Van Buren once he gets called up. Maybe he takes over the #5 starter role; but there's nothing definitive in that info that says he does.

I mean, the part you bolded, is last year's stats in his work as a reliever. The last time he started was 2004. This was also part of your post.

Claimed off waivers from the Cubs December 1, 2005, Van Buren has 47 saves and a 1.86 ERA (25 ER/121.0 IP) in 111 minor league relief appearances since making the move from starter to reliever in 2004.

So we'll see.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Krunk City King$ » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:50 pm

;-D

You get the hear the latests comments in pre-game shows and call-in talk shows...and you know your club better than I do....we shall see...

Foulke
Of Foulke, Francona said, ‘‘He only threw nine or 10 pitches in the eighth, so he was OK to go back out.’’ Francona wanted to stay away from Rudy Seanez, who pitched a night earlier, and Jonathan Papelbon, because he’s a fresh arm who’ll probably see some action tonight against Seattle.

DiNardo
Francona was understandably pleased with the performance of Lenny DiNardo in Wednesday’s 8-4 loss. The left-hander relieved an ineffective David Wells and gave up six hits and one run over three-plus innings in his second appearance of the season. ‘‘He’s still young and learning how to weave through a major league lineup, but he keeps his eyes and ears open.’’ Francona said that DiNardo ‘‘doesn’t have the ability’’ to throw a straight ball, instead relying on a series of junk pitches that are always moving. He’s also added a slide step to his repertoire.

Pap
Francona said that he expects at some point that Papelbon will probably find himself throwing in the sixth inning for a more extended period, not just the ninth. He also reiterated his aversion to the ‘‘closer’’ tag ...

http://www.patriotledger.com/articles/2 ... orts02.txt
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Krunk City King$ » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:56 pm

Matthias wrote:
Another Blown Save wrote:
Krunk City King$ wrote:

I mean, the part you bolded, is last year's stats in his work as a reliever. The last time he started was 2004. This was also part of your post.

Claimed off waivers from the Cubs December 1, 2005, Van Buren has 47 saves and a 1.86 ERA (25 ER/121.0 IP) in 111 minor league relief appearances since making the move from starter to reliever in 2004.

The part I bolded? What the heck are you talking about?

I only bolded the second paragraph in the second article because that is the only time that he is mentioned. I did not bold anything in the first article, because it is mostly about him and how he became a part of the the team...
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Krunk City King$ » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:05 pm

one for the road... :-°

Papelbon embracing closing role
04/14/2006 7:53 AM ET
By Ian Browne / MLB.com

BOSTON -- Little did Jonathan Papelbon know during his years as a Bulldog -- a Mississippi State Bulldog, that is -- that he was essentially in Basic Training.
Is there a way to prepare for closing games for the Boston Red Sox in an ultra-intense environment amid the backdrop of a packed house just about every night? Perhaps not, but performing last call for Mississippi State, which Papelbon did from 2001-03, is about as good a dress rehearsal as one can get.

Fans take their college baseball seriously at Mississippi State. They pack Dudy Noble Field with some 15,000 hollering fans for just about every game, and that was where Papelbon, who saved 13 games during his college career, first felt Fenway Park-like intensity.

"Very similar to here, the fans expect you to win every time you go out there," Papelbon said. "The fans expect you to be perfect and they're intense and they're behind you at all times and that's a great advantage for you, when you can use that to your advantage."

Much like Mississippi State was at a distinct advantage having Papelbon stifle opponents at the end of games, so have the Red Sox during the early portion of the 2006 season.

He is 25 years old, and has a mere 75 days of Major League service time at his disposal, yet youth seems to only be an ally to Papelbon. The confidence seems to exude from his mind and go right to his right arm every time he throws a pitch.

You might notice Papelbon take a measured breath before a crucial pitch. There is a reason for it.

"I just take a deep breath and exhale and get all the bad thoughts out and try to create some good thoughts and deliver the pitch," said Papelbon.

And that's basically all he's done in his brief Major League career thus far -- deliver again and again.

Papelbon, whose future will likely be as a starting pitcher, began this season as a setup man, a role he performed with uncanny fearlessness in the heat of a pennant race during the final month of the 2005 season.

But when the first save opportunity of the 2006 season presented itself to manager Terry Francona in game 3, the call to the bullpen went to Papelbon instead of Keith Foulke, who is coming off multiple knee surgeries and didn't pitch a lot during Spring Training.

Papelbon took the ball with a 2-1 lead that night in Texas and struck out two of the three batters he faced for his first Major League save. He repeated the feat three more times in eerily similar fashion, hardly blinking at a chore that supposedly comes with so much pressure.

Through his first five outings this season, Papelbon is 4-for-4 in saves and has allowed a grand total of two baserunners (a single and a hit batter) while striking out five.

The Red Sox still don't call him their closer, even though that's what he's effectively been early in the season. But when the bullpen door opens and he runs to the mound with the responsibility of holding a lead, he can feel the adrenaline pumping hard.

"It's intense, it gets me going, it gets me fired up and zoned in with what's going on right then and there," Papelbon said. "It's intense and I like it. I get a thrill out of it."

With his considerable arsenal of pitches and the body to be a workhorse for a decade-plus, the bullpen seems almost certain to be a temporary thing in the body of his career. But Papelbon doesn't worry about what he'll be doing in the future. He knows that in Boston, you have to focus on the here and now.

"I just think of myself as a pitcher helping the team win, that's it," Papelbon said. "Right now, starting isn't even in my mind, I don't really even think about it, to be honest with you."

Just as Papelbon's signature pitch is his fastball -- 95 mph is the most frequent radar-gun reading -- his rise to prominence has been equally swift. Consider that one year ago, he was a prospect, taking his regular turn in the rotation for Double-A Portland and then Triple-A Pawtucket.

And when the Red Sox needed an emergency starter to replace the ailing Wade Miller for a July 31 start against the Twins, Papelbon -- then referred to as Jon Papelbon -- got the call.

Naturally, Papelbon struck out the first two batters he faced that game, though he wound up with no decision.

Ever since then, it seems, he's been on the fast track.

"I think his stuff is obvious but his demeanor -- the game has never sped up on him," said Francona. "That's probably the hardest thing for young guys is, you get in a tight situation, you get in a bind and the game is going quick. He has the ability to compete and not let it get going too fast. I think it's rare, I think it's almost unfair. The reason the game slows down is because guys live through it. He hasn't, but he has a rare ability to do that."

How is it that Papelbon doesn't seem to know anything about fear, even under the most trying of situations?

"I think it's just been instilled in me at a young age, playing Little League at a young age and playing competitive baseball growing up," Papelbon said. "I always wanted to go out there and just give 100 percent and not ever have to look back and say, 'Man, did I give it my all that outing?'"

Nobody has questioned his effort or his stuff since the Red Sox made him a fourth-round selection in the 2003 draft. But it is Papelbon's poise and adaptability that have been certifiable eye-openers.

"The fact that he's managed to continue developing at the big-league level is hard," said Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein. "Sometimes guys go into sort of survival mode and they stop working on things and they stop getting better and they just sort of figure out a way to survive. He's picked up a two-seamer, he's probably improved his command a little bit, he's locked in his mechanics. That's hard to do, to develop even as you're breaking in to the big leagues, so it's been impressive."

Veterans on the club have noticed Papelbon developing not just from week to week, but pitch to pitch.

Curt Schilling watched with pride last Saturday in Baltimore as Papelbon badly misfired on a splitter to Kevin Millar, only to come back with the same pitch and strike out Millar to end the game.

"You know what? He's something else," Schilling said. "We talked in Spring Training, [and] one of the things I always talk about with young pitchers is the ability to be your own pitching coach and to be able to make adjustments pitch to pitch and nowhere is that more important than being a closer. You can't allow yourself to make multiple bad pitches.

"He threw that first split about 52 feet and I've done it, you overthrow it, you get two strikes and then he turns around and comes back with a fantastic one. And that shows me that he's thinking on the fly and making adjustments. When you can do that, things really start to come together for you. He's locating and that's huge. When you can locate a 95-mph fastball, you can do a lot of things."

Despite the early burst of success, Papelbon has specific things he wants to refine.

"My slider and split go hand-in-hand, I'm working on those," said Papelbon.

As for the Red Sox, they'll just keep giving Papelbon the ball with the game on the line. He's given them no reason not to.

Said Francona: "I told him in [Spring Training] when he first got down there, 'We view you as a starter, [but] it might not happen now. But I guarantee you one thing, you're going to pitch a lot of innings that mean something, meaningful innings.' I think that was probably a pretty correct statement."

But the one making the statement -- more emphatic it seems with each outing -- is Papelbon.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/content/p ... 399830.jsp
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:00 am

Another Blown Save wrote:That was just my speculation as a Red Sox fan.

I'm not sure what to say, but you don't see Mo getting starts for the Yanks just because Wright sucks. The Red Sox have the best closer in baseball. You don't screw with that. They can send Lenny in and he will give up 2-3 ER in 6-7 IP and they will lose or win the game-- for multiple starts. And, eventually, Clemens will join the rotation. The SPs love knowing Paps is nailz. They all totally trust him with the ball in the 9th.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers