Hot hitters - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hot hitters

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hot hitters

Postby JohnnyBenchBest Ever » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:06 am

Has anyone ever used 1 spot on there roster for the guy that gets hot for a week or two and churns different guys in and out? I know people do this with starters. Is this a good strategy in a daily lineup H2H league?
JohnnyBenchBest Ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LooseCannon » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:03 am

I'd say it's a decent strategy if you have someone to drop, but by the end of the season you will be hitting yourself in the head for adding dropping someone who had a great year.

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Thursday » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:05 am

LooseCannon wrote:I'd say it's a decent strategy if you have someone to drop, but by the end of the season you will be hitting yourself in the head for adding dropping someone who had a great year.

Yeah, i actually did this exact thing for Marcus Giles one season... :~(
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:09 am

Harder to do for hitters then with pitchers. Pitchers can be churned because of their match-ups, and you can somewhat predict the good starts. Hitters just have streaks where they hit well regardless of where they are playing or who is pitching. More risky with the offensive guys.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby rentz » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:20 am

ive never been a big fan of the turnstile rosters. because you end up putting really solid guys on the wire for your opponents to snag.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Hot hitters

Postby Matthias » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:25 am

JohnnyBenchBest Ever wrote:Has anyone ever used 1 spot on there roster for the guy that gets hot for a week or two and churns different guys in and out? I know people do this with starters. Is this a good strategy in a daily lineup H2H league?

i think the answer is: it's a great idea until it isn't.

the problem with, "playing the hot hand" is that alot of times it's not that they're actually, "on" but just a statistical outlier that gets corrected by a string of o-fers once you pick them up.

as a general policy, though, picking up guys based on matchups and favorable ballparks isn't a bad idea.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby biju » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:45 am

I did this one year, but there was a reason: my 3rd OF was on the DL and I didn't have anyone else to play that was hitting solid. So what I did was look at very specific matchups; basically the splits on the hitter/pitcher matchup and day/night games or home/away. At that point I had a fair idea of who could have a good game.

I wasn't extremely successful at it, but I would certainly say it was better than simply plugging in a 3rd OF and let him swing.

Of course, once my 3rd OF was healthy again he went back into the lineup. He still did better than my predictions with the "scrubs".
biju
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:20 pm

I did this with Sizemore last year. It's a decent strategy, but watch those players closely. You don't want to drop a guy like Grady because you think his streak is over. :~(
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JohnnyBenchBest Ever » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:22 pm

I was thinking of using Hawpe because he's hot and they have a 9 game home stand up comming. But I'd have to let go of Wilkerson.
JohnnyBenchBest Ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers