Low WW Priority: A good thing? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Low WW Priority: A good thing?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Low WW Priority: A good thing?

Postby BritSox » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:23 am

I noticed this in my rookie year, when i naively made loads of add/drops straight after the draft. Anyhow, throughout the year, I made loads of Waiver claims of good, solid, middle-round players to replace sleepers that didn't pan out or backup guys, and I think only one was beaten out by a higher waiver.

I know in a league where I have third priority, I've been much more reluctant to part with the priority for good players with injuries that were hastily dropped.

It just seems that it might be better to make liberal use of waiver claims to grab three or four good players in slumps/on the 15 day DL whilst those with high priority wait and hope they reach FA, than to wait for one enormous brainfart or the hot september callup.

I would say this is more true in good leagues, where guys pay more attention to WW priority, but I got King Felix in my public league just because no one else paid attention, so it's probably a general thing.

(Note to mods: I know this is a waiver question, but it's a general strategy rather than specific 'should I pick up Chipper' or whatever issue, so belongs here, right?)
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby tgalv » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:32 am

i see what you're saying. sometimes you're missing up good oportunities waiting for a big score, and then that big score never comes, or hasn't come yet so you waste the claim on someone not that great anyway. and everyone's favorite - you finally get a decent waiver player, then two days later an even bigger name is dropped.

i think the strategy has gotta be just based on what you are expecting to come along like you said.

and if i was near the top of the standings i'd be more likely to hold the claim looking to put the nail in the coffin, whereas if my team was struggling you might as well get all the help you can.
tgalv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Low WW Priority: A good thing?

Postby ironman » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:54 am

BritSox wrote:I would say this is more true in good leagues, where guys pay more attention to WW priority, but I got King Felix in my public league just because no one else paid attention, so it's probably a general thing.

Eh, I don't think you can really look at strategy in a public league. If you're lucky maybe 3 other managers in a public league are actually taking things seriously. Most private leagues with the majority keeping up on things will be watching the waivers like a hawk.

I think in a keeper league that teams tend to hold on to their waiver priority a bit more just to maybe snag a late season callup. That strategy can bode well for you in a redraft too, like in the case of Felix last season. But I've also seen guys late in the year blow their #1 priority on BJ Upton, so it can be a bust as well.

Also there's the fun waivers game in an AL or NL-Only league at the trade deadline. You never know who will switch leagues so waiver priority can be huge.

I tend to err on the side of caution with waiver pickups. It basically has to be a player that would be a noticeable improvement over the player I'm currently starting.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:12 am

I think it really depends how competitive your league is. The tougher the league, the more a WW advantage is necessary. In those competitive leagues, you need whatever edge you can get. Don't worry too much about your WW priority however. It's one of the small things in fantasy baseball, and probably something you shouldn't plan around too much.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby number9 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:21 am

Yeah, I think there is something to having low WW priority. Then you have priority over all the people waiting for FA. I managed to grab some solid players this way, before the season began.
number9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Low WW Priority: A good thing?

Postby mak1277 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:38 am

ironman wrote:Also there's the fun waivers game in an AL or NL-Only league at the trade deadline. You never know who will switch leagues so waiver priority can be huge.

This is a major consideration for me (I usually limit myself to NL-only leagues). I like to try and be near the top around the time of the deadline, but I won't pass up someone that looks like a great deal. That top WW priority isn't any good unless you use it.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:42 am

its nice to have a high priority but i dont mind a low priority. i'm more likely to use a low priority. if i see i guy i am interested hit waivers i'll use the low priority without thinking about it. if i have a high priority, i spend more time thinking about whether the guy is worth losing the top priority than whether or not he could help my team.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby MotorCityKitties » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:18 pm

If you have a low priority and a guy with marginal value is dropped you can take a chance without much concern. The guy with the high priority will wait until the morning to see if he cleared waivers only to see that you used your 12th priority. It's nice because you don't have to get up early to scamper to you computer.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers