what's the best single-season fantasy stat line? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

what's the best single-season fantasy stat line?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:45 am

mak1277 wrote:Off the top of my head I can't remember the year, but there was (at least) one season where Ruth out-homered every other TEAM. I'll take that.

yea and remember ruth threw bunch of shutouts also, but not sure if he was a slugger that same season
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:56 am

Every year AROD plays
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby great gretzky » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:33 pm

its ruth, no question, mathamtically, its not even really debateable, except that he outhomered everyone by such a margin that you probably had the hr's locked up by the end of may.

You could get away with not drafting half of your hitters, and loading totally on all the best pitchers. You would destroy a league like that. The only problem area would be steals. so you pick ruth and a bunch of run/steal producers later, and all pitchers. Ruth could carry your whole squad.

It would almost be like if crawford outstole every other team combined. Except a HR yields three cats in and of itself.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby nuggets » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:29 pm

You have to factor in positional scarcity and the stats of all other players during that season. It's hard to figure out...Tavish knows.

I'll guess Ty Cobb 1911. Ruth can his as many HR as he wants; 147 runs, 127 RBI, 83 SB and .420 BA on 248 hits is tough to beat...hmm still probably doesn't beat Ruth's 1921. :-?
Last edited by nuggets on Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nuggets » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:35 pm

great gretzky wrote:It would almost be like if crawford outstole every other team combined. Except a HR yields three cats in and of itself.

That is fallacy. A run and RBI from a HR does not get you extra stats.

Cap Anson's career 2076 RBI on 97 HR are more valuable (even if he only had 1996) than Lou Gehrig's 1995 RBI on 493 HR.

Also, there was a little bit of balance in the HR catagory provided by Jimmie Foxx, Hack Wilson, Rodgers Hornsby and a few others between 1922 and 1931.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nuggets » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:46 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:
mak1277 wrote:Off the top of my head I can't remember the year, but there was (at least) one season where Ruth out-homered every other TEAM. I'll take that.

yea and remember ruth threw bunch of shutouts also, but not sure if he was a slugger that same season

Ruth would have been a good fantasy pitcher 1915-1917. The hitting starts a couple years after that. Hmm, the guy could of hit 150 more HR if the Sox didn't make him pitch :-b
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby great gretzky » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:07 pm

hmm, how is it a fallacy that a home run also provides arun and an rbi?

A stolen base may lead to a run, but it doesn't necessarily have to. And it certainly doesn't provide a home run or rbi.

I'm not implying that there is some double dipping going on. Christ, sometimes people miss a larger point in their effort to nitpick.

I wish we could find this article. The point being, that there was no way you could lose the hr category if you had ruth. Unless you totally took the worst players of the area, you would sweep all the hitting cats. 177 runs, 59 home runs, 171 rbi, while batting .378? Think of what ichiro did for team averages that year? Actually, its like if ichrio suddenly became a power hitter and didn't lose average. I don't see how Ruth's 1921 season is even debateable to be honest. The next highest hr producer (mixed) had 24 home runs. If you played in a normal league, the rest of the power would be too carved up for anyone to do anything about ruth's disproportionate effect. There were only (I believe) 14 other guys who even broke 100 rbi, and the high 120's is the next closest anyone comes to him.

As for your career examples, what do any of those have to do with the fact that the year in question, no one held a candle to the Babe? We aren't talking about 1922-1931, we are talking about 1921... and he provided double-digit steals. This is the most monstrous season--especially when you consider that fantasy is a game of relativity. I can't think of a player who has outproduced his peers by such a wide margin in any other season.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby nuggets » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:10 pm

great gretzky wrote:hmm, how is it a fallacy that a home run also provides arun and an rbi?

A stolen base may lead to a run, but it doesn't necessarily have to. And it certainly doesn't provide a home run or rbi.

I'm not implying that there is some double dipping going on. Christ, sometimes people miss a larger point in their effort to nitpick.

It's not nitpicking, it's a common misconception that somehow a HR is more valuable than a SB in today's standard 5 x 5 fantasy because you also recieve a run and rbi.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nuggets » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:15 pm

great gretzky wrote:I wish we could find this article. The point being, that there was no way you could lose the hr category if you had ruth. Unless you totally took the worst players of the area, you would sweep all the hitting cats. 177 runs, 59 home runs, 171 rbi, while batting .378? Think of what ichiro did for team averages that year? Actually, its like if ichrio suddenly became a power hitter and didn't lose average. I don't see how Ruth's 1921 season is even debateable to be honest.

Yes, Ruth's 1921 is incredible. Notice I aknowledged that after guessing Cobb's 1911. The only way a player could have higher fantasy value is if he was far and above #1 in a catagory like Ruth is (or more than onecat ) and/or some combination of that and positional scarcity. Rogers Hornsby at 2B would have been very valuable.
Last edited by nuggets on Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nuggets » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:22 pm

Here is one for us to chew on. In 1884 Charley Radbourn pitched:

678.7 innings (omnipotent weight to era and whip)
1.38 ERA
0.920 WHIP
441 K
59 wins.

That might wins 4 cats alone. 8-o
Last edited by nuggets on Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers