How does a commish handle this? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How does a commish handle this?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mikhayl » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:58 am

mbuser wrote:it's likely one person signed up for the two spots with 2 ID's. i'd lock them both down -- not much else you can do as it seems you can tell how the rest of the season will go with him/them

100% chance it's one person.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Smee » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:41 pm

Right, so I locked both teams from trading (once again) and posted a message to the rest of the league explaining why. I logged in this morning to find that one of the suspicious teams whined on the message board and then dumped most of his players to the WW.

Gah.

I locked that team from all activities and posted another message to the league explaining that I was going to add the dropped players back to his team and take over his daily line up changes. This isn't really a big problem, I just wish I could reach through the internet and punch this kid in the face. I swear he can't be much past 14 years old.

Lessons I've learned:

1) being commish can be a hassle
2) don't open the league up to random yahoo people
Go 'Topes!
Smee
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MMoNeY24 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:02 pm

You could try and start a new league and get two reliable people. I don't know what the reception would be as you lose stats from the first two weeks, but overall you'll get a better league in the end. Locking up both teams and changing lineups is probably the way to go right now though.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby ironman » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:11 pm

Smee wrote:Right, so I locked both teams from trading (once again) and posted a message to the rest of the league explaining why. I logged in this morning to find that one of the suspicious teams whined on the message board and then dumped most of his players to the WW.

Gah.

I locked that team from all activities and posted another message to the league explaining that I was going to add the dropped players back to his team and take over his daily line up changes. This isn't really a big problem, I just wish I could reach through the internet and punch this kid in the face. I swear he can't be much past 14 years old.

Lessons I've learned:

1) being commish can be a hassle
2) don't open the league up to random yahoo people

Number 2 is the big lesson here. I only publish my league on the Yahoo directory for anyone to join when its a mock draft league and I just need some bodies to fill it. Otherwise if I need managers I will either ask my friends that are in the league if they have any referrals, or I use the Classifieds here at that Cafe.

When using the Classifieds here I recommend asking that potential managers email you to get the ID/Password for the league. Simply posting the info to join could land you with the same predicament you have now. Not that it wouldn't happen the other way but I have found that people that are willing to take a little extra time to email you for more information to join are probably going to take the league a little more seriously.

Oh, and one other tip. If a newbie joins and they immediately suggest their "friend" to fill another spot, take caution. They may be legit but I would look elsewhere to fill the remaining holes. I usually just lie and tell them that I've got some people lined up that I'm waiting for a response from, that way even if I have nobody they don't think I'm a jerk for denying their friend, whether they be fictional or not.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers