A Question for Billy Beaniaks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A Question for Billy Beaniaks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A Question for Billy Beaniaks

Postby Y`s Guy » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:11 pm

He apparently did very well when he reaped in rewards for Hudson and Mulder. But he seems to counterbalance his greatness with moves like:

Estaban Loaiza for three years and 21.38 million dollars?

Based on his 1st two starts the A's will be lucky if he ever wins 8 games in any of those seasons.

The man is putrid. :-P

Putrid. :-P

My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 275)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby KolbSaves » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:25 pm

People are always out to find the exception to his rule (pun intended). Let's give ALL players more than a week and a half to see if they're good or not this season, eh?
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Y`s Guy » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:36 pm

Trust me...I am not referring solely on his first two starts when I say he is putrid :-P , eh?

Opponents hit .305 against him this spring. And look at those career BAAs.

Here's a link to putridity...

UGHHH!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby Madison » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:52 pm

People are just now realizing that Loaiza stinks? 8-o Where have you guys been? Under a rock? :-D :-b :-D :-b

Other than his fluky year, and at home last year (in Yellowstone National Park), he's always stunk. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Y`s Guy » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:56 pm

I just felt like highlighting one if the worst contracts given out in the last 10 years or so.
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:07 pm

Y`s Guy wrote:I just felt like highlighting one if the worst contracts given out in the last 10 years or so.

Unfortunately my Rangers hold that title with the 5 year, $65 million they gave Chan Ho Park. :,-(
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby KPucks » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:30 am

Y`s Guy wrote:I just felt like highlighting one if the worst contracts given out in the last 10 years or so.

I'm sorry, but Loazia's contract is hardly one of the worst in the past ten years, especially when pitchers that are as bad or worse than he is are getting 6-7 million a year.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby BobbyRoberto » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:34 am

This is a Loaiza rant posing as a Billy Beane question.

Loaiza has been brutal this year. I watched his first game against Seattle and his fastball topped out around 84 MPH. His control has deserted him. He does stink so far. Maybe he's injured? Either way, Billy Beane has enough good moves under his belt to make up for signing Loaiza.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:35 am

BobbyRoberto wrote:This is a Loaiza rant posing as a Billy Beane question.

Loaiza has been brutal this year. I watched his first game against Seattle and his fastball topped out around 84 MPH. His control has deserted him. He does stink so far. Maybe he's injured? Either way, Billy Beane has enough good moves under his belt to make up for signing Loaiza.

That's basically what it comes down to for me, too. The guy's done so many great things that make you shake your head, that he's got to be allowed a free pass every once in awhile, and to try and take a chance to win, I suppose...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby RynMan » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:30 am

bigh0rt wrote:
BobbyRoberto wrote:This is a Loaiza rant posing as a Billy Beane question.

That's basically what it comes down to for me, too. The guy's done so many great things that make you shake your head, that he's got to be allowed a free pass every once in awhile, and to try and take a chance to win, I suppose...

That's it. The A's were able to spend money this season and they did. Do I like the contract? No. But I don't see Loaiza being with the A's for the duration of it. The market for pitching will get out of control and he will be easy to trade at that price.

Don't think I heard any criticism for Schuerholtz's failed Brian Jordan, Raul Mondesi, Dan Kolb projects.

My point is no GM is perfect. The good one's just do most of the right things.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers