papelbon - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

papelbon

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Joe Mauer » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:33 am

:~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :-P :,-( :~( :~( :~( :~(

:~(

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby quitesanemax » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:34 pm

converge241 wrote:got a mohawk today if that counts as an injury :-]

if they were going to move pap back they wouldnt have lenny freakin dinardo starting TWICE

they DID call up delcarmen today though..let the "foulke back to closer" stuff start again (people might say a hard thrower like that could be used in 7/8 and let foulke close again)

pap is there for the year though i think

Foulke has looked pretty good himself. Papelbon has been lights out. I think they will keep Papelbon in there until (if) he blows a few games, and then they will give the job back to Foulke. For the shortterm Papelbon is the closer... but the season is long, and I'm not convinced he will be there all season.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby footballsimp » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:14 am

as a fan I hope they keep him there. why try to fix something if it aint broke. the guy has been lights OUT! Foulke scares me
footballsimp
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby quitesanemax » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:03 pm

footballsimp wrote:as a fan I hope they keep him there. why try to fix something if it aint broke. the guy has been lights OUT! Foulke scares me

I tell you what worries me about keeping Papelbon as the closer. They are supposedly grooming him to be a lights out starter in a year or two. What affect is closing going to have on that? What affect is pitching just about every day going to have on him becoming a starter sooner or later? How is it going to affect his arm? How is it going to affect his psyche? Schilling has said that going from being a closer to being a starter is very difficult... while it isn't as difficult to go from being a starter to being a closer. I don't know enough about it to say. If having him as a lights out closer for this year prevents him from being the lights out starter in a few years that we all know he is capable of... as a fan, I hope they don't do this. On the other hand, there have been pitchers that have done it...

But I just don't know enough about it to say. If closing for a year, while waiting for minor league prospects to get ready is safe on Papelbon's arm and psyche, I'm okay with it. In another forum, the idea was bought up that they might trade Foulke... Maybe they can get a decent 3rd, 4th, or 5th starter (which, if they aren't going to use Papelbon as a closer, they desperately need!) for him if he continues to do good.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HasteTheDay » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:59 pm

Well.... in his college days at Mississippi St., Papelbon was used as a closer... then was used as a starter in the minors, called up to the majors last year as a starter, now is being used as a closer this year. A few things are certain:

College Closer: Good
Minor League Starter: Good
Major League Starter: Good
Major League Closer: Good

This kid is going to have massive value no matter where he ends up. Personally, I think they will keep him in a closer role. Right now, that whole situation is revolving around HIM. If he keeps tearing it up, they won't take him out of that role.
HasteTheDay
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby number9 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:25 pm

Smoltz didn't have any problems becoming a closer then starter again. Papelbon seems to be similar. Are they a special breed, or should pitchers be able to adjust?
number9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby beatlehead84 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:00 am

I wonder if Papelbon will remain closer for his career, especially with his history. When a guy does that well (assuming he keeps it up), it is very hard for a team to make a change. As a converted starter on a team that can afford to bring in starting pitching year after year, you wonder if he will remain in the position he's in. Relievers and closers are getting very expensive and don't always produce so why would you screw with a good thing?
beatlehead84
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hoya1982 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:36 am

number9 wrote:Smoltz didn't have any problems becoming a closer then starter again. Papelbon seems to be similar. Are they a special breed, or should pitchers be able to adjust?

Yeah, I think the whole thing is overblown. It might take some amount of adjustment to make the switch within the season, but I think anyone who has started should generally be able to switch back and forth without any problems. I do however buy the theory that guys who have only succeeded as closers may have trouble becoming starters because they only rely on two pitches which become less effective as they go through the order multiple times.
hoya1982
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hoya1982 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:37 am

number9 wrote:Smoltz didn't have any problems becoming a closer then starter again. Papelbon seems to be similar. Are they a special breed, or should pitchers be able to adjust?

Yeah, I think the whole thing is overblown. It might take some amount of adjustment to make the switch within the season, but I think anyone who has started should generally be able to switch back and forth without any problems. I do however buy the theory that guys who have only succeeded as closers may have trouble becoming starters because they only rely on two pitches which become less effective as they go through the order multiple times.
hoya1982
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hoya1982 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:37 am

hoya1982
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates