Is it too early to vent a little? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Is it too early to vent a little?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby moochman » Fri May 26, 2006 11:28 am

Hannahan is supposed to be replacing DY, no? All he has to do is work on his strike outs and he's there. lol. I don't always agree with Leyland, but I do wonder if he is telling his team that no matter who you are, you are expected to produce. Even if you are fresh from the bush leagues.

What happened to Maroth? This is my biggest fear with this team. Their pitching staff has never finished. Good starts and fast fades. This team has earned enough good faith that I will not believe they will stop pitching well until they tell me to. Faith, pride and joy. How long since those words were associated with the Tiges?

Good Times ;-D
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri May 26, 2006 3:18 pm

moochman wrote:Hannahan is supposed to be replacing DY, no? All he has to do is work on his strike outs and he's there. lol. I don't always agree with Leyland, but I do wonder if he is telling his team that no matter who you are, you are expected to produce. Even if you are fresh from the bush leagues.

What happened to Maroth? This is my biggest fear with this team. Their pitching staff has never finished. Good starts and fast fades. This team has earned enough good faith that I will not believe they will stop pitching well until they tell me to. Faith, pride and joy. How long since those words were associated with the Tiges?

Good Times ;-D

heard Maroth is going to the DL
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Sat May 27, 2006 12:14 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:heard Maroth is going to the DL

Doesn't sound too good either. Sore Elbows are a sign of death for a pitcher's season. I hope I am wrong and it's only some inflammation, but what is the underlying reason for it? He has had issues with it before that resolved itself, so there is help.

What I don't get is why did they let him pitch at all? He is reported to have had the soreness since the end of his last start, it still didn't feel right before the KC game. So why did they even play him?

I have a bad feeling about Verlander today. I think the Injuns are pissed and are going to unload on him. 8-o
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat May 27, 2006 9:13 pm

I like Hannahan as a future backup corner infielder, but I'm not so sure he should be getting many at bats over red hot Thames right now. Hannahan has very little power or speed. But I think we've started to learn very well that with Leyland, if you are on the roster, you are definitely going to play. The search for another effective left handed bat shall continue...

Maroth would be a big loss and hopefully nothing bad is wrong, but at the very least the team has some reasonable depth at SP. It's hard to trust the likes of Colon, Grilli, Ledezma, Miner, Tata, etc as much as Maroth, but the options are there.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Sun May 28, 2006 12:46 pm

I want to edit my misspelled entry yest. Should have read I have a good feeling about Verlander. The Injuns have no chance against him. Now Rogers is in for another tough outing. We just can't keep a team as powerful as Cleveland down.....can we?

Hannahan looks over-matched. I think maybe JJ would be just the tonic he needs, but the thought of him getting any time against the name teams like the Suxes and Yankers makes me shudder. I would start him at 8th or 9th today and sit him for a bit, barring an explosion today.

Sounds like they're going to go with Colon to cover Maroth's spot, eh? I have to say I would much rather they give Zumaya a shot. Imaging if he could throw 6-7 innings like Verlander? Hey I've been eating so much crow for all the mis-calls I've had on DD's decisions that maybe Colon will do well. I don't see it happening, but I like his odds better than BBQ Grilli.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Tue May 30, 2006 4:52 pm

I have a feeling the chances of Zumaya getting any starts (at least while we are in contention) are slim to none. He is a major factor in the bullpen and the other fill in options at SP have potential to hold their own. I'm not ruling him out of the rotation for his career, just for this year.

I'm actually anticipating seeing Colon start. He has great stuff, but the results have never been up to par. Unfortunately I expect him to give up at least a couple of HRs tonight. That seems to be a big problem for him.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Wed May 31, 2006 12:13 am

Colon stunk tonight. Just as you feared, his results do not match his stuff.

I was heartened slightly by the comeback they had, but there are too many bad ABs out there for this team to hang with the big boys. Take the 1st for example. Bases loaded and no outs and Maggs pops up on a pitch he had to leap out of the batter's box to reach, Guillen makes an out on a weak liner despite Small's best attempts to walk in a run. He fouled off no less than to terrible ball fours. Then Shelton continues his tough hitting, striking out on a pitch that he needed a ladder for. Could have broken the game open, instead opened the door for the Yanks.

There have just been too many of these types of ABs lately. If they don't turn that around soon they will be in danger of being exposed as a pretender instead of the contender that they could be.
Zumaya was awsome. He looks like he has found his curve, and it is dangerous.
Rollercoaster Jones was just what he is, extremely hittable for patient hitters. He shouldn't get any more chances against the Yanks. They are too disciplined to fall for his crap.

At least they have hit Mussina well at times, so maybe they can stop the bleeding tonight. (crosses fingers, but doesn't hold his breath) We need a big win, I'd hate to think that we'd put so much pressure on Verlander to stop this losing streak.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:41 pm

One thing is apparent: The Tigers are not a solid a team as the Yankees. From making poor throws on the field to the continuous stream of poor ABs, that is the one thing this series has shown us.

And as if the going wasn't bad enough now there is news that Maroth is probably lost for the season. He is to undergo arthroscopic surgery to clean out his elbow, according to Booth news and comfirmed by Tiger beat writer Tom Gage.

Hold on boys, it could get a little rocky for a bit here.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:08 am

How much longer before we have a closer by commitee situation here? Jones absolutely killed us last night. A terrible way to start a series against a superior opponant. I cannot tell you how much it upsets me to see a very well pitched game blown by our third best closer.

How much more patience will Leyland show him?
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:19 am

I saw the game Colon pitched. He has a nice fastball and his other pitches are decent, but that simply isn't enough to get big league hitters out. Next up Zach Miner. Don't look now, but after a rough first start, Jordan Tata has put up two very fine starts at Toledo. I wouldn't be surprised if he was next in line, although can a playoff contender (as of now) really rely on TWO rookie starters?

Jones, Jones, Jones. He didn't get that rollercoaster nickname for nothing. Just a couple of appearances ago, he was getting ready to drop his ERA below 3 and now it's up near 6. I thought he got left out there too long after having a pretty solid first inning before falling apart against a dangerous lefty like Giambi up, but the bullpen was getting used up so there just wasn't much in the way of options at that point. I also think Ordonez *should* have caught that ball that went off his glove after which I shut the game off. I thought he looked good against the Red Sox last night UNTIL that huge mistake pitch to Youkilis. He impressively gets Ramirez out, but gets beat by Youkilis in a big way and that is disappointing. Jones had a very nice stretch, but right now, I don't trust him. Maybe we can look on the bright side that we have backup options in Zumaya and Rodney.

Thames: he's a poor fielder, but I am slowly getting more and more impressed with his bat. Seems he's learned to take a walk a little more often than he used to. He may not still be the answer at DH for the remainder of the year, but he is clearly a better option than DY. Now if only Polanco could do so as well, he might not be barely keeping that OBP above .300 which is HORRIBLE for a #2 hitter. Nice game offensively last night for him, though, and it seems he's been getting a little bit of power back lately. Needs to do that more often in such an important part of the lineup.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Detroit Tigers