Is it too early to vent a little? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Is it too early to vent a little?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby moochman » Tue May 16, 2006 11:58 am

mcqfesijiba wrote:In the end of May and through about half of June, the schedule picks up and this team will be tested. We will see Cleveland, the Yankees, Toronto, Red Sox, and the White Sox (not necessarily in that order) during that stretch. Now those are the games I've been looking forward to. One strong offensive team after another.

Let's hope that stretch doesn't destroy out season. It is grueling and the pitching will really show it's mettle. I don't expect us to come out of that run with a winning record, but I would like to be close to .500 and be in most of those games.........then I look again. The Yankees, Injuns, and Toronto aren't impressing to this stage of the season. So why couldn't be hang with them?
The White Sux and Red Sux are going to be a problem. If we can win 40% of those games and 60% of the others we could walk away with a winning record for that stretch and solidify our position as one of the best teams in baseball.........then I look again. Did I really say best teams in baseball in reference to the Tigers?

So we see how important those games will be, eh? But first those pesky Twinkies are coming to town followed by fellow surprise team, the Reds. There really are few easy games.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Tue May 23, 2006 11:44 am

I can't complain too much lately, but last night vs KC Verlander threw almost 120 pitches again. Got to worry about how he'll hold up later in the year. It was an excellent start apparently according to the stats. It was a shame it wasn't on TV.

Also, it was very interesting to see Polanco strike out 3 times in one game, especially considering the Tigers as a team struck out only 4 times. That's more of an observation than a complaint.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Tue May 23, 2006 12:33 pm

Did I hear right that he was clocked a no less than 99 MPH in 9th?

I think the thing with V that allows more pitches per outing is that he has such an easy motion that he doens't appear to be working very hard. Leyland seems to think it's more about how hard your working your arm more than how many pitches you make. I hope he's right.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue May 23, 2006 3:16 pm

moochman wrote:Did I hear right that he was clocked a no less than 99 MPH in 9th?

I think the thing with V that allows more pitches per outing is that he has such an easy motion that he doens't appear to be working very hard. Leyland seems to think it's more about how hard your working your arm more than how many pitches you make. I hope he's right.

Yeah I listened to the game and they did call out a 99 mph fastball when he struck out Mientkiewicz in the 9th. I dont know about you guys, but this kid is unreal and I am just in awe that the Tigers have such a phenom on their hands. He's so much fun to watch - his motion is flawless and his quick setup is a real treat for fans (let alone what hitters must be thinking when they aren't given as much time to think things through as they are used to), when was the last time you remember commentators having to hustle to keep up with the pitcher?

Its barely a month and a half into the season and I am already a big believer in JV. If people dont think he's easily one of the best young talents in baseball today, they havent been paying attention. ;-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor

Postby moochman » Wed May 24, 2006 12:45 pm

Is V qualified for rookie of the year honors? Lot of good rooks, but none have had the success of this guy. IMO.

When you look at all that is going right for this team: Signings of Rogers and Jones. Bringing up V, Z, and even Tata. Granderson proving that he belongs in the show. And the hiring of Leyland and his staff. Other than the fatman have the Tigers had anything not work out? SO FAR!

Did you see Z last night? Everytime he pitches I can't help but wonder what this guy will do if he can harness his curve. I also wonder how well he'd do starting. His delivery doesn't look all that awkward to me.

We need Bonderman to throw a dominating game tonight. Sweeping the Royals would be sweet, but winning 3 or 4 is essential for us. And Bonderman needs to re-establish himself. Go Tiges!

Good Times. :-D
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dannomyte » Wed May 24, 2006 12:56 pm

Is V qualified for rookie of the year honors? Lot of good rooks, but none have had the success of this guy. IMO.

Verlander still qualifies as a rookie. Unfortunately so does Jonathan Papelbon.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby moochman » Wed May 24, 2006 1:04 pm

How much would that suck. V keeps on pace and loses to a closer who just happens to play on one of the biggest media darlings. Friggen espn and their Yankee/Red Sux love affair.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed May 24, 2006 5:28 pm

I do trust Leyland compared to many other managers, but still even with that smooth, easy motion, Verlander was shut down late last year and the reasons behind that were never really revealed, but I assume it was just precautionary. We will just have to trust that if Verlander does show any signs of tiring, that Leyland will handle the situation correctly just as he seems to be doing with almost every situation that comes up.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Thu May 25, 2006 1:26 pm

I don't trust yet. Heck, I don't even believe. Mostly I just sit and watch it unfurl in amazement. Is this really happening? Is this really my Tigers?

It's a wonderful feeling. ;-D

Bring on the Yanks, Sox of all colors, Cards. I gots to know.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Fri May 26, 2006 11:13 am

It's not necessarily that I "trust" Leyland all the way, more of I see him leading a team that has the best record in baseball AND he has a track record of doing well with talented teams. At the very least, I think he is far more likely to handle any situations well than less experienced managers that we may or may not have had around here in recent years. I still question some of his lineup decisions, most recently being batting Hannahan #5 in his MLB debut. Talk about throwing a guy right into the fire.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Detroit Tigers