Is it too early to vent a little? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Is it too early to vent a little?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby moochman » Wed May 03, 2006 1:10 pm

True the Tigers pitching hasn't been tested yet, and they have a history of sucking in the second half, so there is room for concern. Shelton looks like he is a little lost at the plate right now, reaching for a lot of pitches. I think he should be sat for a game then moved up to 5th.

It should be interesting to see how long the fat man takes in Erie to get ready and how Leyland will handle it. I mean if he couldn't move Shelton when he was on fire, why would he put fatty in when the Tigers are rolling? That he will be replacing Gomez or Thames makes it easier.

Still we have the second best record in the AL and should just rejoice in being a surprise team instead of a joke. Water seeks it's own level, and so too will the Tigers.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu May 04, 2006 2:30 pm

moochman wrote:It should be interesting to see how long the fat man takes in Erie to get ready and how Leyland will handle it. I mean if he couldn't move Shelton when he was on fire, why would he put fatty in when the Tigers are rolling? That he will be replacing Gomez or Thames makes it easier.
Yes, but strangely enough Thames has been on fire lately and looking temporarily comfortable batting 8th. Of course it won't last and he'll crash in typical Thames fashion, but if he's still going good when DY returns, why prematurely end the streak? He and Monroe have been deadly lately and have been HUGE in the offense in the homestand. Weirdly enough, Thames has had practically all of his production vs RHP, which is a bit of an oddity for him. I guess it's a nice problem to have.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mcqfesijiba » Fri May 05, 2006 11:39 am

Speaking of Thames, where has the guy been the past 2 games? He's on absolute fire on the homestand and suddenly he can't even get into a game? It's just nitpicking, but why would you sit a guy who is killing the ball for 2 straight days? Of course Gomez actually has a hit in both games and was the only guy to get an extra base hit in their loss on Thursday, so it hasn't necessarily hurt the team. Was Thames hurt or is this just another Leyland oddity? I am not a Thames fan, but I want to see the hot bat out there. Didn't they want more of a look at what Thames can do before DY's return today?

Ordonez's K/BB ratio is a little off this year, but I guess at least he's still hitting for some power and average.

Polanco has a .304 OBP which is totally unacceptable for a #2 hitter. And slugging UNDER .300 (!) is not very good either. He still plays great D, but maybe it's time for a lineup switch (move up Guillen to #2 and Polanco to #9?) until he can start to put things together offensively? Also that would open up the 5 spot for Shelton (wishful thinking?). Sorry, but Polanco is HURTING the offense right now more than HELPING.

Hopefully during the time that DY is actually healthy, Leyland won't be afraid to give Shelton a rest from time to time and put DY at 1B.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Fri May 05, 2006 2:47 pm

It is starting to look as if Polanco's season last year may have been his career, or fluke, year. Remember when Easley had that good season then drifted away on his comfy fat contract? I in no way am trying to compare he to Polanco, but I could see him hitting about like his is all season much more than I could him hitting like last year. He should be moved down the line-up, 8th maybe.

Should we also, since we can only nitpick at this point, start to worry about Granderson? I don't know that the pressure of leading off might be a bit much for him at this point. Your boy Inge leading off?
Inge
Guillen
I Rod
Maggs
Shelton
Monroe
Fatty
Polanco
Granderson
I could live with that and see how it works.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sun May 07, 2006 12:08 pm

I think the only thing holding back Polanco is the lack of power. He's never been a big power guy, but he always had enough to rip some into the gap. Now he's sat out a couple of games in a row with back problems and apparently has had them for at least a couple of weeks. Maybe the back problems have been hampering him all year? Back problems can and will sap your power. I don't think he's quite as good as last year, but I do think he is capable of much better as his career averages suggest. However, until he shows that he can do a little more offensively, I think moving him down when he comes back has to be considered.

And I'm going to say it again. GIVE SHELTON A REST!!! DY can handle 1B for a game or two (I think) with Thames DHing. You know, Thames, the guy Leyland seems to not like very much despite an OPS over 1.000? Haha, I can't get over that. Thames's bat catches fire like crazy and he gets benched for Gomez, but when he was like 0 for 10, he played almost every day.

Yeah, Granderson has for the most part been a bit cold lately, but he still seems to get on base. He's inconsistent and looks like he'd be better in more of a run producing role somewhere in the 5-7 spot, but I don't think the experiment with him at leadoff has been a total failure as long as we accept that he will K 150+ times this year, but walk nearly 100 times. Should even hit 20+ HR's.

Todd Jones. First blown save last night even though he's been somewhat shaky most of the year. I'm not ready to give up on him as closer yet, but out of curiosity I wonder what it would take for a change to be made. He hasn't looked all that sharp and there are some good, younger arms behind him. I hope he gets things worked out because an effective Jones makes the bullpen much deeper.

The schedule will get harder sooner or later, so they'll have less margin for error in things like a weak #2 hitter or a shaky closer.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Mon May 08, 2006 1:09 am

Leyland had better not sleep on Jones. He is a high risk closer, just doens't have the stuff to win when his control is off a bit. Rodney or Z have some crazy crap to try and hit, even when they aren't at thier best. Losing that game Saturday should be a huge red flag for Leyland. He needs to be sure to have someone else ready to go when Rollercoaster Jones is on the mound.

Granderson needs to relax a little, I think. He isn't killing the team since he is still getting on base, but he is pressing.
Shelton is to have Tuesday off, but I don't know how wise it was to have him play against Santana today. I'd of sat him and put Fatty in. I also wouldn't have played Infante. He cannot him breaking pitches and was totally over-matched. Might be awhile before he hits again.
Did you happen to notice Thames in the field today? Two ball that wouldn't have been heroic catches that he dropped. Both un-caught balls were insturmental in the first three runs. In fact, Thames didn't catch the fourth run either. What bothered me most was seeing Hunter make that spectacular catch and realizing the Thames didn't even try to dive for either ball. Had he left his feet it would have made both plays easier, and these weren't hard plays to make. So we see that Thames is a poor OFer.

Nice to see Maggs and Pudgie hitting the ball though. This should be an interesting stretch coming up soon. Hope the pitching can hold up.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon May 08, 2006 11:19 am

moochman wrote:So we see that Thames is a poor OFer.
That is definitely his biggest drawback and one of the biggest reasons I don't like him very much. His only hope is to be a DH. He has the power to do so and if he can somehow manage to keep his plate discipline about where it is right now (but that is a big if), he would be a good alternative to DY if(when?) he got hurt, especially if he was kept low in the order as opposed to 5th. However, as a backup outfielder, his bad defense isn't very beneficial and that is what he currently is to this team. Hmm, he's kind of like an OF version of Josh Phelps.

I'm glad Shelton will finally get a day off. He needs to get an extra day off here and there. Maybe not having a true backup first baseman with DY out has contributed to his lack of off days? I hope we see Thames at DH with DY playing 1B.

I wouldn't really think moving Granderson down would be such a bad thing necessarily, but I just don't see it happening any time soon. I think though it's in the teams best interests to hope he stays in leadoff and keeps the OBP up above .350. Hmm, the sample size is still very small, but it is safe to say Comerica hasn't been too kind to Granderson offensively so far this year.

I couldn't help but be impressed watching Santana yesterday. He is one of the best pitchers in all of baseball for a reason. Of course he was helped out with the likes of Santiago AND Infante in the lineup. As mentioned, Infante was absolutely no match for Santana and neither was Santiago. It's unfortunate to face one of baseball's best pitchers and have one of your worst offensive lineups on the field in what turned out to be a close, possibly winnable game.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Mon May 08, 2006 11:25 am

mcqfesijiba wrote:I couldn't help but be impressed watching Santana yesterday. He is one of the best pitchers in all of baseball for a reason. Of course he was helped out with the likes of Santiago AND Infante in the lineup. As mentioned, Infante was absolutely no match for Santana and neither was Santiago. It's unfortunate to face one of baseball's best pitchers and have one of your worst offensive lineups on the field in what turned out to be a close, possibly winnable game.

It was Trammel-esque seeing that line-up out there. I actually couldn't believe it. Why not put Guillen and Fatty in and give Infante and Shelton a rest? That's as close to a rant as I can get right now. Should this turn into a long losing streak and I will be burning Todd Jones in effigy.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed May 10, 2006 10:16 am

what a joke of a game last night...way to blow a game.

Guillen is making me sick with all these errors, he bascially cost the Tigers the wins yesterday. i think i read that the left side of our Infield leads the majors in errors...some things never change

Rodney didnt help giving up 2 bombs in the 7th either

and it seems half our team is hitting .220 with 8 HR. nice all or nothing swings we take. i'm suprised we even got 7 walks off D-cab

...and Granderson needs to practice robbing HR. seems like both of those balls were catchable but he mistimed the jump.
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed May 10, 2006 10:18 am

Guillen's tough season in the field continues. Can't argue with how good his bat is, but hopefully he gets through these fielding struggles. He's proven in the past he's capable of better.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Detroit Tigers