15 Things That Bill James Knows ... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

15 Things That Bill James Knows ...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:16 pm

wrveres wrote:Like I said before .. he wasn't doing anything ground breaking, and he certainly wasn't the first.
This alter you all have put the man on would have Branch Rickey rolling over in his grave.

Its sad.
I should run a word count to see how many times we have said "groundbreaking" in one thread .. :-o

Kolbsaves wrote:Wr, I can't believe you wasted your time on that pointless, ignorant post. Oh well

yeah :-o :-o :-o
I was about two scothces in before I realized how huge it had become. But I had to finish ...

sorry that I peed in your all's church. :-D

That's laughable. No one is saying that every single thing James did was the first it had ever happened or groundbreaking. But the facts are for all of Rickey's work or Earnshaw Cook's work, NONE of it took real hold in baseball. Rickey was regarded as a nutcase by almost all of baseball establishment. Cook's work generated no interest in baseball.

James is responsible (not solely, but certainly ANY objective observer would say fundamentally) for picking up that prior work, extending it, deepening it, adding new insights, testing it with newer and better data, and clearly demonstrating fundamental flaws in conventional wisdom. When he started no one was doing this type of analysis in baseball.

To call it a church is about as misguided a criticism as can be written, because James has always been the first one to argue that nothing should be taken on faith, and that every claim should be subject to analysis.

Furthermore, James is critically responsible for popularizing this, taking it to an ever larger audience. Where he succeeded and Rickey failed is in making people pay attention to his work, see that it was very useful, and then see it become regularly used.

He may not have been groundbreaking or first.

But, he's the way that changed the way millions look at baseball and the way baseball looks at itself....and for the better.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Red Stripe » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:42 pm

Nice read. Bill James always has some interesting stuff to read.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu May 25, 2006 10:52 am

bigh0rt wrote:
koufax57 wrote:wrveres... The only reason you KNOW all this stuff and take it for granted as common knoiwledge is because of the work that Bill James did. This was ground-breaking insight in the 1980s. What are you, 15?

Bob

I'd be surprised if wrs was 15 when this was published. !+)

I was 13 when it was published but I've still read it. ;-D
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Re: 15 Things That Bill James Knows ...

Postby reiser » Thu May 25, 2006 8:51 pm

d18Mike wrote: 1. Minor league batting statistics will predict major league batting performance with essentially the same reliability as previous major league statistics.

amazing that this was ever in doubt.
d18Mike wrote:
6. The chance of getting a good player with a high draft pick is substantial enough that it is clearly a disastrous strategy to give up a first round draft choice to sign a mediocre free agent. (see note #1)

kind of inconsistent with
d18Mike wrote:
14. When a team improves sharply one season they will almost always decline in the next.

d18Mike wrote:
10. A great deal of what is perceived as being pitching is in fact defense.

still significantly disputed imho
d18Mike wrote:
15. The platoon differential is real and virtually universal

what does this mean? split differential?
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers