Carl Crawford? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Carl Crawford?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Mighty Trow » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:54 pm

believe half of what you see and none of what you hear. he has two bags on the season already. not too shabby... and he has been CS at least once; so much for his statement. i'm gonna guess he'll still finish with 40+ SB.
The Mighty Trow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:30 pm

I've recently acquired him and am pretty happy about it. He just snagged a base today. He's said he's gonna pick spots more carefully? Sounds good to me. I'll keep him on base more with less CS's, and still grab some SBs fairly regularly.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Bukoski77 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:46 am

Don’t players usually wait for the signal to steal? I know their allotted a degree of discretion depending on the player as to actually going for the base, but he is a professional. As long as he gets the signal he’ll do his job. An over exaggerated statement if you as me. I take it as serious as his chances of being the #1 fantasy player.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby d18Mike » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:18 am

It's not a rumor. Crawford being more selective the bases this year is a continuation of a practice he started in the second half of 2005. He went 23 or 24 games without stealing a bag to prove his point. Last year he said that he wouldn't just steal to rack up numbers.

Below is a link to the discussion from last year. And it's why I avoided him in the early rounds draft this year.

I put more stock in the 2005 statement and his record since then than his offhand comment about wanting to be a Fantasy stud, which I suspect was said tongue-in-cheek.

He'll probably steal 60 and make me look like an idiot, but Crawford deciding to reduce his SB attempts is like Dunn saying he's going to concentrate on hitting singles. Can't take the risk.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... c&&start=0
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Secret Avatar » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:56 am

As a Crawford owner this is disappointing. It's also dumb for TB. I really don't understand the mentality here. TB needs to play base-to-base and scratch out every run they can. Crawford should be stealing every time he gets on base to try to put himself in scoring position. It's not like there's some slugger up behind him to clear the bases.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bellings » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:09 am

While it sucks for fantasy owners (I don't own him so I'm just smiling...), it does seem like good baseball. I think that you need to steal 2 for everytime you get caught just to break even on runs created, so being more selective will be good for his team.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:10 am

i'm worried, but not too worried. i drafted him hoping for 50SB, if he only gets 40 i'm not going to be totally upset
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Carl Crawford?

Postby kemper5 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:50 pm

I think we will see him steal 35-40, but hit about the same. I see 15-20 HR's, 75-90 RBI's, 100+ runs.. I'll take it on my team
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers