Best strategy in Fantasy Baseball using 5x5 12 Team league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best strategy in Fantasy Baseball using 5x5 12 Team league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby A's » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:45 pm

It doesnt necessarily work all the time, what if hyperthetically you end up with the best first baseman each round, its important to consider position value,
Catcher's are very scarce in baseball so i would rather take a top catcher like martinez or mauer over a top ten outfielder. Why-because outfielder's are very easy to get by.
A's
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:55 pm

My strategy is to make a lot of trades and constantly try and improve. I know some people say when you have a good team you need to wait and stay put with it, but if you are good at making trades then you can constantly be improving. It took me 2 days to turn Oswalt/Pettitte/Tracy into Carpenter/King Felix/Manny. You may say that's bs and your league is full of idiots but all the people are competitive and I didn't rip anyone off. If there's a deal where you get the better player, even if it doesn't suit you for the short-term, you still gotta do it and find other ways to fill the hole you make. This doesn't work for everyone because you need to be good at making trades that other people will do even though you win the deal.

Sorry if I'm rambling, but I'm a very strong believer in my strategy and how I run my team.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby A's » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:33 pm

i sorta agree, the key to what you do is to stay active. You always need to stay up to date
A's
College Coach
College Coach

Postby waterproof » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:31 pm

A's wrote:Catcher's are very scarce in baseball so i would rather take a top catcher like martinez or mauer over a top ten outfielder. Why-because outfielder's are very easy to get by.

Catchers also get a lot fewer at bats. I would much rather have a top ten outfielder over a top 5 catcher anyday. That's a waste of a pick IMO.

That's why I waited until the 17th round to take Barrett, and he is doing fine ;-D

Meanwhile, players like Abreu and Jones are gone in the first few rounds...
waterproof
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby 4Pack » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:11 pm

Sometimes I read these "strategy" threads and shake my head (not saying this is one of them). Is fantasy baseball really that complicated? I play Roto, H2H, Yahoo, Sportsline, TSN, public leagues, private leagues, etc. etc. I have never found the game to be all that difficult to win at. Draft hitters with the first 5-6 picks, focus on your pitching rotation after that (but do not pass up a good hitter still available when you pick), and take 3 bottom of the barrel closers near the end of the draft. Explore trade options and keep an eye on the waiver wire and for the players that come out of nowhere every season to post solid numbers.
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:28 pm

First take the best value player regardless of any pre-determined strategy. Lean your value slightly toward hitters in order to focus more on them but still if you have a solid SP drop to you where they're a good value you've got to take them regardless of the round.

Second I like to target high K/9 sp's that for whatever reason seem to be undervalued. In one league for example I got Vazquez, Webb, Patterson and Lackey all later on in the draft after taking mostly bats in the top of the draft. Those pitchers won't set the world on fire but they're solid across the board and give a good K/9. I can't stress the K/9 enough in a low max ip league like Yahoo's standard roto (1250 max ip). If you get guys with a low K/9 that eat up innings you'll be hurting in the K category.

Finally you want to look for value closers. If a top shelf closer really slides then by all means take him but in my experience that NEVER happens. What you'll be looking for is young closers without any solid competition or with really good stuff (Valverde, Gonzalez and Fuentes were guys I targeted this year). Fill in all of your RP/P slots in daily leagues...in typical Yahoo leagues with 2 RP and 3 P slots get as many quality MR's late in the draft as you need to have 5 total relief pitchers. Not only do they help with ratios and k's (since they're going to put up very good k/9 and you're limited on ip) but some of them like Scott Shields will actually give you a win/ip ratio as good as your starting pitchers if not better (again, wins don't matter as much as win/ip when you're on a limited number of ip).

That's pretty much what I look at during the draft. No, it's not complicated at all. The main thing is to study up on the average draft position and try to identify some guys that you want to target simply based on their value versus where they're going in most drafts. For example, I knew that Patterson, Webb, Vazquez, Davis and Lackey were all going later than I felt they should be doing. I targeted those 5 guys in one of my drafts and got 4 out of the 5 to fill out my 4 sp's I like to carry. If you have an idea of where people typically go you can grab them right before that and as long as you have enough targets that you can afford missing some of them then you won't have one of those situations where you get flustered during the draft when that one 'must have' guy gets taken.

During the year you just need to stay active, keep on the FA list for closers, trade for value early in the season and to improve your roto position (or detract from your competition's) later in the season. Like 4Pack mentioned, it's not all that complicated. The best thing you can do is to really study the league's standings (especially which categories have the most chance to make improvement) right before the trade deadline...there are some trades you can make to pick up a closer, a speedster or a big bat that can completely turn the entire league's standings on its head. In roto those are the type of moves that win leagues...even if you're losing a bit of value you can win a league simply by getting the right guy to make a difference in the categories you need to move up in.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers