Best strategy in Fantasy Baseball using 5x5 12 Team league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best strategy in Fantasy Baseball using 5x5 12 Team league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Best strategy in Fantasy Baseball using 5x5 12 Team league

Postby A's » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:18 pm

Hi, This thread is for everyone that wants to know and share their strategy, I am going to tell you a strategy that is helping me be in first place.

First of all, I decide how I draft first, If I draft offensively. I then draft top closers and I will dominate with offense and give up Wins and K(top starting pitcher's) for saves and era.

My other strategy is, drafting the best player's available, then I stock pile with Starting pitching. Pretty much having only 2 closer's and 7 SP.

If I sound like I am kinda tipsy, I am tired, but I wanna know what you have to say and what your'e strategy Is !!!!!!!!!
later
A's
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Joe Mauer » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:49 pm

Well...in my only roto 5 x 5 12-team league the draft is VERY important as all 22 players drafted start and roster moves can only be made in-season if you have money left from the draft. The average amount of roster moves people have after the draft is around 5 or so per team.

My strategy is simple. With 12 teams you really want to get 3 solid saves guys. This year I got Rivera, F. Cordero and Papelbon at the draft. However, less than 3 hours after the draft I made a roster move dropping Pap for Baez. ;-D The reason you want to be stron here is, baring injury, you will be top 3 or 4 in saves. Get high K guys if you can

With SP you need to grab those guys that fall through the cracks. I got Webb, AJ Burnett, Escobar, Haren and Cain. Get high K guys if you can. SP is sooooo hard to predict year to year that you just gotta hope your research and planning have got you the right group to compete in ERA, W and WHIP.

Hitting is easier to predict how a player is going to do year to year. I want an offense exiting the draft that will put me at the top spot in homers and RBI's while also providing strong run support and a solid average that is in the top-4. Stolen bases I hope for the best, but realistically I'll end up a bottom 4 team there. My offenisive lineup this year: Posada, McCann, Wright, Konerko, Atkins, Edwin Encarncion, Tejada, Kent, Cano, Bonds, Edmonds, Huff, Gomes and Dye.

We'll see how this season turns out.

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby Pochucker » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:57 am

Jees another one week wonder wanting to share their brilliance!
Check back in September -- if your still in contention!
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby tomkatt » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:19 am

Pochucker wrote:Jees another one week wonder wanting to share their brilliance!

Love the positive attitude! ;-D
tomkatt
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby sharksfan1139 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:47 am

tomkatt wrote:

haha yea...i dont think he was bragging, he just wanted to know other people's strategies

sharksfan1139
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Joe Mauer » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:50 am

sharksfan1139 wrote:
tomkatt wrote:

haha yea...i dont think he was bragging, he just wanted to know other people's strategies

Not bragging, just sharing. And for the record, I was not a 1-week wonder this week, unless you count middle of the pack a wonder. :-?

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby TheOmen » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:23 am

I'm a two year wonder, and I'm in second place this year, so here's my strategy. Draft stud infielders first-my first five picks were-Arod,Utley, Berkman,Rollins, Mauer. I then took Krod and Buerhle. From there, I took the best available player.
TheOmen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:19 pm

Every year I do really well. I draft hitting with my first 7-8 picks. Then I pick up closers (Fuentes, Valverde, Dempster) and guys like Scott Shields and Duchsherer to keep my ERA and WHIP low, plus I'll get my sleeper pitchers (Blanton, Vazquez, Escobar, Bush) and I usually pretty well. Keep a close eye on the WW too.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby josebach » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:27 pm

I don't know how you guys can follow a formula. Get the best player available when it's your turn to draft. That's it. Postitional scarcity is important, but not as important as one might think. Passing on Hafner for Jeter is more likely than not going to hurt your team in the long run. It's all about value.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby rentz » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:36 pm

josebach wrote:I don't know how you guys can follow a formula. Get the best player available when it's your turn to draft. That's it. Postitional scarcity is important, but not as important as one might think. Passing on Hafner for Jeter is more likely than not going to hurt your team in the long run. It's all about value.

thats pretty much what i do.
i go in thinking of filling the corner if first, then of.
but if im picking 10, and say.. manny falls there im taking manny.

but basically its hitters the first 5 rounds, then pitching and hitting depending on bpa.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers