Brad Wilkerson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brad Wilkerson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby HYLRedSox » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:19 am

Here's the question...
Do you stash him? Its clear at this point that he shouldn't be in your lineup anymore. Obviously its early, but do you see him picking it up to a level that will be of value to a team (specifics notwithstanding, just in general).
I've personally decided to bench him for Nevin until further notice. What has everyone else decided to do with him at this point?
HYLRedSox
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RAmst23 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:46 am

Thank you for pointing out his career BA wrveres, I didn't realize it was that bad. I guess the thought of him moving to Tex, possibly hitting 25+ with ~12 SBs made me ignore his downsides.

Only plusses for Wilkerson are that he's 28 and should be hitting his hitting peak some year soon. If he starts walking, he'll get alot of runs at the top of the Texas line-up as his career OBP is .360. Hope this guy turns it around.. btw he's an awful basestealer. 44 SBs in his career with 35 CS giving him a 56% clip for his career.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Ender » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:20 am

Thursday wrote:
wrveres wrote:
J.C.Fighter wrote:this is sad ..

you're a leadoff hitter and you only have one walk?

:-t :-/

it is 6 games .. :-o

Yes, 6 games, but you can still walk more than once. Leadoff hitters are supposed to, you know, GET ON BASE.

He's played over 650 games in his career showing the ability to walk, I really wouldn't worry about one week where he just isn't seeing the ball well.
Last edited by Ender on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby josebach » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:37 am

wrveres wrote:
rentz wrote:he's never faced most of these pitchers since he is switching from the national league.

exactly

I think this argument is highly overrated. A fastball is still a fastball. A slider is still a slider. A change-up is still a change-up. Besides, there's been tons of people that switch leagues that experience no-drop off or actually improve their statistics.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby rentz » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:49 am

josebach wrote:
wrveres wrote:
rentz wrote:he's never faced most of these pitchers since he is switching from the national league.

exactly

I think this argument is highly overrated. A fastball is still a fastball. A slider is still a slider. A change-up is still a change-up. Besides, there's been tons of people that switch leagues that experience no-drop off or actually improve their statistics.

then why is it that hitters will sometimes do well until they see the pitcher a second time, and vice versa.

either way, im not ready to write the guy off as a bust after 1 week
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby josebach » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:07 am

rentz wrote:
josebach wrote:
wrveres wrote:

exactly

then why is it that hitters will sometimes do well until they see the pitcher a second time, and vice versa.

I'm not writing him off as a bust either. I just said that argument is overrated. The example you gave only relates to a given game, it has nothing to do with league changes. Remember, it's a two way street. The pitchers aren't familiar with him either. That's why some guys do better when the switch leagues and other guys do worse. Sure, I'll admit there's an adjustment period when guys switch leagues or teams (just look at A-Rod going from Texas to NY), but I believe the reason behind it has just as much to do with working and living in a new environment than it does facing pitchers you've not seen before. Delgado, Thome, Guerrero and Sheffield are all prime examples of guys that switched leagues that experienced no drop off or that got better... and that was just from looking at some big name hitters off the top of my head.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:31 am

wrveres wrote:what you are seeing is what a career .255 hitter, who has K'ed 150 times every season, looks like when he struggles.

were you guys expecting a .300 hitter here or something, just cus he moved to Arlington?

Ah, the voice of reason. I was just getting ready to post the numbers. ;-D

Here's a few more other than his .255 career average:

Wilkerson's never hit over .268 in a season.
He hit .248 last season.
147 K's is his lowest season total of K's (other than in 47 games in '01).
He's getting ready to turn 29 on June 1st.

The only thing that has saved him is a good OBP due to walks. It's still early, so hard to say what he will do this year, but with his consistantly substandard average, I think people are expecting way too much out of him this year.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby .38 Special » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:17 pm

FYI....he is hitting in the 7th spot tonight.....
.38 Special
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MMoNeY24 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:25 pm

.38 Special wrote:FYI....he is hitting in the 7th spot tonight.....

Just noticed that also...

It will probably equate to one less strikeout tonight. !+)
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby giants! » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:37 pm

josebach wrote:
rentz wrote:
josebach wrote:
wrveres wrote:

exactly

I'm not writing him off as a bust either. I just said that argument is overrated. The example you gave only relates to a given game, it has nothing to do with league changes. Remember, it's a two way street. The pitchers aren't familiar with him either. That's why some guys do better when the switch leagues and other guys do worse. Sure, I'll admit there's an adjustment period when guys switch leagues or teams (just look at A-Rod going from Texas to NY), but I believe the reason behind it has just as much to do with working and living in a new environment than it does facing pitchers you've not seen before. Delgado, Thome, Guerrero and Sheffield are all prime examples of guys that switched leagues that experienced no drop off or that got better... and that was just from looking at some big name hitters off the top of my head.

That could very well be a big difference. Big name hitters who have shown the ability to hit consistently and get on base and are experienced have a much easier time adjusting to new pitching. Wilkerson doesnt fit any of these three descriptions which could mean that a new league could be factoring into his struggles
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers