Protective Card Case - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia

Protective Card Case

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Protective Card Case

Postby Smileyman9 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:02 pm

A few months back I bought my first box of baseball cards in what seems like forever and managed to pull a 1 of a kind Bobby Crosby Autograph Memorabilia Card (2005 Upper Deck Artifacts).

I had to send away to get the card, and when it came it was in a plastic case (don't know how to describe it except for that it's not the kind of thing I want to keep it in) - not really "protected" -as much as packed for shipping - the card came between two pieces of cardboard with a styrofoam S shape on the back of one of them to make sure the card didnt rattle around.

Granted, the cards "worth" is limited until Mr. Crosby has a full season, but I'd still like to protect it. My issue is that the card holders I've bought so far work for the regular thick memorabilia cards - but this one is approx 1/8th of an inch thick...what would I buy? 130pt?
Any help is appreciated as I'm rather clueless as to what the deal with the hole point thing is -
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:05 pm

I keep most of my valuable cards in the 1 screw cases. They used to run 3 for a buck, and at worst, fifty cents each. They work well, or at least they did back when I was collecting. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Smileyman9 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:13 pm

Believe it or not, this card is actually thicker then the run of the mill memoribilla card = I'm not sure how to explain it really....
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Arlo » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:35 pm

Hmm... I suppose that if you run out of other options, you could always just send it away to be graded and let the grading company deal with it?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:11 pm

Smileyman9 wrote:Believe it or not, this card is actually thicker then the run of the mill memoribilla card = I'm not sure how to explain it really....

There are screwdowns out there with extremely recessed areas for thicker grade cards. I believe most companies make screwdown cases that hold up to 120 pt. stock.
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Smileyman9 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:21 pm

So far the biggest protector I've seen is 130pts which I ordered and should be getting next week...now, what 130 points means I'm not sure - thanks for the help
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:52 am

If a 1 screw case won't hold it, you could always go to the 4 screw cases. There's no recessed area, but it will keep the card in perfect condition. I've got a few of those as well, and they work just fine. :-)

EDIT: I just realized it's an autograph card. 4 screw case might not be the answer there as it could possibly smudge the autograph. Forget that last suggestion.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Smileyman9 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:58 pm

I guess what I ordered is a 130pt Magnetic Closure Ultra Pro holder...I guess I'll see what that means when it gets here...
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia