Justin Verlander - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Justin Verlander

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mortician » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:08 pm

JoeMoney19 wrote:talk about getting screwed...I go to NYU and live in the city...I don't get either msg or yes, so I can't see any of the mets or yanks games...the only games I can see once in a while are the braves games on tbs...it's an embarrassment, and as a yanks fan, amazingly frustrating

heh...i used to go to NYU and was screwed in the same way...I was in alumni hall and got the crappy campus cable and was missing all the games, so I put in for a transfer to the Water Street dorm so I could get RCN and get the mets games...
Mortician
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fool42 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:11 pm

I grabbed Verlander in a couple leagues and I'm gonna play the matchup game with him. I knew going into the season that he would be big risk so if I only play him when the odds are in his favor I should be able to avoid some of the inconsistenciest that come from being young but also get the some the benefites of having a top notch prospect.
All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies
Fool42
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:20 pm

I'm not a fan of picking up rookie pitchers. It doesn't always work out too nice for every great game you usually get a horrible one
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby jayman » Tue May 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Looks like this pickup is going to turn to gold.
This is kid awesom. Thanks for the heads-up slomo007 ;-D
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Justin Verlander

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Tue May 23, 2006 7:39 pm

slomo007 wrote:He looks absolutely fantastic tonight vs Texas. 91-100 MPH (just saw him hit 100 in the 4th inning!) fastball with good control. 80-83 MPH changeup. 75-80 MPH curve that breaks down.

yes well done slomo. this exact quite sucked me right in. ive been giggiling like a little girl ever since!! hehehehe %-6
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby houstonoilers » Tue May 23, 2006 8:52 pm

99 in the ninth inning after pitching over 100 pitches and only walking one says enough
houstonoilers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby dorje3 » Tue May 23, 2006 8:59 pm

houstonoilers wrote:99 in the ninth inning after pitching over 100 pitches and only walking one says enough

Yes. Yes it does.

Just wait for the Ks to start piling up. Miner, I know you've been talking about the lack there of, but it will happen.
dorje3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Tue May 23, 2006 11:39 pm

Glad he's working out for us guys. One word of slight caution. He has had a ridiculously easy schedule so far, with his main challenge being the first game of the year facing the Rangers in Arlington.

But, he's got Cleveland and NY coming up, so we should see what he's got in store for us. If you are the least bit weary of him, sell him now while his value is high. If you refuse to sell him now, I don't want to hear any b*tching if he lights up our ERAs. :-D

I'm rolling the dice and holding on to him for now. 100 MPH fastballs to go along with a wicked change and curve do not care who is in the batters' box.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby moochman » Wed May 24, 2006 12:36 pm

slomo007 wrote:Glad he's working out for us guys. One word of slight caution. He has had a ridiculously easy schedule so far, with his main challenge being the first game of the year facing the Rangers in Arlington.

But, he's got Cleveland and NY coming up, so we should see what he's got in store for us. If you are the least bit weary of him, sell him now while his value is high. If you refuse to sell him now, I don't want to hear any b*tching if he lights up our ERAs. :-D

I'm rolling the dice and holding on to him for now. 100 MPH fastballs to go along with a wicked change and curve do not care who is in the batters' box.

Another reason to sell high on Verlander is that this is his first year in the bigs. It isn't known how well he will do later in the year, does he go through a dead arm phase, or even if he gets sat toward the end of season. Although he has a easy delivery and never appears to be working, he could get sat once his innings start nearing 170-190. Just a word of caution.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers