Justin Verlander - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Justin Verlander

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Justin Verlander

Postby slomo007 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:08 pm

It's time to claim him in all leagues.

He looks absolutely fantastic tonight vs Texas. 91-100 MPH (just saw him hit 100 in the 4th inning!) fastball with good control. 80-83 MPH changeup. 75-80 MPH curve that breaks down.

I know he is a huge prospect, but he's unowned in several leagues, it's time to pick him up. He's going to be a stud this year, IMO.

If you already own him, congratulations. I should have just started him and closed my eyes and hoped for the best, but I figured I would give him one start to prove his stuff. Well, 4 innings in and he's proved it to me. Yes, that's how good he has been.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:23 pm

I agree i have been really high on this kid. I thankfully had him in four leagues and started him in two them.

It is time to say it,
BREAK UP THE TIGERS!
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 8413
(Past Year: 90)
Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Good Life

Postby The Guru » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:25 pm

I'm watching him; he is making the Texas hitters look like scrubs; Wilkerson is going to have nightmares tonight.

I just picked him up ;-D
(^) (o) - "Let's Hug it out"
The Guru
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 606
Joined: 26 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KolbSaves » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:31 pm

I love the fact that you guys can watch this game and I can't. We have two tv games on in the next week. This is a joke.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3477
Joined: 10 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Detroit, MI

Postby warrick95 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:54 pm

Surprised how good his control has been today. I for one did not think he would be that much of a fantasy asset this year. Guess I may be wrong, although consistency will still be important for him. I guess I was wrong in not drafting him and Liriano. Gotta learn to not avoid the young pitchers sometimes. Ugh...

I wouldn't have started him tonight, either. It's one start. It could've been potentially devastating, so I still think you made the right call.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5440
Joined: 27 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The empty seat next to the Tampa Bay heckler

Re: Justin Verlander

Postby Gags Sports » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:58 pm

slomo007 wrote:It's time to claim him in all leagues.

He looks absolutely fantastic tonight vs Texas. 91-100 MPH (just saw him hit 100 in the 4th inning!) fastball with good control. 80-83 MPH changeup. 75-80 MPH curve that breaks down.

I know he is a huge prospect, but he's unowned in several leagues, it's time to pick him up. He's going to be a stud this year, IMO.

If you already own him, congratulations. I should have just started him and closed my eyes and hoped for the best, but I figured I would give him one start to prove his stuff. Well, 4 innings in and he's proved it to me. Yes, that's how good he has been.


You're probably watching something different than me, but about 10 minutes ago I just saw (on MLB.TV) a graphic on Verlander that showed his high pitch speed for the night at 98 MPH. I've been watching most of this game and he's been averaging 95-96 on the fastball. Texas hitters look TERRIBLE, then again, they haven't done too well this season yet.
Gags Sports
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1713
(Past Year: 12)
Joined: 9 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:58 pm

Hrm, I'm really struggling with the decision to drop Escobar, who looked great vs. NYY but runs a strong chance of being dinged up regularly, for Verlander... :-? :-?

Decisions, decisions...
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24643
(Past Year: 817)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: Justin Verlander

Postby slomo007 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:07 pm

Gags Sports wrote:
slomo007 wrote:It's time to claim him in all leagues.

He looks absolutely fantastic tonight vs Texas. 91-100 MPH (just saw him hit 100 in the 4th inning!) fastball with good control. 80-83 MPH changeup. 75-80 MPH curve that breaks down.

I know he is a huge prospect, but he's unowned in several leagues, it's time to pick him up. He's going to be a stud this year, IMO.

If you already own him, congratulations. I should have just started him and closed my eyes and hoped for the best, but I figured I would give him one start to prove his stuff. Well, 4 innings in and he's proved it to me. Yes, that's how good he has been.


You're probably watching something different than me, but about 10 minutes ago I just saw (on MLB.TV) a graphic on Verlander that showed his high pitch speed for the night at 98 MPH. I've been watching most of this game and he's been averaging 95-96 on the fastball. Texas hitters look TERRIBLE, then again, they haven't done too well this season yet.


I'm watching the Rangers broadcasters on fox sports net. He only had one pitch that hit 100, but he did have one. They were even commenting on how unbelievable that is.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:13 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Hrm, I'm really struggling with the decision to drop Escobar, who looked great vs. NYY but runs a strong chance of being dinged up regularly, for Verlander... :-? :-?

Decisions, decisions...


Escobar will get you k's

and Verlander is still just a rookie, who may struggle at times

You don't have anyone worse than Escobar?
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 8413
(Past Year: 90)
Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Good Life

Postby nathan050904 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:18 pm

Verlanders control is probably one of his strengths for anyone who knows anything bout prospects. He has great command and a fastball for his age.
Image
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 488
Joined: 27 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: louisajn1 and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Apr. 19
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Chi Cubs at Chi Cubs
(1:05 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(1:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Cincinnati
(1:08 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(1:35 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(2:10 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(2:20 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Miami
(4:05 pm)
indoors
NY Mets at NY Mets
(7:05 pm)
Atlanta at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Philadelphia at Colorado
(7:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Texas
(7:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at LA Dodgers
(8:05 pm)
Arizona at Arizona
(8:10 pm)
San Diego at San Diego
(8:10 pm)
San Francisco at San Francisco
(8:40 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact