Atlanta's Closer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Atlanta's Closer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby silentjim » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:52 pm

But the definition of a closer is the guy who gets the saves in fantasy basbeball. So if Hernandez is going to get save opportunities against righties, then I'd say he's the closer to watch. I know what happened in the game, I'm just saying that site stinks.
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod
(Past Year: 76)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:05 pm

You're misunderstanding why they did what they did silentjim...it's not that they wanted Hernandez in there in the 9th because of the righties...it's that they wanted Gonzalez in there in the 8th against the heart of the Reds lineup which is all left handed.

This is something that may happen occassionally but nothing even remotely often...Hernandez will probably steal about 3-4 saves this year is things stay as they are now.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby silentjim » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:20 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:You're misunderstanding why they did what they did silentjim...it's not that they wanted Hernandez in there in the 9th because of the righties...it's that they wanted Gonzalez in there in the 8th against the heart of the Reds lineup which is all left handed.

This is something that may happen occassionally but nothing even remotely often...Hernandez will probably steal about 3-4 saves this year is things stay as they are now.

No, I understand, I read the other threads and the news clippings. I just wrote it the fastest way I could. I understand they don't want Hernandez in there, but he was. If he can occasionally get a save and be a decent setup man, then his value as a closer is exponentially greater then Torres who will only benefit if Gonzalez gets hurt, and he is second in line. This means at this point Hernandez stands to as you say achieve three to four saves while Torres is in line to get zero. I'd say this means Roberto is second in line.

Quote from other thread:

"Roberto Hernandez - R - Pirates

Roberto Hernandez worked a scoreless ninth against the Reds on Sunday to earn the save in the Pirates' first victory of the year.
Pirates manager Jim Tracy opted to go with his best reliever, Mike Gonzalez, when it made the most sense. In this case, that was the eighth inning. Hernandez got to face the weaker bottom of the Reds order in the ninth. Hernandez will probably pick up a few more saves over the course of the year, but he shouldn't have much fantasy value unless Gonzalez gets hurt. Apr. 9 - 4:29 "
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod

Postby checkers » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:24 am

Apr. 9 Chris Reitsma (P) Atl blew his first save of the year on Sunday against the Giants, allowing two runs while recording just one out in the ninth inning. He has allowed four runs in 3 2/3 innings this year, and it could just be a matter of time before either Joey Devine or Oscar Villarreal gets a look in the closer role.
checkers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby beanball » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:46 am

Is Villarreal any better though?

As far as I'm concerned, he's the same if not worse than Reitsma. He throws a lot of hittable pitches...
beanball
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby silentjim » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:44 pm

So far Villarreal has a 0.00 ERA. I think thats a little better than Reitsma's 9.82 ERA. Not to mention so far batters are hitting .333 off Reistma and only .143 off Villarreal. I know its only been a couple of games, but so far the stats highly favor Villarreal.
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates