Lowry - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Lowry

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Lowry

Postby Dr. StrangeGlove » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:32 pm

Any word on Lowry's injury? People seem to be dropping him but his injury didn't look to serious. He might make good use of a DL slot for those starved for pitching.
Dr. StrangeGlove
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TicallionStallion » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:34 pm

No updates from the Giants yet. They were supposed to release some information today. Rumor has it that he is headed to the DL and it's nothing serious.

I'm in a 8 man league (26 man rosters) and someone cut Lowry. I swooped him up quickly. Makes no sense to cut him, at least in a league similar to the size of mine. He was one of the top pitchers in the game in the 2nd half. Was NL pitcher of the month in August. And is young (which means he should get better). Oh, and he plays in a shitty division.

I'm hoping it's minor but he gets placed on the DL so I can free up a roster spot.
TicallionStallion
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby converge241 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:13 pm

officially on DL (hope yahoo updates him tommorrow)

rotoworld

Giants placed LHP Noah Lowry on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right oblique.
The Giants have yet to put a timetable on his return. Three weeks might be the best guess, but absences of up to six weeks are possible with an oblique strain. Since Brad Hennessey struggled at the end of the spring and in his first start for Triple-A Fresno, the Giants will probably put either Jeff Fassero or Kevin Correia into the rotation. They might want to look for some outside help. Apr. 7 - 6:53 pm et
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby TicallionStallion » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:58 pm

Do they usually take that long? Let's hope not. I want to cut the guy I currently have on DL (Todd Jones) and put Lowry there so I can add another player to my active roster. Hello, Chris Reitsma.
TicallionStallion
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby MotorCityKitties » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:33 am

Has there been any word on how long Lowry will be out?
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:03 pm

Here's the rundown on obliques from Will Carroll at Baseball Prospectus writing for Rotowire:

More than any other injury, the oblique strain seems to have come out of nowhere to place more players on the DL than any other. Was the injury unheard of a decade ago or has something else changed? There are a number of theories. Players, especially those who use creatine, tend to be dehydrated during the season, putting muscles at risk. Players also focus on their abs more. All the abdominal exercise equipment you see on late-night TV strengthens the upper and lower abdominals, without balancing the obliques. Muscle strength imbalances are often the precursor to injury. The regular, unconscious use of the muscle group makes it difficult to heal. Core training, a new conditioning technique, is being rapidly adopted throughout sports and could help correct the ab/oblique imbalance. Until then, watch out for this painful and slow healing injury.

I've seen some other articles that say that these injuries can feel better in 2-3 weeks. The problem is that even though there is no pain they're not always completely healed and given the unconscious use of the muscles while twisting, sitting up, etc (not even necessarily during game play) they've very easy to reaggravate. It's the type of injury that the guy starts coming back from right at the end of the the 15 day DL stint and then has a minor setback that pushes them into the 4-6 week range.[/i]
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:43 pm

TicallionStallion wrote:Do they usually take that long? Let's hope not. I want to cut the guy I currently have on DL (Todd Jones) and put Lowry there so I can add another player to my active roster. Hello, Chris Reitsma.

Jones should be back next week and is a better option than Reitsma

as for Lowry, he was dropped in my league but we only have 2 bench spots so i cant justify picking him up (Crisp and Chippe Jones on DL and already have an injured Prior and Todd Jones in a starting slot)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby baseball6791 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:24 am

Update for all of you Lowry owners out there. I heard today that he hasn't been "officially" examined yet so they don't have a 100% solid diagnosis, but the Giants wouldn't be surprised if it was at least a month until Lowry got back.

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby TicallionStallion » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:36 pm

More news on Lowry. If you are in a league where an owner dropped him, pick him up -- ESPECIALLY if you have an open DL spot on your roster.

Apr 14 The Associated Press' Janie McCauley reports San Francisco Giants SP Noah Lowry (side), who is on the 15-day DL with a strained right side muscle, played light catch for the second straight day on Thursday, April 13. He made 75 throws from 50 feet.
TicallionStallion
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Injuries & Player Updates