Cameron Maybin - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cameron Maybin

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Cameron Maybin

Postby JoshExley » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:59 pm

Yoda wrote:
Matthias wrote:Don't know any more about Maybin that Google can tell me, Tommy John. He started off the spring hot but has cooled off a bit now. This was from yesterday.

.278: Cameron Maybin’s batting average through Sunday with the Carolina Mudcats, the Florida Marlins’ Class AA affiliate located in Zebulon. After starting the season with 6 hits in 13 at-bats, Maybin, the former Roberson High player whom the Detroit Tigers took with the 10th overall pick in the 2005 draft, went 9-for-41 (.219).

And then Sportsline's analysis of the situation...
Maybin dominated Double-A last year, too. He likely belongs in at least Triple-A, but Carolina is much closer to South Florida than New Mexico. That is the good news. Maybin could be called up earlier than most elite minor league prospects, especially since he likely should have been the starting center fielder for the Marlins anyway.

In other words, not too much.

Marlins have promoted some of their elite players straight from AA to MLB. They did this with MCab and Hanley so it wouldn't surprise me to see Cameron skip AAA and join the big team mid season.

Actually, HanRam didn't play one single game in Florida's farm system.
The best examples of them pulling guys from AA are MCab - who you said - Dontrelle, and Hermida.

I think Maybin gets the call by June and for keeper leagues he is a must IMHO.
JoshExley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:06 pm

JoshExley wrote:Actually, HanRam didn't play one single game in Florida's farm system.
The best examples of them pulling guys from AA are MCab - who you said - Dontrelle, and Hermida.

Regardless they had Hanley skip AAA and go straight from AA to MLB.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby JoshExley » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:12 pm

Yoda wrote:
JoshExley wrote:Actually, HanRam didn't play one single game in Florida's farm system.

Not really. He played for the Boston Red Sox at the end of 2005. Was traded to the Marlins in the off-season and began the season on the MLB roster. You of all people not doing your research? I am shocked!

As far as Hanley is concerned, the Red Sox - not the Marlins - had him skip AA. The Marlins simply inserted a MLB player into their lineup on Opening Day 2006.
JoshExley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:17 pm

JoshExley wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Not really. He played for the Boston Red Sox at the end of 2005. Was traded to the Marlins in the off-season and began the season on the MLB roster. You of all people not doing your research? I am shocked!

As far as Hanley is concerned, the Red Sox - not the Marlins - had him skip AA. The Marlins simply inserted a MLB player into their lineup on Opening Day 2006.

He played a total of 2 games for the Red Sox. FLA, when they acquired him didn't send him down to AAA so yes, they had him skip AAA also.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby daullaz » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:24 pm

I just read this thread and wanted to point out that Maybin was actually traded to the Marlins. He doesn't play for the Tigers anymore.

;-D
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby teddy ballgame » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:50 pm

daullaz wrote:I just read this thread and wanted to point out that Maybin was actually traded to the Marlins. He doesn't play for the Tigers anymore.

;-D

When did this happen?!
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Slow Pitch » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:04 pm

Maybin is not going to be anywhere near as good as Hanley.

Maybin is a great defensive player though, the only area Hanley is not above average. Maybin wont be a 300 hitter nor have 25 hr power in my opinion in the majors. He will steal ya a bunch of bases though.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:59 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
daullaz wrote:I just read this thread and wanted to point out that Maybin was actually traded to the Marlins. He doesn't play for the Tigers anymore.

;-D

When did this happen?!

From what I understand, it was part of the Orlando Cabrera trade.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby teddy ballgame » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:06 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:

;-D

When did this happen?!

From what I understand, it was part of the Orlando Cabrera trade.

Wait, wait. He's on the Red Sox. How was he involved in a deal with the Tigers and Marlins yet wind up on the Sox? Unless...was he in that other deal with Josh Beckett for Manny Ramirez?
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:45 pm

Slow Pitch wrote:Maybin is not going to be anywhere near as good as Hanley.

Maybin is a great defensive player though, the only area Hanley is not above average. Maybin wont be a 300 hitter nor have 25 hr power in my opinion in the majors. He will steal ya a bunch of bases though.

No one in this thread is comparing Hanley to Maybin so I'm not sure where you are coming from.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers