Is there anyone in the game who has this skill set? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is there anyone in the game who has this skill set?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:44 pm

Yoda wrote:Berkman has superb skills. Hits for average, power, gets on base, etc. He doesn't rely heavily on his lineup and/or a hitter friendly ball park (considering Houston is significantly better for righties and Berkman bats lefthanded most of the time).

Teixeira is a young, exciting power hitter but Berkman is still the better hitter in real life.

I've seen Berkman hit a ton of cheapies, so I wouldn't say that Minute Maid Park is not a factor...Berkman tries to go opposite field when hitting for power because its only 310 to the Crawford Boxes, and I'll bet you about 1/3 of his homers go there. The ball park in Arlington is hitter friendly no doubt, but do they have 310 ft. fences? I don't think so.
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:53 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Yoda wrote:Teixeira was not even top 5 in the AL OPS+ when you park adjust:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_2005.shtml

You can park adjust all you want, the bottom line is that he does play in Texas and he does put up those stats.

But the topic of this thread is, is there anyone with his skill set. Since the topic is based on real life baseball, it make sense to look at real numbes adjusted for park effects.

You're right, to a point. I understand what you're saying, and even the first post I made said that the other young players who are better are Pujols/Cabrera/Wright and I standby that. However at the same time, if we're talking statistically and not talent-based then that is a different story.

I think you're underestimating him due to your pretty obvious anti-Teixeira sentiment and I'm overestimating him due to my pretty obvious pro bias.

I think if he got traded out of Texas to a neutral park, he'd still be a 35 HR threat and .300 hitter. I don't really have the stats to back that up, as his splits admittedly are pretty ugly but just watching him hit tells you he has outstanding talent. It might not be the physics of playing in Texas that he likes so much, as opposed to the fact that he's just used to it. Perhaps he could get used to another park in the AL just as he has in Texas with only slightly negative affects to his numbers due to the different physical dimensions.

There's no way to no for sure, until if/when he is traded. But I have a feeling he'll be a Ranger for a long time so I doubt we'll be finding out anytime soon.

I'm actually pretty netural on Teixeira. It may come off as I am anti-Teixeira since people are always putting him on such a high pedestal. He's a great young player and stands to have a pretty fruitful career.

However, I find there are more people like the original poster around here who think no one is even close to Teixeira's talent. Well, this simply is not true. People need to take their blinders off and look at what the numbers tell you. Teixeira's great but he is far from one of the best. Yet...
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:55 pm

StudentOfTheGame wrote:
Yoda wrote:Berkman has superb skills. Hits for average, power, gets on base, etc. He doesn't rely heavily on his lineup and/or a hitter friendly ball park (considering Houston is significantly better for righties and Berkman bats lefthanded most of the time).

Teixeira is a young, exciting power hitter but Berkman is still the better hitter in real life.

I've seen Berkman hit a ton of cheapies, so I wouldn't say that Minute Maid Park is not a factor...Berkman tries to go opposite field when hitting for power because its only 310 to the Crawford Boxes, and I'll bet you about 1/3 of his homers go there. The ball park in Arlington is hitter friendly no doubt, but do they have 310 ft. fences? I don't think so.

Look, we all get the fact that you like Teixeira. It's obvious. But to say that you've seen Berkman hit a ton of cheap HRs and therefore he is not as good as Teixeira is ludicrous. It is simply not true.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:59 pm

Yoda wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Yoda wrote:Teixeira was not even top 5 in the AL OPS+ when you park adjust:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_2005.shtml

You can park adjust all you want, the bottom line is that he does play in Texas and he does put up those stats.

But the topic of this thread is, is there anyone with his skill set. Since the topic is based on real life baseball, it make sense to look at real numbes adjusted for park effects.

You're right, to a point. I understand what you're saying, and even the first post I made said that the other young players who are better are Pujols/Cabrera/Wright and I standby that. However at the same time, if we're talking statistically and not talent-based then that is a different story.

I think you're underestimating him due to your pretty obvious anti-Teixeira sentiment and I'm overestimating him due to my pretty obvious pro bias.

I think if he got traded out of Texas to a neutral park, he'd still be a 35 HR threat and .300 hitter. I don't really have the stats to back that up, as his splits admittedly are pretty ugly but just watching him hit tells you he has outstanding talent. It might not be the physics of playing in Texas that he likes so much, as opposed to the fact that he's just used to it. Perhaps he could get used to another park in the AL just as he has in Texas with only slightly negative affects to his numbers due to the different physical dimensions.

There's no way to no for sure, until if/when he is traded. But I have a feeling he'll be a Ranger for a long time so I doubt we'll be finding out anytime soon.

I'm actually pretty netural on Teixeira. It may come off as I am anti-Teixeira since people are always putting him on such a high pedestal. He's a great young player and stands to have a pretty fruitful career.

However, I find there are more people like the original poster around here who think no one is even close to Teixeira's talent. Well, this simply is not true. People need to take their blinders off and look at what the numbers tell you. Teixeira's great but he is far from one of the best. Yet...

I do not think Teixera is the best of the best...Pujols, A-rod, Cabrera, Bonds....There are several other players who have superior talent..However, most if not all of them are not switch hitters and most are probably not gold glove quality fielders....Berkman is the best comparison I have heard yet, but I tend to believe that Mark has alot more power, while Berkman is a slightly better and more patient hitter...
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:07 pm

Yoda wrote:
StudentOfTheGame wrote:

Look, we all get the fact that you like Teixeira. It's obvious. But to say that you've seen Berkman hit a ton of cheap HRs and therefore he is not as good as Teixeira is ludicrous. It is simply not true.

Just because I started a post about how talented Mark is doesn't make me a delirious Teixeira-loving idiot....I live in Houston and watch the Astros play....Berkman is a good hitter, but he'll never drive in runs at the rate Teixera does and it is not because of their different ball park situations. It's because Teixeira has more power and he is a more aggressive hitter.....He's also a better right handed hitter.....Berkman is great, but I'll take Teix over him any day.
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:32 pm

StudentOfTheGame wrote:
Yoda wrote:
StudentOfTheGame wrote:

Just because I started a post about how talented Mark is doesn't make me a delirious Teixeira-loving idiot....I live in Houston and watch the Astros play....Berkman is a good hitter, but he'll never drive in runs at the rate Teixera does and it is not because of their different ball park situations. It's because Teixeira has more power and he is a more aggressive hitter.....He's also a better right handed hitter.....Berkman is great, but I'll take Teix over him any day.

Let's see at the end of the season and after we park adjust the numbers, who was more productable.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:08 pm

Berkman with his 18th homer... Where's Teixeira? :-? :-? :-?
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby blankman » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:23 pm

looptid wrote:I heard Ichiro was about to cure cancer and finish his cold fusion machine, but he decided to slap baseballs into the dirt instead.

Seriously.

Its amazing the crap people will believe about this guy. He's only once had an OBP over .400. You can hit all the singles you want, but he's not even the best leadoff hitter in the game and yet people seem to believe he could do anything. Next thing you know people will say he could be a dominant pitcher, "if he wanted to." ;-7 Talk about overrated.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:57 pm

blankman wrote:
looptid wrote:I heard Ichiro was about to cure cancer and finish his cold fusion machine, but he decided to slap baseballs into the dirt instead.

Seriously.

Its amazing the crap people will believe about this guy. He's only once had an OBP over .400. You can hit all the singles you want, but he's not even the best leadoff hitter in the game and yet people seem to believe he could do anything. Next thing you know people will say he could be a dominant pitcher, "if he wanted to." ;-7 Talk about overrated.

Completely disagree. There are just certain players that OBP doesn't matter for. Take Jose Reyes. He has a terrible OBP for a leadoff hitter yet he creates a ton of runs with his legs. Unless Ichiro is getting taken 1st overall in your leagues, do you really have a problem with these numbers from him??

.332 AVG
112 runs
226 hits
10 HR
62 RBI
38 SB

Those are the average numbers for him over the first 5 seasons of his career.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby Yoda » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:59 pm

Teixeira has displayed much better power from both sides of the plate but clearly Berkman is still a better overall hitter.

I'm willing to bet that in most leagues, Teixeira will be picked over Berkman again in 07.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers