Is there anyone in the game who has this skill set? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is there anyone in the game who has this skill set?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:59 pm

Ichiro could switch hit if he wanted to do so...he doesn't because he can get to first base faster hitting left handed. He's actually right handed but learned to bat left handed just to get to first base faster.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bellings » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:19 pm

I don't see why switch-hitting matters. Look at Miggy's splits from last year. He has a .955 OPS against Left, and 0.944 against Right. If you're putting up numbers like that, who cares if it's from the same side of the plate?
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby looptid » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:08 pm

slomo007 wrote:Hafner is a DH while Teixeira is a gold glove 1b, probably the best in the entire league. How are they even comparable?

Mark Teixeira is not the best defensive firstbaseman in the American League. But honestly, who cares about defense at first base?
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby looptid » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:09 pm

I heard Ichiro was about to cure cancer and finish his cold fusion machine, but he decided to slap baseballs into the dirt instead.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:42 pm

Teixeira was not even top 5 in the AL OPS+ when you park adjust:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_2005.shtml
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby slomo007 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:13 pm

looptid wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Hafner is a DH while Teixeira is a gold glove 1b, probably the best in the entire league. How are they even comparable?

Mark Teixeira is not the best defensive firstbaseman in the American League. But honestly, who cares about defense at first base?

Might I ask who you think is? Doug M.? He was not in the AL last year and I'll agree he poses a threat to Teixeira's defensive dominance this year, but he's probably the only one. Travis Lee is actually pretty good too.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby slomo007 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:15 pm

Yoda wrote:Teixeira was not even top 5 in the AL OPS+ when you park adjust:

You can park adjust all you want, the bottom line is that he does play in Texas and he does put up those stats.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:17 pm

slomo007 wrote:

You can park adjust all you want, the bottom line is that he does play in Texas and he does put up those stats.

But the topic of this thread is, is there anyone with his skill set. Since the topic is based on real life baseball, it make sense to look at real numbes adjusted for park effects.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby giants! » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:22 pm

Yoda wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

But the topic of this thread is, is there anyone with his skill set. Since the topic is based on real life baseball, it make sense to look at real numbes adjusted for park effects.

The original poster asked does anybody have this skill set, which implies that when everybody is on the same level (adjusted ops is equal for everybody), is anybody in baseball as good as him. And we see from Yoda's link that on a level playing field, Tex is not top 5 in ops. Adjusted numbers certainly do matte in this thread
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:28 pm

Yoda wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

You're right, to a point. I understand what you're saying, and even the first post I made said that the other young players who are better are Pujols/Cabrera/Wright and I standby that. However at the same time, if we're talking statistically and not talent-based then that is a different story.

I think you're underestimating him due to your pretty obvious anti-Teixeira sentiment and I'm overestimating him due to my pretty obvious pro bias.

I think if he got traded out of Texas to a neutral park, he'd still be a 35 HR threat and .300 hitter. I don't really have the stats to back that up, as his splits admittedly are pretty ugly but just watching him hit tells you he has outstanding talent. It might not be the physics of playing in Texas that he likes so much, as opposed to the fact that he's just used to it. Perhaps he could get used to another park in the AL just as he has in Texas with only slightly negative affects to his numbers due to the different physical dimensions.

There's no way to no for sure, until if/when he is traded. But I have a feeling he'll be a Ranger for a long time so I doubt we'll be finding out anytime soon.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers