Is there anyone in the game who has this skill set? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is there anyone in the game who has this skill set?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is there anyone in the game who has this skill set?

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:52 am

Mark Teixeira

Switch hitter capable of hitting 40 plus HRs while maintaining .900 OPS from both sides of the plate over his career. Also a gold glove calibur fielder....

This kid is scary good.
Can't think of any player quite like him..Maybe the only one close is Beltran (who obviously has alot more speed, but a little less power).
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:11 am

This guy Pujols can hit everywhere, not just in Arlington.

Tex is great, but he hits a lot less outside of his nice cozy ballpark in Texas.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby davidmarver » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:26 am

How about Lance Berkman?
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby cards05 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:46 am

Please go look up Tex's away stats last year and then come back saying that...
cards05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:26 am

Honestly, I think Ichiro (switch hitter) could hit 40HR with a higher OBP% if he really wanted to. His avg would dip some in the process and all of his HR would be just over the right field fence everytime. You ever see the guy hit BP? He'll hit 5 HR to right field on 5 pitches, then 5 line drives down the line on 5 pitches, then 5 hits just out of the infielders reach, etc. It really is quite impressive.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 115)

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:34 am

Except those are off BP fastballs. I remember Dan Pasqua (how's that for a name from the past) could hit these monster shots at Yankee Stadium during BP. Well over the seats in the RF bleachers and off the advertising board behind them. Very impressive. Then the real game started and it was curve ball down and in, swing over the top and sit down.

Ichiro has great bat control, quick hands and running speed. That's his game and he is smart enough to do what he does best.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby MinorityAuthority » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:45 am

cards05 wrote:Please go look up Tex's away stats last year and then come back saying that...

Which one got to you? The <10 HR right handed or the 30+ HR in Arlington. I admit I drafted him high because he's in Texas. Soriano HR stats will go down, and Wilkerson & Mench will go through the roof.
Please help me out...

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=133433
MinorityAuthority
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:41 am

[quote="TheYanks04"]Except those are off BP fastballs. I remember Dan Pasqua (how's that for a name from the past) could hit these monster shots at Yankee Stadium during BP. Well over the seats in the RF bleachers and off the advertising board behind them. Very impressive. Then the real game started and it was curve ball down and in, swing over the top and sit down.

Ichiro has great bat control, quick hands and running speed. That's his game and he is smart enough to do what he does best.[/quote]

Unlike Pasqua, I really don't think it matters to Ichiro who is throwing what and when. He'll do what he wants to do with it whenever he wants to do it. I agree his game all about speed and getting on base. My point being, he can pretty much hit any pitch anywhere he wants including HR if he really wanted to. 1130 hits in 5 seasons prove that.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 115)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:07 am

Havok1517 wrote:Honestly, I think Ichiro (switch hitter) could hit 40HR with a higher OBP% if he really wanted to. His avg would dip some in the process and all of his HR would be just over the right field fence everytime. You ever see the guy hit BP? He'll hit 5 HR to right field on 5 pitches, then 5 line drives down the line on 5 pitches, then 5 hits just out of the infielders reach, etc. It really is quite impressive.

Ichiro hits Lefty. He isn't a switch hitter. Plus he has never had an OPS over .900.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 379)

Postby Ender » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:17 am

Yeah I'm not really sold on Teix yet. He seems like a park induced monster. If he played in say Shea I think he'd have problems posting an .850 OPS.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers