gagne out for months! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

gagne out for months!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Klopos » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:00 pm

chinst wrote:woot! I traded Gagne and Drew for Manny Ramirez last week. Next up, Drew's injury...

I'm assuming you're in a league full of mongoloids. Drew and Gagne for Manny . . . that's hilarious. In my league, you'd get your ass kicked if you traded Manny for that.
Klopos
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:19 pm

Yeah, I was shocked when I heard Gagne could be out indefinitely on the evening news last night. I was more shocked that Baez was a FA in 2 of my leagues and that he was snatched earlier today.

Anyway, the latest report is that Gagne's surgery was a success and Gagne could be back on the field in 2 months at the earliest, according to the Dodgers site. I'm skeptical about the projection of him playing by late June, but if you own Gagne, I'd stash him on the DL for the time being and hope he picks up a few saves in the 2nd half.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 672)

Postby dewey finn » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:50 pm

I was forced to drop Gagne last night for Baez. Couldnt risk having someone else nab Baez before Gagne goes on the DL.
dewey finn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby schmidty » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:30 pm

abstractpoet wrote:When is yahoo going to list him on the frickin DL?

How long do they usually take to update the DL status? Yahoo still isn't listing Gagne as DL.

I ended up dropping him for Papelbon. Would've liked to have moved Gagne to DL, but I had the feeling that someone would've taken Papelbon before too long. So now you can put him down for 30 saves in half a season just to spite me :-b . But it really doesn't look like until after the AS break at best, and probably longer than that to get back his closer position (if at all). At this point, I'd rather let someone else worry about how this story plays out. I'm thinking there's a good chance over the course of the season that Papelbon could do better for me than Gagne anyway (even if he does come back in 2 months and regains the closer role).
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby sj2k » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:22 pm

Official word is gagne is out 6-8 weeks, not the rest of the season
sj2k
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wurthit » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:33 am

Anyone think its the end of his dominating?? Dont see him back in CY young form.
wurthit
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Joe Mauer » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:50 am

I am by no means no doctor.....but I can not see him pitching like he used to. Will he become the closer again? Guess it depends on his recovery. If it is 6-8 weeks I could see the team slowly working him back into being the main guy. Maybe a 60/40 split in save opps for him and Baez. If all goes well after awhile he maybe gets 80 in an 80/20 split with Baez.

But if all does not go well then the Dodgers have to think about their season over Gagne and Gagne might be nothing more than a spot save guy and bullpen guy this season.

Both Baez ($4 million this season) and Gagne ($10 million) are free agents at seasons end. That also makes this interesting. Baez is a solid closer and the team may see Gagne as damaged goods (as well they should) and think that Baez should have a prominent closer role throughout the season and when Gagne comes back get at least half the save opps because maybe the team wishes to keep him happy and bring him back as the main closer next season?

Just my thoughts. Interested to hear others.

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates