Papelbon - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Papelbon

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Bozo » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:40 pm

Papelbon's future is as the #2 or 3 starter, if he closes it will be part time this year. I would think Hansen will close by next year.
In the meantime, I still think Foulke will work his way back in as the main closer this year. I can see the two both getting turns early in the year but as Foulke gets more work I think he wins the job back full time by June.
Bozo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Joe Mauer » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:23 pm

Man....this us going to be an ultra tough decision between Pap and Devine for my #3 closer!

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby abstractpoet » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:45 pm

Bozo wrote:Papelbon's future is as the #2 or 3 starter, if he closes it will be part time this year. I would think Hansen will close by next year.
In the meantime, I still think Foulke will work his way back in as the main closer this year. I can see the two both getting turns early in the year but as Foulke gets more work I think he wins the job back full time by June.

I'll be honest with you; from talking to some Red Sox fans, I get the feeling that Foulke's goose might just be cooked. I don't know if he'll ever really regain his dominant pre-injury form. They might give him a few more chances, but I think for THIS year Papelbon might end up being the guy...even if they want him to be a starter later on. Francona's being political right now; after all, Foulke was an integral part of the championship team. But his stuff isn't anywhere close to Papelbon's at this point.

I don't claim to be any expert, but I definitely think Papelbon is worth grabbing - ahead of any of the marginal closers people might have on their rosters (Miceli, Burgos, Worrell, Weathers, even Reitsma).
Last edited by abstractpoet on Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abstractpoet
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Joe Mauer » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:14 pm

I've made my decision. I am targeting Pap over Devine.

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby goaliemon89 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:48 pm

Joe Mauer wrote:I've made my decision. I am targeting Pap over Devine.

Why does your Sig say "Joe Mauer"? lol
[b]PLEASE HELP ME OUT:[/b] http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=189981

goaliemon89
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Joe Mauer » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:31 am

goaliemon89 wrote:
Joe Mauer wrote:I've made my decision. I am targeting Pap over Devine.

Why does your Sig say "Joe Mauer"? lol

i guess i wanted my name on it since i made it ;-D

Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hoya1982 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:20 am

"The team placed starting pitcher David Wells (knee) on the disabled list because his knee still isn't 100 percent after knee surgery this offseason. The Red Sox won't need a fifth start until the weekend of April 15, but pitcher Jonathan Papelbon could start if needed"

http://fantasysports.yahoo.com/analysis ... ue=fantasy

I read somewhere that Papelbon could be a "goodybag" of fantasy stats which sounds like a good description. Pick up Ks and Wins in spot starts, and saves whenever they can't trust Foulke.
hoya1982
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby idano » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:59 am

another save! ;-D
idano
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Joe Mauer » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:43 am

Dropped Pap for Baez. Hope thats the right move in the end. Right now I am 60/40 on it with the 60 going towards Baez....so I hadda made the move. :-?

Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

3rd save

Postby trevornm16 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:06 pm

pap got his third save of the year....and if this is any indication of how little tito plans to use his bullpen in any save situation...with a 3 run lead against the orioles he used foulke as a setup man in the eighth and paps to close the ninth.....if he was even considering having foulke close a game wouldnt a 3 run lead be the ideal situation?...personally i view this as validation to the theory that paps is new bosox closer for the season.
trevornm16
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates