Papelbon - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Papelbon

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thedude » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:40 pm

Francona: "i could not in godd conscience let the guy who is throwing the ball best sit on the bench." Wow! Looks like Francona might go to Paplebon in the 9th for the time being.

Apperently they met with Foulke in the morning and told him this is what was going to happen.

Via NESN
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HiddenIdentity » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:47 pm

Drop Foulke for him?
HiddenIdentity
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby p32bars » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:05 am

My source always legit.. take it for what it worths...
if you dont like it.. no comments would be nice !

Yes, your source is legit, it's http://www.rotoworld.com/ - I won't argue with you about that at all.

It's just that I go on Rotoworld and read about Papelbon, and then come over to the Cafe and see the same exact blurb word for word.

Put yourself in the writer for Rotoworld's shoes, what if someone just took all your newsflashes and posted them for all to see without giving credit to you or the website you work for? I'd be pretty pissed.

Now, I'm sure there hundreds of other people out there who pass off news as if they are the ones who broke the story. I'm just saying, show a little respect to the people who make it possible for you and I to make decisions with our fantasy teams by providing fast and valuable information to us at our fingertips.

;-D
p32bars
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Chip1010 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:05 am

I'm gonna pick him up and keep Foulke for now. Maybe in a week things will be more clear.
Chip1010
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Brohouse » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:26 am

What I like about Papelbon is that he has Starting Pitcher eligibility in Yahoo leagues so you can add him without removing another reliever.
Brohouse
T-Ball Trainer

Postby afraudsdirty » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:33 am

Just got back from the game. Was in the 3rd row behind home plate. Papelbon was outstanding. He was hitting 95 on the gun. Just overpowered Barajas and Wilkerson.

Too bad I was at the game though. I just missed picking him up in my competitive league :,-(
afraudsdirty
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Joe Mauer » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:11 am

abstractpoet wrote:Takes bold moves to win championships, right?

This is exactly correct. I have yet to draft in my main league (this weekend) so I would prefer this situation to stay a little muddy and unclear until then. But, on the other hand, I previously was not targeting him as one of my closers. Now I am, especially since I can keep him. Wouldn't it be Devine (another guy apparently who might get the ball soon in closer situations...maybe very soon) if I got both Pap and Devine at low prices?

Depending on both is a bold move...one maybe worth taking. :-?

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 29)
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby Joe Mauer » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:55 am

Because the Red Sox have an off-day on Thursday, Francona said he did not want to leave Papelbon idle in this one. The manager also added that it was no slight to Foulke, who didn't get a lot of innings in Spring Training because he was recovering from his knee woes of last season.

"About the only way we were going to do that was the way it unfolded," Francona said. "Seven [from Beckett], go to Timlin, and what I didn't want to happen was get out of town -- we have a day off tomorrow -- and not use a guy that's throwing as good as anybody."

-- link: http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb ... p&c_id=bos

Hmmmmm......maybe Foulke still is the man. Still...I think I will still target Pap at the draft as my #3 closer.

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby thedude » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:31 pm

Joe Mauer wrote:Because the Red Sox have an off-day on Thursday, Francona said he did not want to leave Papelbon idle in this one. The manager also added that it was no slight to Foulke, who didn't get a lot of innings in Spring Training because he was recovering from his knee woes of last season.

"About the only way we were going to do that was the way it unfolded," Francona said. "Seven [from Beckett], go to Timlin, and what I didn't want to happen was get out of town -- we have a day off tomorrow -- and not use a guy that's throwing as good as anybody."

-- link: http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb ... p&c_id=bos

Hmmmmm......maybe Foulke still is the man. Still...I think I will still target Pap at the draft as my #3 closer.

Francona's comments on NESN (when no other reporter was present) was more along the lines of: He doesn't trust Foulke right now. He talked to Foulke earlier in the day and told him he was going to Paps in a close game. And Paps is the guy who trusts right now in a tight game against a good offense.

What i belive this means, is to go back to 2003: Papelbon is the "reilf ace" who will be used in the toughest spots.

This is a Jamesian concept (James is still on the Payroll) and they have wanted to test this theory for a while. James has written that this theory works better than having set roles for a pitchers and Papelbon is young enough that he does not think of him self in one set role.

Foulke will still probably be used in easy saves (3 runs/ or two runs against a lousy offense) while Papelbon will be used when the game is on the line (one run in the 9th, bases loaded in the 7th, Barry Bonds in the 8th, ect.).
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby Joe Mauer » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:02 pm

Thanks for the info. Think Pap will be the full time closer next season?

Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates