Freel: 3 SBs today - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Freel: 3 SBs today

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:49 pm

manroom wrote:I just dropped Randy Winn for him... hopefully that wasn't a mistake

yea it was.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:18 pm

Well, he certainly put a bid in with management to keep him in the lineup today. Not saying it'l be happening in the near future, but if he continues to produce like this on days he's in the lineup, you'd have to think that the Reds would get it sooner or later (then again, it is the Reds...)

If Dunn continues to look like what I would defensively in LF, I could see him moving to 1B opening up LF for Freel to play every day or something like that. Until then, Freel should start against all LHP, and make his way into the lineup somehow vs Righties enough for him to warrant a roster spot. I think he could be the WW pickup that Chase Utley was for some last year, only with different category help. Patience now could pay off huge a month from now until the end of the season.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 817)

Postby bdrotoronto » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:37 pm

bigh0rt wrote:you'd have to think that the Reds would get it sooner or later (then again, it is the Reds...)

I think you just hit the crux of the problem right there.. ;-7
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:13 pm

Actually, I think the 0 Hrs and 25 rbis a season is the crux of the problem. He is certainly better than Womack though...just about everyone is.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j24jags » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:27 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Actually, I think the 0 Hrs and 25 rbis a season is the crux of the problem. He is certainly better than Womack though...just about everyone is.

a leadoff hitters hrs/rbis shouldnt matter, obp, avg, sbs, and runs should. hustle is also a factor, freel has all the tools that make up a very solid leadoff hitter
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby cloverhurstdawg » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:32 pm

sitting on my bench too.
cloverhurstdawg
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Blade » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:39 pm

manroom wrote:I just dropped Randy Winn for him... hopefully that wasn't a mistake

Freel went undrafted in your league? WTF??????? Free Yahoo league perhaps?
Blade
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:02 pm

Blade wrote:

I'd say that Freel went undrafted in a good number of standard 12-team leagues once it was known that he would not be an everyday starter. I certainly know that bumped him down quite a way on my draft board. Last thing I need is for him to get 300 at bats again. However, as I said in a previous post, I feel he will get his 500 throughout the season, either at utility or settling into a spot. Either way, he's making his at bats count thus far.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 817)

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:30 pm

j24jags wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Actually, I think the 0 Hrs and 25 rbis a season is the crux of the problem. He is certainly better than Womack though...just about everyone is.

a leadoff hitters hrs/rbis shouldnt matter, obp, avg, sbs, and runs should. hustle is also a factor, freel has all the tools that make up a very solid leadoff hitter

In real baseball, SBs are not nearly as important as they are in 5x5 Roto. Freel hits 270. His OBP is 370. His OPS 740. That is not terrible but it is nothing special either. Of course, we could compare him to 660 OPS Ozzie Smith, which would make Freel a first ballot HOF'er but unless Freel is hosting TWIB and doing backflips when he takes the field, it will not matter.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby EugeneStyles » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:41 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Blade wrote:

I'd say that Freel went undrafted in a good number of standard 12-team leagues once it was known that he would not be an everyday starter. I certainly know that bumped him down quite a way on my draft board. Last thing I need is for him to get 300 at bats again. However, as I said in a previous post, I feel he will get his 500 throughout the season, either at utility or settling into a spot. Either way, he's making his at bats count thus far.

8-team league, sure. 10-team league, maybe. 12-team or more... I doubt it. Heck, I have him in my 7-team league (which is kinda ridiculous, I must say... Utley, Bay, and A-Rod on the same roster... not that any of them has done all *that* much so far). Of course, I drafted that team before I *knew* that he wouldn't be a starter. But with a 12-team league, his speed, his potential, and the feeling that he's gonna hafta beat out Womack at some point this year, make it pretty sure that *someone* will pick him up.

On the bright side (for me), I turned on the Cubs pre-game show at 11:00am this morning and saw that Freel was gonna start, so I quickly jumped online and benched Huff for him. 3 cheap SB's! :-D
(taps little picture of a microphone)... is this thing on?
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers