Booing your Team - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Mets

Booing your Team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Booing your Team

Postby Rirruto » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:14 pm

Going to Shea and watching the Mets on TV, I never understood why so many Met "fans" boo their players, especially in the most unconveivable times. For example, booing Beltran yesterday, booing Matsui during ST this year and Opening Day last year. Is it the mob mentality? Is it the fact that people think they can do what they want just because they payed for a ticket? I just don't understand how fans think that booing will make a player feel better about themselves and get comfortable. Nice little article I read on Metsblog today:

...posted by Matthew Cerrone...

My position regarding the boo’ing of your own team’s players has always been misunderstood on this site, and I doubt it will get any clearer today, though I’ll do my best to re-explain it…

Boo. It’s fine. I don’t care. However, do it when it’s worthy of being done. Do it when a player isn’t trying. Do it when he calls you “stupid,” like Rey Ordonez did. Do it when a player has a track-record of failing, and needs to know where he stands among the fanbase, which is what I sense is happening with Carlos Beltran, who signed with the Mets for $119 million last off-season, but has yet to statistically live up to his contract. Before you boo him, though, consider the ramifications…

Yesterday was the first game of the season, following a year in which Beltran was injured through much of his first. During the game, thousands of fans sent a cascade of boo’s down on Beltran during the middle of a 1–2 count with two outs in the bottom of the third. Let me repeat that, because it’s worth repeating: they boo’d him for taking a strike in his second at-bat of the season…

Are you trying to run him out of town? Do you want him to fail? Do you want other free-agents to see this and fear coming to New York, more than they already do? Don’t forget, Beltran is just 28–years-old, and plays a style of baseball that doesn’t always turn up in the box-score. I assure you that boo’ing him will not magically make him Albert Pujols. Try. Boo as hard as you can. It just will not happen…

Following yesterday’s game, Cliff Floyd told reporters that when a fan boo’s Beltran, he’s essentially boo’ing Floyd, David Wright, and every other player who works hard and is doing the best that he can. This statement is a tad extreme, but the point is well-taken in that everyone, including Beltran’s teammates, are listening…

Like I said, if it’s June, and Beltran is batting .220, looking lackadaisical, laying down bunts and doing his best Roger Cedeno impersonation, boo until you’re blue in the face. However, it seems to me that boo’ing on a strike in the middle of an at-bat during the first game of the season, as if he were Armando Benitez in September, is only helping him to fail…
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chris8 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:11 am

I really hate it when fellow 'fans' boo Mets players.

What do they possibly think it's going to achieve? If a player isn't trying - say, for example, he doesn't hustle it out to 1B on a close play - I could maybe understand it.

But to boo a guy when he's at the plate, trying to concentrate on putting the ball in play? It just doesn't make sense to me :-t
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 103)

Postby Amazinz » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:39 am

Well I totally agree with you guys. I have always felt that the most vocal idiots (at any ballpark) are not real fans of the game. There is this crowd mentality fueled by beer and the asinine need to "live up" to their reputation as a tough sports town. BUT (yes, there's always a but :-D) this is New York and the baseball crowds have always been this way except for during grace periods. I don't think it's that big of a deal for the players. They may not like it but they can rationalize crowd stupidity as well as I can. If there is a player who can't deal with some harsh crowd reactions we need to ship him out of town because he is going to melt here in NY. :-[
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:27 pm

Look on the bright side; Mets fans don't boo their own players nearly as much as Phillies fans boo theirs.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mets9131 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:39 pm

I went to opening day and todays game and I booed Beltran both games, until he does something I will continue booing that bum
mets9131
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby HiddenIdentity » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:45 pm

I'm fine with the booing if a player deserves it. I mean, what else are you supposed to do to a player who playing like complete crap, cheer him on? What I wouldn't understand, would be booing Beltran in April/May of last year, which I would justify his poor playing to a adjustment period. But after that, I feel its OK. If a player is not doing what he is being paid to do, he deserves to hear the fans discontentment.
And as for Kaz, there is no way that you couldn't boo him. With a batting average as low as his and a glove that seems to be made of bronze, there's no way that you could be happy with him.
As someone said before, this is New York. Its well known to be a place to be filled with fans who are critical of their players and always expect them to perform, and that's why so many players flounder here. The players need to be able to expect that. And it's not like we start to hate our players, the second that they show signs of improvement the boos turn to cheers and the player is aware that we acknowledge their skills and appreciate them.
HiddenIdentity
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:10 am

I don't like to boo my own players, I don't feel that serves any effective purpose and only really hinders a players progress to get out of that slump. That said, I have no problem booing the other teams players.

BUT....

What I really have a problem with is, for example, the assinine and disgusting cheering when Soriano got plunked in the head. Bannister hits him (accidentally) it cracks him right in the head, and the crowd goes wild. I was at that game, and it made me sick. :-t
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby HiddenIdentity » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:16 am

pokerplaya wrote:BUT....

What I really have a problem with is, for example, the assinine and disgusting cheering when Soriano got plunked in the head. Bannister hits him (accidentally) it cracks him right in the head, and the crowd goes wild. I was at that game, and it made me sick. :-t

Yeah, that's no good. Only cheer when the benches clear. ;-D
HiddenIdentity
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Return to New York Mets