Freddy Garcia - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Freddy Garcia

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Freddy Garcia

Postby beezer » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:25 pm

Just looking for some info on him. I read that his velocity was down in Tuesday's game. Is it dead arm or what?? Is he the #2 for the ChiSox??
"I feel the need. The need for speed!"
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Freddy Garcia

Postby biju » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:42 pm

beezer wrote:Just looking for some info on him. I read that his velocity was down in Tuesday's game. Is it dead arm or what?? Is he the #2 for the ChiSox??

I read somewhere that he was trying to preserve himself a little by taking some velocity off his pitches. This is due to his age and understanding he'll need to be more than a power pitcher to succeed later in his career.

Of course, if this doesn't work quickly (meaning in the next game or two) I suspect he'll revert to his faster ways.

Just hope the guy or gal who has him in your league gets fed up with him quickly. Then he'll be cheap.

:-D
biju
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Leiter Fan » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:44 pm

Or maybe its merely the fact that he was very mediocre in his home starts last year (downright awful in some of them actually), and has simply carried that trend into this year.
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:55 pm

I watched Garcia today, and i'm glad i don't have him. He usually throws 92-94. Today he was throwing mid 80's, topping out at 89. They said Freddy wants to throw softer. He got hit hard. Any pitch left up was BP. If he doesn't return to throwing 93-94, he will be quite a disappointment. If i had him, i would deal him, while his 05 season is still fresh in peoples mind. I didn't like is approach at all. Chicago played over their heads last year. It's going to be hard for many of those guys to repeat. Thome looks like he did in Cleveland, great extension and power. Him and Konerko are the only 2 guys i see repeating, maybe Beuhrle.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Ender » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:03 pm

He's a bust according to my draft sheets so I'm glad I didn't pick him. His numbers didnt' support his season last year and they abused his arm too much last year which usually leads to a sub par season the next year.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby CeeLoGreen » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:05 am

I got him late in my draft as my fourth/fifth starter behind Carpenter, Peavy, Mulder and Burnett. Is that where he belongs or should I try and move him??? Might be hard to do after the start today.

Any other opinions on this guy??? ChiSox fan...Where are you?
CeeLoGreen
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:14 am

im thinking of starting him in away games....too many HRs and runs in US Cellular.

I didnt know it was the AL version of Coors until after drafting 3 CWS starters..(Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras. had to stop myself from pulling the trigger on Garland)
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby noseeum » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:34 am

I stayed away from him after seeing his drop in k/9 from '04 to '05

8.9 vs. 5.8.

His career average is 6.7. That don't look good to me. His WHIP was good last year, but that drop in Ks really scares me.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby d18Mike » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:37 am

If anyone drafted him as a #1 or #2 pitcher, they will (and should) be disappointed. He ain't in that category. He's a fine #3 or #4. Garcia is one of the more "momentum" based pitchers I've ever watched. Once things start to go bad, he unravels quickly and he is absolutely unable to right the ship. That's disconcerting. But as a #3 or #4, he'll post some solid numbers.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers