Florida Relief--Miami Herald News - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Florida Relief--Miami Herald News

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:53 pm

Madison wrote:
Leiter Fan wrote:If it makes you feel any better, All Star pitcher Mike Williams (God, its hard to say that without laughing) will probably be losing his job after next week also.

Pittsburgh doesn't have anyone to replace Williams. He's going to keep the job by default. He's got 24 saves this year and he saved 46 last year. He's not going to be replaced.

Update: He just notched his 25th save. 1 inning, 1 hit, 0 bb, 2 k's. No way he gets replaced unless he's traded.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 240Z » Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:48 pm

I really don't think it was all that bad of a deal. Sure they gave up a top notch prospect in Adrian Gonzalez, but I think Jason Stokes has been outperforming him in the minors and they knew that they could move one of them. The big thing in this is not Urbina, who I believe will be a great setup guy, it is the organization's attempt to bring back the fans. I hate to say it, but Jeffrey Loria seems like he actually plans on putting some money into the team and its showing. With some help from Dontrelle Willis, the TV ratings and attendance are skyrocketing. Loria's even been talking about investing $100 million of his own money into building a retractable roof stadium here. Personally I think this was a good move, both for the weak bullpen and for PR.
240Z
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby HYLRedSox » Sun Jul 13, 2003 1:32 am

You just have to remember. GM's don't make these moves with fantasy leagues in mind. They don't care if you just pulled off a blockbuster deal to get Uggy...
But anyways, I don't think its that bad of a move for the Marlins. Like people have said, the Marlins do have Stokes in the minors, who has been doing great. The thing I don't get is why the Rangers got ANOTHER top OFFENSIVE prospect, to go along with Blalock, Texieria and Nix. And they wonder why they have no pitching. This was their opportunity to get a top notch pitching prospect. I mean, they look to have a killer lineup in the next couple of years, but they REALLY need someone who can pitch.
HYLRedSox
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers