Florida Relief--Miami Herald News - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Florida Relief--Miami Herald News

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Leiter Fan » Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:34 pm

Mth, how good are the prospects that the Marlins gave up? If they aren't top line prospects, I don't think the trade was THAT bad, since the Marlins definitely needed someone to bridge the 7th and 8th innings along with Almanza. If these were good prospects though, they should've forced Texas to eat most of Urbina's salary.
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdh » Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:35 pm

One of the prospects they gave up was the #1 overall pick in the 2000 draft.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:40 pm

Leiter Fan wrote:If these were good prospects though, they should've forced Texas to eat most of Urbina's salary.

The article above said that the Rangers are paying 1.4 of the 2 million owed to Urbina for this season. The Marlins are only out 600,000.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Leiter Fan » Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:42 pm

Whoops, didn't catch that. Thanks, Madison.
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby guest » Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:52 pm

the three guys they gave up are quality prospects. the two position players are very good hitters and the pitcher is ok. will "the fresh prince" smith hits very very well and should be watched as a future fantasy contributor. he holds the arizona prep school HR record and has done well in the minors.

but in the near term, it could help teixeira owners. i don't know if Tex qualifies for OF yet, but he probably will soon. i think he will start to get more OF starts, since adrian gonzalez is supposed to be a pretty good hitter, but more to the point, an awesome 1st basemen.

adrian gonzalez was actually rated higher than dontrelle willis.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby ukjohn » Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:57 pm

Florida got screwed in that deal, IMO
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Transmogrifier » Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:38 pm

I agree; Florida got screwed... I'm not a big fan of UU.

ANyway, on my team, I have Looper, and picked up Cordero for insurance. If Looper holds his job, I may trade some for some depth elsewhere. I hope he keeps it--he's done well!
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Super GM » Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:46 pm

Looper better keep his job, because I just aquired him in a trade. I traded awaymy All-Star closer Mike Williams, Dontrelle Willis and Andruw Jones for Todd Helton, Ramon Ortiz and Braden Looper.
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Leiter Fan » Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:44 pm

If it makes you feel any better, All Star pitcher Mike Williams (God, its hard to say that without laughing) will probably be losing his job after next week also.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:50 pm

Leiter Fan wrote:If it makes you feel any better, All Star pitcher Mike Williams (God, its hard to say that without laughing) will probably be losing his job after next week also.

Pittsburgh doesn't have anyone to replace Williams. He's going to keep the job by default. He's got 24 saves this year and he saved 46 last year. He's not going to be replaced.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers