Starting Over - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia

Starting Over

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Smileyman9 » Tue May 23, 2006 5:41 pm

Overall I think it depends on what the expectations of the buyer is. If you're content with collecting run of the mill cards and have expect or are seeking no monetary return value on your collection - then the cheapest series is the route to go...

What it really all boils down to is that as a collector you need to know what your buying and research the series...Upperdeck, Fleer, Topps..all the big names companies do you a favor of posting the checklist for the series online (which gives you good to know facts like how many of each special insert were produced) - I'm sure somewhere on those sites you can also find out the insert to pack ratio which is immensely helpful. The insert to pack ratio is also a great thing to know because it helps you decide if your better off buying the series a pack at a time or a box at a time (Box a time seems to make more sense anyway since cost per pack is USUALLY significantly less).
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bryanspellman » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:31 pm

Well we started over and had a blast, we finished the Topps Series 1 2006 set and my son is awaiting the Series 2 set so we can do that one. The box was cheap and he had a great time putting them in binders....

As for the relics/autos/GU stuff, I find that instead of spending the $85 on a box to get a random one, we go online and find the players he likes and bid on them...so far a Jeter GU pants for 10 and a Posada GU bat for 3....not bad and he is happy and the wallet is still full....

Thanks to all here for the advice!!

"We collected as kids so as adults we should do it for the fun of it! No one ever retired on his card collection, unless he had a Honus!"
AL Only
(Hits, HR, RBI, SB, TB - W, IP, SV, K, ER)
7 Pitchers, 1 each Pos + 4 OF, 1DH
7 Reserve
9 Teams
bryanspellman
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia